Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Feedback request from James Ohlen - "Your Star Wars fantasy"

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Feedback request from James Ohlen - "Your Star Wars fantasy"

View Poll Results: Which Star Wars fantasy excites you the most?
Full 3D space battles 1,405 46.54%
Vehicle combat (eg, AT-ATs) 323 10.70%
Pod/speeder racing 444 14.71%
Capital ship battles 847 28.06%
Voters: 3019. You may not vote on this poll

Pathlight-'s Avatar


Pathlight-
04.26.2012 , 02:47 PM | #631
All of the above but if I had to choose one I'd take full 3d pvp space battles.

LizardSF's Avatar


LizardSF
04.26.2012 , 03:02 PM | #632
Heh. Between when I hit "quote" and when it came up, you edited your post. Amusing.

Quote: Originally Posted by Tarka View Post
ROFL. Please do continue to make gross assumptions about people you don't actually know. After all, if you think they are making grossly inaccurate assumptions about the company or other players, then they MUST be doing so, right? And please, do continue to state facts that are obvious. Because how else would people know?
Well, you seem to think it's inobvious that promising features not yet designed or released is an attempt to keep people paying attention to the product's development and felt obliged to tell us this...

Quote:
I mean, this product and how the company conducts itself is a shining example of how an MMO development company should conduct itself, isn't it?
Seems like it to me. It shipped with the same amount of bugs, missing features, and broken designs that most equivalent titles shipped with; it had the same rush of customers in the first week followed by the usual stupid response of opening too many servers and spreading the population to thin; it's had the usual series of emergency patches, bug fixes, and broken patches which cause uproars for the four hours they exist before they're patched again and then forgotten forever; at the 4-5 month mark, they've fixed many issues, produced new content, given us a good sense of their vision for the game (sufficient for anyone to decide if that vision matches their own desires and to quit now if it doesn't).

Having been playing MMOs since, depending on how you count them, either UO in 1997, Neverwinter Nights in 1991, or Isle of Kesmai in 1989, I think I've got enough experience to judge, and I see nothing spectacularly wrong with either the game or the release and development process, as compared to actual games that exist and how they've been released and developed, not some platonic ideal of perfection.

If you don't think the game is fun as-is... well, then you're not having fun. So be it. I can't tell you what you should think is fun. That's too personal. If you're not having fun, quit. Rejoin later if you think the game might have changed for the better. You're allowed to do that.

If you think the game fails to meet the expected standards for a title of its budget and corporate backing, relative to its release date and development status.... then, frankly, your standards are unrealistically high, and you will spend your life being bitter and disappointed, because it's not going to get dramatically better than this with any similar game in near future, and it will likely be worse ofr most of them. There are economic and technological factors that mean that bugs, missing features, and bad design choices will be part and parcel of this genre for many years to come, and if you simply *have* to play a game at release, you'd better learn to deal with it. Or, you could just wait a year or two for the hype to die down (and the first wave of patches to go in), and play it then.
MrLizard.com: All-new material for tabletop RPGs (mostly D&D 4e), occasional rants, and original science fiction and fantasy.
Why the developers haven't fixed that bug yet!
Don't be a looser -- read Grammar For Gamers

Tarka's Avatar


Tarka
04.26.2012 , 03:08 PM | #633
Quote: Originally Posted by LizardSF View Post
.....snip.....
Firstly, I would like to apologise for not quoting parts of your post that weren't relevant to my post that you originally responded to. It was done for clarity.

Secondly, I did wonder when the obligatory shift in discussion would occur, that is often seen on these forums. By this I am obviously referring to going from discussing the ACTUAL details of a post, to clinging to inaccurate assumptions, going off on wild tangents, passing judgement on whether someones expectations are realistic to ultimately inferring that perhaps a person shouldn't subscribe purely because you disagree with them.

But, thank you for your post. After all, no one else has been playing MMO's for nearly as long as you have. And therefore, we have all benefited from such a unique insight.

