Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

No accent on bounty hunters

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
No accent on bounty hunters

Ashu-ri
04.04.2012 , 05:25 PM | #1
All other Imperial side characters have the imperial accent - well, accents of different origins, all bundled under "Imperial". Why does the bounty hunter have no accent? Is it because they are thought to be "independent"?

lokdron
04.04.2012 , 05:32 PM | #2
Er cause the bounty hunter is not an imperial or raised as an imperial?
You have seen it, you have felt it within you as you have traveled with me. The growing anger, the rage, and the power it brings. Yet the power does not build without struggle. Through small cruelties greater ones are born. Kriea/Darth Traya
Dark side eye topic make your voice heard if you want canon movie sith eyes!

Jandi
04.04.2012 , 06:05 PM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by Ashu-ri View Post
All other Imperial side characters have the imperial accent - well, accents of different origins, all bundled under "Imperial". Why does the bounty hunter have no accent? Is it because they are thought to be "independent"?
Like the one above said. BH wasn't raised on an Imperial world, hence they don't speak like one. BH is just working for them.

Osetto
04.04.2012 , 06:12 PM | #4
Bounty Hunter's aren't exactly loyal to the Empire, but they do a lot of business through them. The Republic's official distaste for the profession and the Empire's Mandalorian allies are why any Hunter seeking true fame and fortune (the player's character) typically works through Imperial channels. Lack of an Imperial upbringing and socialization, however, means one would not possess the typical accent, despite such an association.
-------------------- The Fan Fiction Index --------------------

ToEasy
04.04.2012 , 06:13 PM | #5
What I don't get is that people from coruscant usually have british like accents asswell.
The Galactic Basic accent known as "Coruscanti" is similar to a British and Australian accent. I saw that from the star wars wiki. Also the bounty hunter is not born in the empire and is most likely born somewhere else.
"Jedi do not fight for peace. That's only a slogan, and is as misleading as slogans always are. Jedi fight for civilization, because only civilization creates peace. We fight for justice because justice is the fundamental bedrock of civilization: an unjust civilization is built upon sand. It does not long survive a storm." - Mace Windu

Osetto
04.04.2012 , 06:30 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by ToEasy View Post
What I don't get is that people from coruscant usually have british like accents asswell.
The Galactic Basic accent known as "Coruscanti" is similar to a British and Australian accent. I saw that from the star wars wiki.
That is true toward the Rebellion era when Coruscant became the seat of power for the Galactic Empire, it adopts a similar culture. Before then, who knows, maybe Core World 'Pubs enjoy a little posh in their dialect.
-------------------- The Fan Fiction Index --------------------

Joefjr
04.04.2012 , 06:41 PM | #7
What i don't get is

BH-Hired Gun-----Trooper-Works for the Gov'Ment

IA-Works for the Gov'ment-----Smuggler-Hired Gun
"If you rolled an operative to pick a stealth class, you picked the wrong one." - GeoLager

ToEasy
04.04.2012 , 06:47 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Osetto View Post
That is true toward the Rebellion era when Coruscant became the seat of power for the Galactic Empire, it adopts a similar culture. Before then, who knows, maybe Core World 'Pubs enjoy a little posh in their dialect.
Well obi-wan had an accent and that was several decades before the empire came into power.
"Jedi do not fight for peace. That's only a slogan, and is as misleading as slogans always are. Jedi fight for civilization, because only civilization creates peace. We fight for justice because justice is the fundamental bedrock of civilization: an unjust civilization is built upon sand. It does not long survive a storm." - Mace Windu

Ravager
04.04.2012 , 06:47 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Osetto View Post
As mentioned in the SW:TOR art book, the Sith Empire's accent will become the later Core accent that we are familiar with in the Galactic Civil War and Clone Wars several thousand years later. After the second war that happens in-game, the Republic and Empire supposedly "merge," and the Imperial accent becomes the Core's predominant accent. We don't know any details other than that. The current Coruscant accent is the same as the rest of the Republic.

Quote: Originally Posted by Joefjr View Post
What i don't get is

BH-Hired Gun-----Trooper-Works for the Gov'Ment

IA-Works for the Gov'ment-----Smuggler-Hired Gun
Though the Smuggler/IA and BH/Trooper line up combat wise, their stories are very different. I think this is somewhat intentional to make them feel different.
Sexy Panther Fighting Corps!(Spfc!) Selkath.com Forums
The most awesome clubs on Earth. We have a mascot. We are working on the laundromat.
Buskar- The Casual Mandalorian Swinging And Hanging Around Guild

ToEasy
04.04.2012 , 06:52 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Ravager View Post
As mentioned in the SW:TOR art book, the Sith Empire's accent will become the later Core accent that we are familiar with in the Galactic Civil War and Clone Wars. After the second war, the Republic and Empire supposedly merge, and the Imperial accent becomes the Core's predominant accent. We don't know any details other than that.
Well I guess that makes sense.