Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

*Ultimate* Desktop PC Performance Guide

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
*Ultimate* Desktop PC Performance Guide

Dekadez
12.14.2011 , 05:22 PM | #11
Keep the thread active so it doesn't drown in QQ.

TheReckless
12.14.2011 , 05:24 PM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by Lilitsu View Post
Wow this is awesome. Whats the main difference running two GPUs at x16 instead of both at x8? and can you run one at x16 and one at x8 (altough i doubt you can)
Both cards at x16 takes advantage of all the available (bus? been awhile since I looked into sli/cf) bandwidth. You can run with one in x16 and x8 as most of the mid range motherboards come with that configuration.
We Be Puggin

happysister
12.14.2011 , 06:02 PM | #13
excellent post.

noob question here. can you use a program like Speccy to figure out what power supply you have, or do you have to open up your machine to see?
The Kipplar Legacy ~ Proud Founder of The Old Republic
The Heroes of The Republic

billiejackfu
12.14.2011 , 06:15 PM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by Sprigum View Post
To find out what CPU you have the easiest method is to download and install CPU-Z.
Incorrect. The easiest way to find this information is not by downloading something. Right-Click "My Computer" (Windows XP) or "Computer" (Windows Vista/7) and Choose Properties. Your Processor information is listed in System Information. Shortcut: Windows Key + Pause Break.

Quote: Originally Posted by Sprigum View Post
Magenta is for the Top 3 recommend CPU's, based on Price/Performance/Power Consumption/Platform/Overall quality. I'm an AMD fan. These are merely the facts.
I'm going to have to disagree, my Phenom II x4 940 smokes the Core i3 and i5 on your list on stock settings, let alone I have overclocked it to a 965 BE.
<December Crew - Republic PvE West>
Guild Master on The Jekk'Jekk Tarr
Jedi Consular (Sage) Server: The Jekk'Jekk Tarr

Darthzippen
12.14.2011 , 08:01 PM | #15
Thank you so much for this in-dept look into what is needed. I am still running Radeon HD 2600 XT, and I did get a few issues in beta and had to tweak some things down to still play at a decent resolution. My PC is pretty old, Intel Core Duo E6550(Dell MB) and 4gig DDR2. But I was able to find a playable set of settings with only minor annoying artifacts, and or lags here and there. But I am definetly looking to purchase a new PC or at least for now a beefed up GPU in the next few weeks...

Again thanks for the great info

MacPasty
12.14.2011 , 08:30 PM | #16
So all and all I'm still under 1000 bucks to build this and i spent way more then needed:
AMD 955 BE overclocked to over 4ghz
corsair 120g SSD
normal 500g HHD
corsair H100 water cooler
8 gigs of ram
GTS 450 which I've also overclocked.

I run crysis 2 maxed out and dont drop below 30 FPS ever (mostly around 50-60)

Skyrim maxed out but for shadows and around 30 texture and shadow mods running 35-75 FPS.

BF3 all settings on ultra except for the MSAA in which i have to run it on 2x. 35-60FPS.

Computer parts are cheap nowa days and you dont need to spend much to max out games. My rig stared out at $570 and ran crysis 2 maxed out. Now I'd guess its around $950 and its the fastest thing I've ever owned and I've bought pre-made rigs for 3k+. I expect my rig to smash this game as theres no way this is as demanding as BF3.

Id bet you could max out this game on a build it yourself PC for around 450-500.

Tugglife
12.14.2011 , 08:33 PM | #17
This should be stickied. Still, /bookmarked.

TheReckless
12.14.2011 , 08:36 PM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by happysister View Post
excellent post.

noob question here. can you use a program like Speccy to figure out what power supply you have, or do you have to open up your machine to see?
You will need to open up the case im afraid unless you got the purchase order handy. PSU only supplies power to the components. Luckily as soon as you take the cover off the information is right there.
We Be Puggin

xomnow
12.14.2011 , 08:41 PM | #19
Anyone have any info/feedback on the newest ATI/AMD drivers? Looks like we're at 11.12 released on 12/13/11.

I've played through beta until the 4th on the 11.10 preview drivers and had no issues, just curious if there have been any hiccups or if things are smooth sailing.

SoliceTK
12.15.2011 , 12:35 AM | #20
Thanks for the thread OP, helped me to realize something I overlooked while I was shopping around for upgrades, God Bless ya.
"I asked him if I could have a Purple Lightsaber, he hooked me up"
- Samuel L. Jackson in an interview about Star Wars Episode II