Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Why is there a DS/LS system at all?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Why is there a DS/LS system at all?

Kaisernick
04.06.2012 , 06:08 AM | #21
Dark jedi are simply normal jedi who will do anything they can to save the republic even kill and murder- think Anikan before episode 3 he wasnt exactly a goodie during the war was he but he did it to save the republic and his friends.

the same can be said for troopers granted they are not darkside like the force senstatives think of htem for like paragon and renegade from mass effect.

same is said for good sith they are loyal to the empire but feel that the darkside will only lead to ruin so they hope to change it.

WarGodRwN
04.06.2012 , 06:31 AM | #22
I played my BH as a LS, made perfect sense to me, it sorta gave two fingers to the Sith and showed them that I wasn't their tool but I was my own person, also Jedi can be "Dark" side without being completely corrupt.

Or are you suggesting EVERY Jedi and Soldier in the Republic Army would risk their life to safe other people etc? Didn't think so...

septembersphinx
04.06.2012 , 07:16 AM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by Captain_Zone View Post
Nothing quite so extreme that I've seen.... yet.
Spoiler
It's despicable, but even in the real world certain kinds of ****, particularly where the victim is somehow coerced into giving a semblance of assent, go completely unpunished. I don't know the details of what you're describing, but I could well believe the republic military would happily overlook it due to the effectiveness of the trooper in getting things done.

Would it cause some sort of scandal if it got public? Sure. But as we've seen, the military has plenty of higher ups with tarnished reputations, and enough political corruption that that sort of thing is probably not as uncommon as people would like to think.

Karkais
04.06.2012 , 07:20 AM | #24
DS/LS is a nice system, making dialog choices have some kind of extra effect. However, DS/LS doesnt really offer much currently, there needs to be more stuff than just relics that depend on DS/LS. Id like to see NPCs react to you differently depending whether you are DS or LS.
"What is a Sith? Over time, the beliefs have changed, but one constant has remained. The imposition of one's will on the force, on the environment surrounding one, on the galaxy itself." - Darth Wyyrlok III

Captain_Zone
04.06.2012 , 08:22 AM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by septembersphinx View Post
It's despicable, but even in the real world certain kinds of ****, particularly where the victim is somehow coerced into giving a semblance of assent, go completely unpunished. I don't know the details of what you're describing, but I could well believe the republic military would happily overlook it due to the effectiveness of the trooper in getting things done.

Would it cause some sort of scandal if it got public? Sure. But as we've seen, the military has plenty of higher ups with tarnished reputations, and enough political corruption that that sort of thing is probably not as uncommon as people would like to think.
Spoiler
. OPOD
The New Jedi Code: "Keep Calm & Carry a Lightsaber"

StormNaara
04.08.2012 , 03:45 PM | #26
Dawww, saying that DS is Imperial only and LS Republic only is like saying that all Russians wear earflap hats and keep bears for pets, imo. Diversity - both in game and irl is what matters.

Darth_Solrac
04.08.2012 , 03:57 PM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by Captain_Zone View Post
So you can unlock different Relics as you go. That's my best guess, anyhow.

Without a faction change, Dark Jedi in particular make no sense.
I plan on changing this. My dark grey Jedi Knight/Guardian (see sig.) will indeed be dark, favor the Sith, but not their Empire. He will remain loyal to the Republic in general as all of his friends are Republicans. The compassion he feels for them spurs his desire to fight to keep them from what he does see as Imperial oppression. It's the only thing still keeping him grey.

In short, he will be right on the precipice of joining the Sith, etc. but he doesn't believe he can join the Sith Order without joining the Empire.

Also, the LS/DS system works well enough for me.
Nobody expects the Sith Inquisition!
Guild: Imperial Army.
Darth (Markos) Solrac: LV 50, Dark Sith Sorcerer.
Draykos Solrac: LV 29, Dark grey Jedi Guardian.

Temeluchus
04.09.2012 , 09:58 AM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by Darth_Solrac View Post
I plan on changing this. My dark grey Jedi Knight/Guardian (see sig.) will indeed be dark, favor the Sith, but not their Empire. He will remain loyal to the Republic in general as all of his friends are Republicans. The compassion he feels for them spurs his desire to fight to keep them from what he does see as Imperial oppression. It's the only thing still keeping him grey.

In short, he will be right on the precipice of joining the Sith, etc. but he doesn't believe he can join the Sith Order without joining the Empire.

Also, the LS/DS system works well enough for me.
The problem you run into there isn't that your dark gray Jedi feels he can't join the Sith without joining the Empire,it's that he probably can't join the Sith at all or for a number of years.

Remember becoming a Sith isn't as simple as "I use the Dark Side of the Force therefore I am Sith". It is years of study and training in the dark side of the Force and following the Sith ideology that makes one a Sith.

To illustrate this look at the Sith during the Rule of Two era, Palpatine and Vader were the only Sith, but Palps had numerous force sensitives and Dark Jedi working for him, they just were never given Sith training or schooled in the Sith ways and thus were not Sith and the Rule of Two was not broken. Asajj Ventress,Starkiller,Mara Jade and many more are an example of Dark Jedi working for the Sith but not themselves, Sith.
"Men call me Darkstar, and I am of the night.

Darth_Solrac
04.09.2012 , 11:23 AM | #29
Temeluchus wrote:

Code:
The problem you run into there isn't that your dark gray Jedi feels he can't join the Sith without joining the Empire,it's that he probably can't join the Sith at all or for a number of years.
Been solved that. If you're following my current RP or seen my character bio's, you'd know that my dark grey Jedi's older brother is already an established & prominent Imperial Lord, an Inquisitor/Sorcerer. Their reunion will be soon, will involve him trying to convince him to leave the Jedi Order totally, for good. To become his apprentice as he wants a Sorcerer he can admire & trust to succeed him ultimately. He also plans on breaking Sith master/apprentice tradition as they both still love each other as family, & currently at least, couldn't even phantom killing each other. The younger will succeed the elder in a respectful duel, ultimately. Their main conflict will be their debate over their respective Imperial/Republic allegiances.

Code:
Remember becoming a Sith isn't as simple as "I use the Dark Side of the Force therefore I am Sith". It is years of study and training in the dark side of the Force and following the Sith ideology that makes one a Sith.
See above post.
Nobody expects the Sith Inquisition!
Guild: Imperial Army.
Darth (Markos) Solrac: LV 50, Dark Sith Sorcerer.
Draykos Solrac: LV 29, Dark grey Jedi Guardian.

VanorDM
04.09.2012 , 11:44 AM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by Darth_Solrac View Post
He also plans on breaking Sith master/apprentice tradition as they both still love each other as family
It's pretty well established that with the Sith the above will get one or both of you killed sooner or later.

Sith do not have room for love, not because love itself is a weakness, but rather the object of that affection can be one.

That's why Darth Malus did what he did, not because the emotion made him weak, but because the object of that devotion could be used against him.