Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Which Voice Suits Which Race?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Which Voice Suits Which Race?

Sarashay
04.04.2012 , 05:35 AM | #1
So pretty much, which of the class voices suits which race, or even body type?
I think the Sw voice suits my human quite well[

Reanae
04.04.2012 , 05:52 AM | #2
I think I remade my female trooper twice before settling on a body type 2 for her, it just seemed odd to hear Commander Shepherd's voice coming from a tiny litle body or even something not human at al.

The Female Sith voice is odd sounding at times, especially doesn't fit a Twi'lek at all IMO.

Long_Pig
04.04.2012 , 06:35 AM | #3
I don't think my Sith Inquisitor's voice suits his Pureblood looks at all. He has a softly spoken, pretty dry south east English accent. Most of the other sith npc's have a very rich, arrogant aristocratic accent or slight received pronunciation. Some even sound like Simon Cowell!

As a new-ish player, I was wondering. Do all Empire classes and nps's have English accents and Repubs have American accents? What are Bioware saying here!

LeeC
04.04.2012 , 09:37 AM | #4
that "english accent" is actually not an english accent but an imperial accent. They talk about it a bit in the Rep trooper story line and the IA storyline. The sith and IA have imperial accents but the BH and republic side have republic/hutt accents.

I find my male knight most suits human. Twi'lek seems odd but I could see iridonian or the green guys whose name I always confuse with the blind guys.

also as strange as it sounds, the male sith warrior voice sounds strange coming from a human type 3. I could see it come from a sith pure blood type 3 though.

Captain_Zone
04.04.2012 , 09:51 AM | #5
The male SW VA definitely fits with the Pureblood more than anything else, imo. I played through with my Pureblood SW and his voice just doesn't seem right on any other race, now. lol

Solid Snake as the male Jedi Knight is perfect as either Human or Miraluka, imo. The way he delivers the Miraluka specific dialogue is outstanding.

Male IA VA fits my Chiss Sniper perfectly as well.

Male BH VA fits probably Human or Cyborg the best. My Merc is a cyborg, so that's my take on it.

Now, for some voices they miscast, Male Trooper should have been Adam Baldwin, imo. Also, Doc should have been Bruce Campbell. Then he wouldn't be so freakin' annoying all the time!
. OPOD
Best Dark Side Points in the game: Bounty Hunter ROFLCURBSTOMPING that nobleman on Alderaan when he mouths off.

Striges
04.04.2012 , 10:01 AM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Long_Pig View Post
As a new-ish player, I was wondering. Do all Empire classes and nps's have English accents and Repubs have American accents? What are Bioware saying here!
Yes, yes they do. I really like hearing the different regional accents Empire-side. I don't notice as much variation on the Republic side. There is a character in the Bounty Hunter story with a great Texas accent, though I suppose Bounty Hunters are pretty independent.

I think this has been mentioned elsewhere, but it has to do with the Original Trilogy (OT). The Republic-aligned characters (Luke, Han, et al) are played by American actors while the Imperials (Grand Moff Tarkin, most of the bit parts) are played by British actors. As I understand it, this was partly a deliberate choice by Lucas and partly practical. He cast the main roles with American actors but shot the movies in England, so he filled in with local actors. Bioware stayed with this convention.

Vader gets a free pass. James Earl Jones (Vader's voice actor) is from Mississippi, but I'd listen to him read the phone book.

On-topic though, I've liked the voice acting for all the classes I've played, regardless of species. I get so used to associating the voice with my character that it only feels weird when I watch a video and hear the voice coming from someone else's character.

GraceandDanger
04.04.2012 , 10:24 AM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by LeeC View Post
also as strange as it sounds, the male sith warrior voice sounds strange coming from a human type 3. I could see it come from a sith pure blood type 3 though.
I don't know, the male voice sounds perfect to me on my human type 3 warrior. I guess it depends on the look of your character but the more I play character, the more voice fits imo. Now for the female SW, the voice is definitely tailored to Sith Purebloods.

For my female Twi'lek SI, the voice definitely seems a little too heavy on the accent for a Twi'lek but I love the voice acting a lot so it doesn't bother me much.

donuttyjedi
04.04.2012 , 11:51 AM | #8
I think the voice for the male agent and inquisitor suits a body type 3 chiss

ACLucius
04.04.2012 , 04:54 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Striges View Post
On-topic though, I've liked the voice acting for all the classes I've played, regardless of species. I get so used to associating the voice with my character that it only feels weird when I watch a video and hear the voice coming from someone else's character.
With most of my characters, I have the same feeling. But with my Sage, I don't. I honestly have connected my Sage's voice so closely with the character that hearing another female Consular does not sound like mine at all. I know of course that it is the same lines and voice, but it does not sound like it.

It's weird, but after all my years of playing games, this is the only character I have truly felt was mine. The voice just fits absolutely perfectly with the entire appearance.

It's kind of like watching The Last Samurai. I know that Nathan Algren is Tom Cruise, I can see it, but I do not feel like I am watching Tom Cruise, I'm actually watching a completely different person. A testament to how great an actor Tom Cruise is.
"So far, this game quacks like a duck, swims like a duck, has feathers like a duck but we're told it has a pair of antlers that we have yet to be shown. By all logic, its more likely a duck with a funny hat than a deer." -Omega

Forgon
04.04.2012 , 04:57 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Long_Pig View Post
I don't think my Sith Inquisitor's voice suits his Pureblood looks at all. He has a softly spoken, pretty dry south east English accent. Most of the other sith npc's have a very rich, arrogant aristocratic accent or slight received pronunciation. Some even sound like Simon Cowell!

On the contrary, my SI has the looks and face that match his voice quite well for a pureblood.
Quote: Originally Posted by milmo View Post
No, we need to rant on how this game is exactly like WoW and when we learn it's not like WoW we go into a blood rage. We must aim to be inconsistent, incoherent and contradictory.