Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Why is there a DS/LS system at all?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Why is there a DS/LS system at all?

oMGitsree
04.05.2012 , 04:30 PM | #11
If Bioware makes more PVE content to extend Class stories, I would like to see the option of being a Dark Jedi and becoming a SITH or Vice Versa.
Spoiler
I feel at times storywise, Dark and Lightside loses its potential.

Captain_Zone
04.05.2012 , 04:39 PM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by septembersphinx View Post
I am not saying that dark troopers would never defect to the Empire for the reasons you described.

I am, however, arguing against the idea that you seem to be promoting that it is impossible for an immoral trooper to exist in the republic, or that any who do are idiots. There are plenty of reasons to be loyal to the republic but not espouse light side ideals. There are plenty of ways to hate the empire and make choices that are rabidly republic partisan to a dark side extreme. You certainly meet plenty of military people over all the various planets with various degrees of integrity and loyalty.
Because the Republic Brass would see it all on the Armor cam on every Republic Issue Trooper armor chestpiece (and even NON-Republic issue), and would court martial said Trooper. Probably sentencing him to life in prison. Or at the very least he would lose command of the squad and be reduced in rank for the first offense.
. OPOD
The New Jedi Code: "Keep Calm & Carry a Lightsaber"

Maaruin
04.05.2012 , 04:59 PM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by Captain_Zone View Post
Because the Republic Brass would see it all on the Armor cam on every Republic Issue Trooper armor chestpiece (and even NON-Republic issue), and would court martial said Trooper. Probably sentencing him to life in prison. Or at the very least he would lose command of the squad and be reduced in rank for the first offense.
1. The trooper is special forces. I bet in the real world some special forces units are doing some nasty things, but they aren't published.

2. General Garza herself is more of a "get the job done at all costs"-generals and she commands the trooper. She will protect him vorm being court martialed too hard.
"I was one of many. We were servants of the dark side… Sith Lords, we called ourselves. So proud. In the end we were not so proud. We hid… hid from those we had betrayed. We fell… and I knew it would be so."
-Ajunta Pall

CJ_SAX_MAN
04.05.2012 , 05:06 PM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by Maaruin View Post
There is a very simple explanation for that: The Story needs bosses. So the Jedi have to fight, even if the Warrior doesn't want to. It's a little sad that this creates the imige of the Jedi many Empire players end up with.

When you play a Jedi class, you see that there is discussion about this among the Jedi. Some are really the "all Sith have to be destroyed"-type (council member: Master Kaeden), others are the "all Sith can be redeemed"-type (council member: Master Syo). The council as a whole and also Master Satele tend to agree with the latter.
You could of course say that the more militant are more likly to fight at the front line, so they are those the empire encounters the most.

For Sith Warrior chapter 1

Spoiler
Spoiler

septembersphinx
04.05.2012 , 05:15 PM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by Captain_Zone View Post
See what? Extreme actions taken on behalf of the republic? Killing people that maybe they didn't HAVE to kill, but that killing certainly solved the problem, and prevented potential leaks?

It's not like the dark side options for a trooper are "murder 100 innocent people because you can, and then laugh sadistically." They're more of a "achieve a really important military objective at the cost of innocent civilian life" or "don't go out of your way to perform an unnecessary light side thing because it will waste time from the primary objective"

My trooper, who's mostly light side, has gotten told off for squandering resources on non-essential objectives, and gotten complimented on her efficiency when she took a dark side option.

CJ_SAX_MAN
04.05.2012 , 05:18 PM | #16
As for the faction switching, this is an MMO and making it that rampant would totally mess things up. I could see Bioware making a paid faction switch available where you can shift your character to the mirrored version of it, but other than that, it is too much.

-kobie-
04.05.2012 , 05:22 PM | #17
I am not saying that dark troopers would never defect to the Empire for the reasons you described.

I am, however, arguing against the idea that you seem to be promoting that it is impossible for an immoral trooper to exist in the republic, or that any who do are idiots. There are plenty of reasons to be loyal to the republic but not espouse light side ideals. There are plenty of ways to hate the empire and make choices that are rabidly republic partisan to a dark side extreme. You certainly meet plenty of military people over all the various planets with various degrees of integrity and loyalty.

Hell, General Garza herself gets on your case for taking the "light side" option a few times in the Trooper questline. She'd rack up more than a few DS points taking her "the mission is the No. 1 priority at all times" stance on the road.
Barrahm/Loora/Tylarr
The Arkanus Legacy
The Harbinger

Jandi
04.05.2012 , 05:51 PM | #18
Disable showing LS/DS choice indicators from the interface menu and toggle "Don't show dark side corruption" on and completely ignore it. There, no need to whine about it.

Captain_Zone
04.05.2012 , 09:01 PM | #19
See what? Extreme actions taken on behalf of the republic? Killing people that maybe they didn't HAVE to kill, but that killing certainly solved the problem, and prevented potential leaks?

It's not like the dark side options for a trooper are "murder 100 innocent people because you can, and then laugh sadistically." They're more of a "achieve a really important military objective at the cost of innocent civilian life" or "don't go out of your way to perform an unnecessary light side thing because it will waste time from the primary objective"

My trooper, who's mostly light side, has gotten told off for squandering resources on non-essential objectives, and gotten complimented on her efficiency when she took a dark side option.
Nothing quite so extreme that I've seen.... yet.
Spoiler
. OPOD
The New Jedi Code: "Keep Calm & Carry a Lightsaber"

Temeluchus
04.05.2012 , 09:51 PM | #20
It's really quite simple, Dark Jedi or fallen Jedi do not automatically =Sith. Dark Jedi simply use the dark side of the Force but have no formal Sith training, Sith are trained in and follow the Sith ideology.
"Men call me Darkstar, and I am of the night.”