Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

*Ultimate* Desktop PC Performance Guide

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
*Ultimate* Desktop PC Performance Guide

salvadorellama
12.15.2011 , 12:48 AM | #21
Good thread, however...

You can get a 60gig SSD SATAIII "boot" drive and a 7200RPM WD Black for storage/games/etc.

This is what I do, I have 20gigs free on my SSD boot drive.

You can't run RAID like this, but I built a high end system and decided to go this route and Windows runs great.

It's something to consider.
A mime is a terrible thing to baste.

Izodius
12.16.2011 , 04:02 PM | #22
Completely agree. A 60GB SSD OS drive makes a world of difference in boot time and performance. It's a great place to get a bit of speed for cheap.

Though it should be noted that running a game off of SSD won't do much for you, other than decrease load times.

Epus
12.16.2011 , 05:24 PM | #23
I just want to make mention of the fact that a clean system (no viruses, spyware, nothing unnecessary running in the background, etc) does have a bit more latitude in what can play SW:TOR.

I have an E6300 processor and a mere 2 gigs of ram in my system at home. Granted, it it helped along by a GTX 460 1gb graphics card, but my processor fails the "Minimum" system requirements.

The trick is I accept I'm only going to get 20-30fps (and I do at low settings, 15-20 at high settings) and I don't run other programs in the background. When I'm playing I only have the SW:TOR and Mumble running. (I obviously have the standard XP services running along with the software for my Okidata printer, Razor game pad, Nvidia control panel, and Intel sound)

Just thought this should be out there since some people may be questioning if they can run it on a given system. Take the time to tweek the system, clean out the crap, and it'll run fine.

Granted, I have not tried out the 8 or 16 person ops yet, but the 4 person flash points work fine on my system and I have yet to have a significant hicup. (The only one I've found is also reported by people with MUCH more powerful systems, so it's not my system but something else yet to be discovered)

Kabrol
12.17.2011 , 02:03 PM | #24
Hello I have a HP pavilion dv7 Laptop..

My specs:
Processor:AMD Phenom ll N660 Dual-Core Processor 3.00 GHz
RAM:4.00GB (3.74gb usable)
System type:64 bit operating system
Graphics card:AMD M880G with ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4250

I have set swtor to the lowest settings including bloom and shadows off. I've tried everything I can't seem to get more than 10 FPS.

I did a minimum requirements comparison from swtor to that of my computer and surpassed them by far. I think that even on the lowest settings of graphics I should be able to atleast play the game. This Framerate makes the game virtually unplayable.. Someone Please message me.. I really need help with this.

PS: All my drivers are updated including my graphics card.

Baizak
12.17.2011 , 02:15 PM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by Epus View Post
I just want to make mention of the fact that a clean system (no viruses, spyware, nothing unnecessary running in the background, etc) does have a bit more latitude in what can play SW:TOR.

I have an E6300 processor and a mere 2 gigs of ram in my system at home. Granted, it it helped along by a GTX 460 1gb graphics card, but my processor fails the "Minimum" system requirements.

The trick is I accept I'm only going to get 20-30fps (and I do at low settings, 15-20 at high settings) and I don't run other programs in the background. When I'm playing I only have the SW:TOR and Mumble running. (I obviously have the standard XP services running along with the software for my Okidata printer, Razor game pad, Nvidia control panel, and Intel sound)

Just thought this should be out there since some people may be questioning if they can run it on a given system. Take the time to tweek the system, clean out the crap, and it'll run fine.

Granted, I have not tried out the 8 or 16 person ops yet, but the 4 person flash points work fine on my system and I have yet to have a significant hicup. (The only one I've found is also reported by people with MUCH more powerful systems, so it's not my system but something else yet to be discovered)
How do you know which to turn off? Some are obvious, but I have some things running in the background and I am not 100% sure what they are. Is there a list to use somewhere?
Proud Member of <The Meat Bags> on the Corellian Run Server
Mains: Mistai and Baltimore

SimonVDH
12.17.2011 , 05:16 PM | #26
My PC is:
Asus mn2e sli
Athlon X2 5600+ Dual Core 2.8 GHz
Radeon HD 5770 1GB GDDR5 (latest 11.12 Catalyst driver)
2 GB DDR2 RAM
Win XP

I run the game in 1600x900, everything on high (including Bloom), no shadows, no AA.
I get stable >30 FPS, but I've been only Tython so far.

I use programs such as "Wise Disk Cleaner" "Wise Registry Cleaner" "Auslogic Disk Defrag" "Malwarebytes" regularly.
I don't have any programs beside AntiVirus (Avira Personal Edition) and Logitech Set Point running in background while playing.

I know I can upgrade CPU on this motherboard (with BIOS update) to quad core.
I don't know if I should upgrade RAM to 4 GB or 8 GB (DDR2 only for this mobo). I asuume I will upgrade Windows aswell eventually .

SimonVDH
12.17.2011 , 05:18 PM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by Baizak View Post
How do you know which to turn off? Some are obvious, but I have some things running in the background and I am not 100% sure what they are. Is there a list to use somewhere?
Just google them.

Holden_Dissent
12.17.2011 , 05:20 PM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by billiejackfu View Post
Incorrect. The easiest way to find this information is not by downloading something. Right-Click "My Computer" (Windows XP) or "Computer" (Windows Vista/7) and Choose Properties. Your Processor information is listed in System Information. Shortcut: Windows Key + Pause Break.

I'm going to have to disagree, my Phenom II x4 940 smokes the Core i3 and i5 on your list on stock settings, let alone I have overclocked it to a 965 BE.
I love my BE 940. 3.1 ghz a core here.

Kookus
12.17.2011 , 05:49 PM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by billiejackfu View Post
I'm going to have to disagree, my Phenom II x4 940 smokes the Core i3 and i5 on your list on stock settings, let alone I have overclocked it to a 965 BE.
Agreed. You can rely on Tom's Hardware to tell you what the hottest products are, or you can rely on your own two eyes... and mine have seen this 1090T blow away Sandy Bridge builds every time we do a LAN party. And when it comes to pure horsepower, such as is needed for video encoding, it's a bloodbath.

DECEMBERIST

Epiphone
12.17.2011 , 06:22 PM | #30
So I've been having MAJOR lag/FPS issues and it's very disappointing. I average about 10 FPS and in warzones and cities like Coruscant, literally 1-5 FPS. Yes, it's bad.

I used this website to see if my computer exceeds the specs for TOR and everything passed the test except for this...

Minimum: AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core 4000+ or better, Intel Core 2 Duo Processor 2.0 GHz or better
You Have: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.40GHz

(These reqs being for TOR)

So myself not being very computer savy at all, I'm assuming the only way to fix this is to purchase a better processor? Or is there any quick fixes or driver download that can fix this?

I'm guessing I have a single core process and there is nothing I can do about it...
House Of Karrdes
Brando - PvP Officer
WebsiteOfficial PageRecruitment
Standard Edition VIP