TLDR: If you don't agree with a persons assessment of a situation, just say so and move on. Giving them your life story doesn't make your opinion any more valid than anyone else's.
Supporter of having the following in the game:
Full Control Space Combat, More Playable Species (not unlockable),
Swimming, Sitting In Chairs, Planetary Day / Night Cycles and other MMORPG elements
MMO's are not meant to be films, and neither should they be movie-studio set tours

Darth_Acherus's Avatar


Darth_Acherus
04.26.2012 , 03:11 PM | #634
Space battles and capital ship battles!
Jung Ma - Nariell 50 Sentinel <Alpha Company>
Jung Ma - Alosa 50 Commando <Alpha Company> (Retired)

LizardSF's Avatar


LizardSF
04.26.2012 , 03:23 PM | #635
Quote: Originally Posted by Tarka View Post
Firstly, I would like to apologise for not quoting parts of your post that weren't relevant to my post that you originally responded to. It was done for clarity.

Secondly, I did wonder when the obligatory shift in discussion would occur, that is often seen on these forums. By this I am obviously referring to going from discussing the ACTUAL details of a post, to clinging to inaccurate assumptions and passing judgement on whether someones expectations are realistic and inferring that perhaps they shouldn't subscribe.
Well, let's try to summarize the flow, shall we?

You: Bioware is fiendishly plotting to TRICK people into subscribing by promising nebulous nothing!

Me: It's a pretty stupid evil scheme, since no one needs to keep subscribing, and can stop paying until/unless the features are actually implemented. How stupid do you think the customers are, or how stupid do you think Bioware thinks the customers are?

You: They ARE that stupid! Look at the post above mine!

Me: Yeah, that post was what we like to call "sarcasm". It's rare on the Internet, but it does occur.

You: You're just a fanboy who thinks the game is perfect!

Me: No, I think it's no worse than every equivalent game. I fully acknowledge the existing bugs, launch issues, and ongoing design flaws. They're within my expected bounds.

You: Stop changing the subject! Bioware is evilly trying to trick us with their evil trickery!

Do I have that right?

I mean, what part of your posts haven't I responded to? You popped in to warn us all of that Bioware was trying to trick us into subscribing by the cunning plan of not actually promising anything or providing a release date; I pointed out this actually provides no reason to keep subscribing (as compared to, say, a fully-developed feature list and a reasonably firm patch date, which would keep people paying if it was in the near future), and Bioware knows it. All proceeded from there.

Quote:
Well, thank you for your post. After all, no one else has been playing MMO's for nearly as long as you have.
I have to conclude that you, at least, haven't, because, if you had been, you'd know better than to expect much more than you got from this game. The alternative -- that you have been playing as long as I have but still don't know better -- would be needlessly insulting. I give you more credit than that.

Quote:
And therefore, we have all benefited from such a unique insight.
I am infinitely glad to be of such service. Sadly, my code is done running and now I have to look at the results, so I'll be less prompt about replying.
MrLizard.com: All-new material for tabletop RPGs (mostly D&D 4e), occasional rants, and original science fiction and fantasy.
Why the developers haven't fixed that bug yet!
Don't be a looser -- read Grammar For Gamers

Tarka's Avatar


Tarka
04.26.2012 , 03:40 PM | #636
Quote: Originally Posted by LizardSF View Post
Well, let's try to summarize the flow, shall we?

You: Bioware is fiendishly plotting to TRICK people into subscribing by promising nebulous nothing!
...which is the first of many incorrect assumptions you made.

Quote:
Me: It's a pretty stupid evil scheme, since no one needs to keep subscribing, and can stop paying until/unless the features are actually implemented. How stupid do you think the customers are, or how stupid do you think Bioware thinks the customers are?

You: They ARE that stupid! Look at the post above mine!
I do believe that I never stated such a thing. In actual fact, I was showing how PR can affect a persons decision as to whether or not they continue to subscribe. I make no assumption about that persons level of intelligence.

Proving that here, yet again, you are jumping to wild conclusions and putting words in other people's mouths.

Quote:
Me: Yeah, that post was what we like to call "sarcasm". It's rare on the Internet, but it does occur.

