Question about Dps practice dummies in 1.2

EvilBoots

I read that there will be a chance to try out your dps on practice dummies for every level char at certain locations. So the question is, how the hizzy am i supposed to know what my actual dps is if there is no damage meter implemented into the game? The dummies should come with a damage meter of some sort, just a suggestion. And im guessing many people would agree, we need some damage meters.

I read that there will be a chance to try out your dps on practice dummies for every level char at certain locations. So the question is, how the hizzy am i supposed to know what my actual dps is if there is no damage meter implemented into the game? The dummies should come with a damage meter of some sort, just a suggestion. And im guessing many people would agree, we need some damage meters.

I'm guessing you'd have to parse the combat log that's saved to your harddrive.

That combat log will take up insane amount of space and memory to run, especially in the already laggy warzones. No way people will be turning it on. Some have the best machines out there, but since this game runs on dx9, whats the point of having the best machine out there ? An addon for a damage meter is much easier, it can be erased faster, and provide great data for guilds who want to see which dps on their groups suck and who isnt doing squat.

I do not see anyone raging here. Nothing i said was in rage. It was a question as to what the point is of having a dps dummy in your ship if you cannot see what damage is coming out from it? How is that raging? If they dont implement meters with the dummy, just dont put the dummy out, i dont mind if the damage dummy isnt there, but dont halfass and just give us one part of a 2 part shabang.

That combat log will take up insane amount of space and memory to run, especially in the already laggy warzones. No way people will be turning it on. Some have the best machines out there, but since this game runs on dx9, whats the point of having the best machine out there ? An addon for a damage meter is much easier, it can be erased faster, and provide great data for guilds who want to see which dps on their groups suck and who isnt doing squat.

I believe you'll need to start and stop the log to get it to work. So, if you're working on damage rotations, you could do this with each, and then parse each log to figure out which was the best. Guilds could also turn the log on if they keep wiping on an Ops boss to figure out why. Yes, normally meters would be better, but Bioware is trying to satisfy both crowds. If you want to look at the DPS logs, you can. But, there not accessible enough to where people that use them to grief can do so easily.

Either way, guilds now have a way to figure out why they keep wiping. Which I thought was the main complaint for not having them in the first place.

I do not see anyone raging here. Nothing i said was in rage. It was a question as to what the point is of having a dps dummy in your ship if you cannot see what damage is coming out from it? How is that raging? If they dont implement meters with the dummy, just dont put the dummy out, i dont mind if the damage dummy isnt there, but dont halfass and just give us one part of a 2 part shabang.

You 'can' see the damage, using flytext - you can also parse your combat log to see what is going on with your damage. There are various people who have already released log parsers that give you a good view of what is happening.

I believe you'll need to start and stop the log to get it to work. So, if you're working on damage rotations, you could do this with each, and then parse each log to figure out which was the best. Guilds could also turn the log on if they keep wiping on an Ops boss to figure out why. Yes, normally meters would be better, but Bioware is trying to satisfy both crowds. If you want to look at the DPS logs, you can. But, there not accessible enough to where people that use them to grief can do so easily.

Either way, guilds now have a way to figure out why they keep wiping. Which I thought was the main complaint for not having them in the first place.

Each combat phase has a start and stop tag, the parsers that are out take that in to account.

The really great part about the new features is seeing what killed you and how much damage it did (this happens right in your chat log, also shows your killing blows and how much damage they did). Like last night when I got hit with Seismic something for 26k we kind of figured that should be avoided somehow.

If you really want to know about your dps and how to improve your DPS, then you will download a parser and do the work yourself. It is actually much better then WoW DPS meters. You can get ALOT of details from a parser, which is a great way for a raid leader. It gives them a great picture of what is going on in an encounter. The parser is not all about who is producing the biggest number. Not all end raid bosses should be about producing the most DPS in a given time to down them. It gets old very fast and thanks to DPS meters it seems to becoming the norm now.

Greetings,

We know that many people are interested in talking about combat logs. You may be interested in joining one of these conversations, already in progress:

Combat Logs (General Discussion): http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=373363

Combat Logs Suggestions (PTS): http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=371084

Combat Logs Parser (PTS): http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=364068

We will be closing this thread now. Thank you for your feedback!