Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Bravo on Pro-Choice [Shared Specs]

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
Bravo on Pro-Choice [Shared Specs]

Seshariim
12.13.2011 , 10:35 AM | #1
Moved from general, more appropriate here plus it got eaten by the /whine threads.

INC TEXT WALL

During my personal wait I have found myself looking into the shared trees for some classes; them all being DPS tickled my brain as to why anyone would roll that particular tree on one of the AC's which can perform another role as how could it possibly deal as much damage as the chap with the same talents but double the visible weaponry?

Then I started to notice little things, mostly in the warrior 'seeing as that's what I'll be rolling' like the ability to not only equip a shield generator, but also a 'power generator' replacing the stats you would have lost from missing the offhand saber, well played BW but still that would mean missing out on the fury stacking mechanic AND still losing the white dmg from the offhand so surely it still couldn't be equal?

Then it hit me that even after maxing out one tree, you still have some points to plop into the other two and this is where the difference really kicks into play. Now the Marauder's baseline talents in his first and second [reading from left to right] tree's are actually fairly tame, mostly just increasing rage gen and providing a touch more survivability. But the Juggernaut's excess options? 30% increased smash damage [which another talent allows to become an automatic AoE crit] plus the ability to open every single fight with a FREE force scream? Sign me up.

Now I've spoken about this with friends and they brought up the very good point of the fury group buff making Marauders more desirable for group content as they can buff the DPS and healing of the entire group. Looking again, it seems to me that having so much attention focused on smash means that taking Quake [10% reduction in enemy damage] means that a Juggernaut could bring more survivability to a group in certain situations than a baseline could, and if certain other talents are picked up which greatly improve the Sith's version of sunder armor, then they can buff the groups DMG in an indirect manner as well.

The choice is actually quite a difficult one to make all things considered; and that's when the proper genius of this hit me. This is balance between playstyles; not mirroring, not some constant game of one-upsmanship; honest to gods balancing attempts. For having the courage to try that alone I should like to applaud Bioware's development staff. Bravo sirs et madames!

So the question is left up to you for [being honest] the first time I have seen in a long time..... It's not a matter of which role do you want to be? but also of How do you want to fill it? Magnificent.

Now send me my damn code so I can get in-game already you wonderful people.
Blast away! Open fire! Shoot, kill, maim!
Shoot first, shoot last! Party with me, we'll have a Blast!
Ready, aim, fire! Is your trigger finger as itchy as mine?

"Madness is but a point of view, it deserves the same respect as any other"

Gertbeefrobe
12.13.2011 , 12:35 PM | #2
Well stated sir. Your observations are spot on from what I can tell as well.
Fight smarter not harder.

ChokeForce
12.13.2011 , 12:57 PM | #3
If this gets me in earlier I agree.

Romprstompr
12.13.2011 , 01:48 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by ChokeForce View Post
If this gets me in earlier I agree.
That was funny.