This was my first MMO. What have I learnt?

Davege_Debou

Ok, so this was the first MMO I have actually played. Previously I was a console FPS player, specifically Halo, CoD and Gears of War. So what have I learnt from my experience?

1) MMO's require a lot of time. Due to being a student I didn't have as much playtime in game as some others who might have more time on their hands. However, last year I was able to reach 15th Prestige on Black Ops. In SWTOR, I only just reached level 32. Maybe I just suck at this game, but oh well.

2) This game requires skill. My alt was a Jedi Sentinel and it was incredibly difficult to master, whereas something such as Halo Reach its very easy to top every single lobby I play in on the MLG playlist.

3) The competitive scene for MMOs appears to be much smaller than something such as CoD and Halo, which were both on the MLG Pro Circuit last year. I know World of Warcraft was a competitive game, and apparently Guild Wars is competitive too. But if that's the case then they would be on sites such as Gamebattles, ClanBase, 360icons etc.

To conclude, my first MMO experience has been very enlightening. I've learnt a lot about the way that MMOs work. They take more skill, are more complex and require more time. However, I do prefer the FPS games such as Halo because they take a different kind of skill and have a better competitive scene. I'm still in doubt as to whether I'll renew my subscription but either way the game has been really fun and I've absolutely enjoyed myself.

Good job Bioware. Fantastic game overall, its taught me a lot.

Refreshing post - 99.9% of 'em here seem to be from hardcore, 10-year vets, heh.

Anyway there are some cool hybrid games you might like. I don't want to take the discussion away from SWTOR, but if you like the idea of persistent worlds while still having the FPS gameplay, Planetside 2 will have both.

I would suggest to stay atleast to finish your story, if you haven't reached level 50 :).

If you indeed are thinking about taking a break or quit that is.

It takes alot more time, well i play Battlefield 3 only, and that takes time to, to rank up etc. Every game i play takes time, from Assassins Creed to Mass Effect, it all depends on how much time you do want to give.

Well hope you had fun, incase you don't wan't to continue. :p

Glad you are enjoying it....one thing I also hope you learn and that is to ignore the constant complainers whiners and doomsayers.

This basically. People doomsday on the forums while everyone in game is still loving it.

Don't know why they stick around to be honest. Go back under the rock they came from.

Ok, so this was the first MMO I have actually played. Previously I was a console FPS player, specifically Halo, CoD and Gears of War. So what have I learnt from my experience?

1) MMO's require a lot of time. Due to being a student I didn't have as much playtime in game as some others who might have more time on their hands. However, last year I was able to reach 15th Prestige on Black Ops. In SWTOR, I only just reached level 32. Maybe I just suck at this game, but oh well.

2) This game requires skill. My alt was a Jedi Sentinel and it was incredibly difficult to master, whereas something such as Halo Reach its very easy to top every single lobby I play in on the MLG playlist.

3) The competitive scene for MMOs appears to be much smaller than something such as CoD and Halo, which were both on the MLG Pro Circuit last year. I know World of Warcraft was a competitive game, and apparently Guild Wars is competitive too. But if that's the case then they would be on sites such as Gamebattles, ClanBase, 360icons etc.

To conclude, my first MMO experience has been very enlightening. I've learnt a lot about the way that MMOs work. They take more skill, are more complex and require more time. However, I do prefer the FPS games such as Halo because they take a different kind of skill and have a better competitive scene. I'm still in doubt as to whether I'll renew my subscription but either way the game has been really fun and I've absolutely enjoyed myself.

Good job Bioware. Fantastic game overall, its taught me a lot.

1). Relatively, SWTOR takes almost no time. I'm at 20 played days, battlemaster and almost full rakata (top tier raid) gear. At 20 played days in other games I may have just finished leveling. The market has shifted a lot here over the last 15 years. It used to be common to spend hours upon hours in the same place camping the same creature. That isn't the case anymore. The 'leveling' part of swtor is on par with the length of Skyrim, with more time wasting, and less novelty items, but that makes sense when you realize that the game can't just make you insanely overpowered indefinitely the way skyrim can.

2. This game essentially copies it's mechanics from wrath of the lich king expansion in world of warcraft. That isn't necessarily a bad thing, but it means they rely very much on the built up community knowledge that existed from another game, and play wise it feels dated compared to newer mechanics elsewhere. This is why they manage to require skill, but then don't give you any way of easily measuring your performance (to judge skill), such as combat logs. Fortunately they've seen the light and are changing things up soon.

3. COD and Halo were built much more with competitive gaming in mind. WoW sort of evolved into it, and GuildWars is much more into it. I think you're seeing BioWare head in that direction with rated warzones, but the world is too big and mechanics a bit too complicated to just jump into that this early. Because the game runs basically two majorly divergent things in parallel (pve and PVP) you have to make sure one doesn't accidentally bleed into the other and cause chaos, and being sure you've done that right takes some time.