Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Languages, how does everyone understand them all?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Languages, how does everyone understand them all?

Tweej
04.08.2012 , 02:40 AM | #11

JKRevan
04.08.2012 , 07:25 PM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by Timo View Post

Something like that doesnt exist in the SW Universe

Actually it does, its a unwieldy hand held device...

on the now-non-canon origin story for Greedo it mentions he using one of those to translate rodian to Basic when he first faces Han Solo, then Han dismisses it saying he understands perfect rodian..

Jabba also makes a point to speak only on huttese (Says so on the RoTJ novelization), despite being able to speak Ubese, Basic and Rodian.

Han's speaking of Shryywook is based on a story where he has actually been raised by wookiees (not sure if canon, too lazy to look it up on Wookieepedia)

but yea, the amount of NPCs speaking Huttese on this game boggles me, even more-so when these characters are Jedi and Sith, Sith more-so cause of their xenophobia.

Kaisernick
04.08.2012 , 07:52 PM | #13
well since all our characters are heros ie the best of the best its logical to assume they may have been trained in these languages.

Agents- obvious that for infiltration purposes they have studied a wide varity of languages
Smuggler-they have been everywhere so have picked up on these
Bh-same for smuggler
Tropper-probbaly studied them at academy training
jedi and sith-the jedi makes padawans learn languages of other races the sith probbaly do as well.

Kaisernick
04.08.2012 , 07:55 PM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by JKRevan View Post

but yea, the amount of NPCs speaking Huttese on this game boggles me, even more-so when these characters are Jedi and Sith, Sith more-so cause of their xenophobia.
ah but other than sith and republic hutt space is the second biggest regon and its allready established in connon that many outer rim worlds speak it as there main rather than basic due to hutts being the main lets say "goverment" there.

as for sith knowing it even thougth they are xeionphobic, they did take slaves and other force sensatives from concoured worlds

JediXMan
04.08.2012 , 08:04 PM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by Guildrum View Post
I suppose that being a Smuggler, he will deal with all kinds of outlaws and people like that, many of whom will be Wookiees and Rodians. Not to mention, his copilot was a Wookiee, so I am sure he learned a bit from Chewbacca.

I have only heard a few in-game.

Basic (You know, English. :P)
Huttese
Shyriiwook
Droidese
Rodian?

Overall, there are two main languages spoken and some small regional/special dialects in the game.
Mando'a was said at least once, during the Imperial Tatooine bonus series. The guy says "Kandosii!" At least that's what I think he said.

Also, there's the Rakata language.

Xeta
04.08.2012 , 10:33 PM | #16
Rosetta Stone?
Xeta - Bounty Hunter, Mercenary, Assassin, Rancor Handler, etc.
Formerly Flurry (SWG), currently The Bastion (lol)

<Twin Sun Mercenaries>

Jerid
04.09.2012 , 08:21 AM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by CJ_SAX_MAN View Post
How does everyone in this era understand all those different languages that are out there? I don't understand how every person could be expected to learn those many languages. Any lore references on this? I mean especially ones like droid beeping, and wookie-growling.
Not everyone does.
During the Republic side World Quest line on Tatooine, when you're in the Gamorian base, there's a Gamorian that says something in Gamorian (Gamorianese?) and then the Cerka guy on the holo says "I have no idea what you just said...."

Jenovan
04.09.2012 , 10:02 AM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by JediXMan View Post
Mando'a was said at least once, during the Imperial Tatooine bonus series. The guy says "Kandosii!" At least that's what I think he said.

Also, there's the Rakata language.
There's a whole lot of Mando'a if you're a Bounty Hunter (naturally). ;D

There's also Dosha (Trandoshan), which I suppose is pretty uncommon throughout the game, Jawaese, the Ugnaught language, and whatever it is that Khem Val speaks, off the top of my head. :P And we understand all of it! Except, amusingly, the Mando'a, which is never actually translated. (Everyone who speaks Mando'a in-game mostly speaks Basic.)
Ebon Hawk * The Thirteenth Legion * RP/Social/Casual
Kjara | Avidior | Mizret | Ysmena
Forging Fortune * Aviditas

Captain_Zone
04.09.2012 , 10:19 AM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by Jenovan View Post
There's a whole lot of Mando'a if you're a Bounty Hunter (naturally). ;D

There's also Dosha (Trandoshan), which I suppose is pretty uncommon throughout the game, Jawaese, the Ugnaught language, and whatever it is that Khem Val speaks, off the top of my head. :P And we understand all of it! Except, amusingly, the Mando'a, which is never actually translated. (Everyone who speaks Mando'a in-game mostly speaks Basic.)
I believe Khem Val is speaking his native Dashade tongue, and the Inquisitor understands him through the Force. Khem is not only Force resistant, but he's also an instinctive practitioner, and uses his Force Devour ability in combat.
. OPOD
Shivalka: Darth Baras is quite large, isn't he?
Joran Karn: You, my dear Sith, have just mastered the art of understatement.

CJ_SAX_MAN
04.09.2012 , 10:29 AM | #20
I like the translator idea, that totally makes sense.

And as for player characters being extraordinary, that is quite possible too, not to mention supposedly force users can use the force to understand languages (and in Revan's case, allow some unknown alien species to understand your langauge, basic in that case)
Sarthist, Jedi Guardian Guild: Inferno Server: The Fatman
Please help me get Bioware to make my guide into a "sticky"
Guide for players on weak computers: http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=383030