You: You're just a fanboy who thinks the game is perfect!
Interesting considering said poster never actually made any indication of being sarcastic. You only assume he was. But of course, that didn't stop you from continuing to jump to conclusions about my posts....

Quote:
Me: No, I think it's no worse than every equivalent game. I fully acknowledge the existing bugs, launch issues, and ongoing design flaws. They're within my expected bounds.

You: Stop changing the subject! Bioware is evilly trying to trick us with their evil trickery!

Do I have that right?
ROFL. See above. You are using a typical combination of "strawman" arguments and leading the discussion off on tangents, resulting in reaching some wild conclusions in order to chastise someone.

I really think you need to read the original post you responded to again.

Quote:
I mean, what part of your posts haven't I responded to? You popped in to warn us all of that Bioware was trying to trick us into subscribing by the cunning plan of not actually promising anything or providing a release date; I pointed out this actually provides no reason to keep subscribing (as compared to, say, a fully-developed feature list and a reasonably firm patch date, which would keep people paying if it was in the near future), and Bioware knows it. All proceeded from there.

I have to conclude that you, at least, haven't, because, if you had been, you'd know better than to expect much more than you got from this game. The alternative -- that you have been playing as long as I have but still don't know better -- would be needlessly insulting. I give you more credit than that.

I am infinitely glad to be of such service. Sadly, my code is done running and now I have to look at the results, so I'll be less prompt about replying.
Oh, does that mean we won't be illuminated with such inspirational words of wisdom from someone who infers that he messes with coding a bit? Oh, how ever will we mere mortals cope? Bloggers.....Full of their self inflated and exaggerated sense of importance since the late 90's.


TLDR: I'd suggest you focus more on messing with your keyboard macros, and less on attacking people you don't know with wildly inaccurate assumptions. And perhaps in doing so, this thread can get BACK onto the actual subject for discussion (i.e. James Ohlen's request), and not have it derailed by people who just want to argue for the sake of it.
Supporter of having the following in the game:
Full Control Space Combat, More Playable Species (not unlockable),
Swimming, Sitting In Chairs, Planetary Day / Night Cycles and other MMORPG elements
MMO's are not meant to be films, and neither should they be movie-studio set tours

JarvisW's Avatar


JarvisW
04.27.2012 , 10:44 PM | #637
Its probably been said already, but I say you guys figure out how to buy JTL from Sony and put it in here!!
If you do that, I'd play that even if I had 5 servers full of 50s!!
PLEASE!!
...Could be worse... Could be raining!

Ayla-Sacura's Avatar


Ayla-Sacura
08.28.2013 , 03:20 PM | #638
So when do we get full 3d space combat? Mr. James your post is from 2012 aka last year, some kind of update would be nice. The poll said 3d space combat won so i would like to know where is new space combat because i see same old boring roller-coaster or however you spell it.
“Sure God created man before woman, but then again you always make a rough draft before creating the final masterpiece.”
Active characters Teut'a & Lysandr'a Progenitor server!
https://www.facebook.com/jovana.milosevic.330

ELRunninW's Avatar


ELRunninW
08.28.2013 , 03:26 PM | #639
ZOOOMBIEEEEEEEE RUUUN!!!


You must have missed the post that made it clear that opinion polls should not be taken seriously. It was only to gather an opinion not to give you any insight into future development.

Ayla-Sacura's Avatar


Ayla-Sacura
08.28.2013 , 03:34 PM | #640
Quote: Originally Posted by ELRunninW View Post
ZOOOMBIEEEEEEEE RUUUN!!!


You must have missed the post that made it clear that opinion polls should not be taken seriously. It was only to gather an opinion not to give you any insight into future development.
Yeah i did, i am kinda tired. Anyway they mentioned SSSP so i presume that is it (3D space combat?)........
“Sure God created man before woman, but then again you always make a rough draft before creating the final masterpiece.”
Active characters Teut'a & Lysandr'a Progenitor server!
https://www.facebook.com/jovana.milosevic.330