Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

My Beef With Orange Items...

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Crew Skills
My Beef With Orange Items...
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

LagunaD
12.19.2011 , 10:35 PM | #91
Just a note, in my experience going back to Beta, and so far in EGA, the tooltip will update as long as you de-equip the item before changing the stats. I think the problem is with changing the stats of an item while it is equipped.
Dagoreth/Shadow - Martina/Sentinel - Sandrine/Commando - Silmara/Scoundrel
Belechannas/Sage - Knox/Vanguard

Vixxa/Marauder - Niobe/Sorceror
The Harbinger

darth_balur
12.19.2011 , 10:50 PM | #92
The UI in this game is not fixed, and does not update a plethora of things, from guildmates in your guild window, to stats on modded items, to a hundred other things.

The simple fix for all these problems is: CTRL+U+U

This is the thousandth time this exact argument has appeared in the forums over this topic, and the solutuion has not changed in all that time (see above line).
Darth_Balur

Rtwozero
12.19.2011 , 10:54 PM | #93
All 'bugs' aside... The orange items are a great idea and also the experience of finding out that they can be constantly upgraded. I don't believe BW needs to explain anything more than what it has. Let us learn ourselves and let the community work together to help each other. The more they spoon feed us the more this will be like other stupid easy games made for 12 year olds who like cuddly black and white bears.

Maintain the learning curve.... we are better for it
- R2Zero - The ability to speak doesn't make you intelligent.

InterestingJohn
12.20.2011 , 06:23 PM | #94
Thanks for bringing some clarity to this everyone, I was super excited about the prospect of the custom items, but my friends were telling me that it didn't work the way I thought it did. I'm working long hours right now and have precious little time to play, so I didn't really have a way of figuring it out for myself.

My only major questions now are how easy are orange items to get, and is there a lot of variety? Obviously, I only need to find the one chest armor that I like and I'll be set, but how hard will that be to find?

Rhinoplat
12.20.2011 , 06:31 PM | #95
Quote: Originally Posted by Mackuss View Post
But do you see what I'm saying?

Basically, with the way the system currently is, Orange items are the EXACT same as blue or purple items - we just have to work twice as hard to have them (i.e. finding comparable mods to have competitive stats)....just for the look of the armor piece?

That's ********.
This was the whole intent of the system. In Beta they stated that Orange gear would need twice the work to keep up with drops. It's working as expected.

Also you have 1 chest piece actually on. So are your character stats affecting the armor number? Take both pieces off, with all mods out and look at and compare the 2 oranges.

InterestingJohn
12.20.2011 , 06:45 PM | #96
To some people, it's worth looking good.

DavidHunt
12.20.2011 , 06:46 PM | #97 This is the last staff post in this thread.  
In case there is still confusion on this issue:

1) Armor Rating and Armor Value are linked. Armor Value is a combination of the Rating and the Weight of the armor. Rather than list out the possible armor values for each armor type, or have different mods for light/medium/heavy, the armoring just lists the armor rating. If you compare two items with the same weight and rating, they should have the same value.

2) The case where one orange item is showing lower value with the same mod is because of a display refresh bug. You can also try to unequip everything except the one item and look at your armor in your character sheet.

3) Orange items are not intended to have any inherent properties. You should be able to upgrade them fully.

Temet
12.20.2011 , 06:55 PM | #98
This was a useful thread, I'd actually been selling my orange items due to running into this bug repeatedly. I'm now dressed in an ugly mismatched mess, but I'm glad to hear I can fix it.

Wren_Atticus
12.20.2011 , 07:30 PM | #99
I understand what the OP is saying and wondered that myself. Let's say you have a lvl 9 chest piece and a lvl 45 chestpiece. Both orange, heavy, and no mods. The level 9 has 45 armor and the level 45 has 900 armor. That is a big difference.

People are saying this is a display issue now and that they are equal? Am I reading that correctly. Do we have some sort of proof on this?

I ask because I want to buy the Imperial trooper armor for my Merc from the CE vendor. It is all orange with empty mods. However, I looked at the base armor on the pieces and it was VERY low. Are you saying if I buy that and equip it, then the armor will match an orange chest piece I got in an instance?(assuming mods and all other factors are equal)

If this is not the case, then the reason behind the orange fails. Because no one will keep an inferior armor for the look.
"You've been Synergized. Have a nice day!"
Wrangler <Synergy> - Scoundrel - Infinite Empire Server

Tachyonsaint
12.20.2011 , 07:48 PM | #100
Quote: Originally Posted by Wren_Atticus View Post
I understand what the OP is saying and wondered that myself. Let's say you have a lvl 9 chest piece and a lvl 45 chestpiece. Both orange, heavy, and no mods. The level 9 has 45 armor and the level 45 has 900 armor. That is a big difference.

People are saying this is a display issue now and that they are equal? Am I reading that correctly. Do we have some sort of proof on this?

I ask because I want to buy the Imperial trooper armor for my Merc from the CE vendor. It is all orange with empty mods. However, I looked at the base armor on the pieces and it was VERY low. Are you saying if I buy that and equip it, then the armor will match an orange chest piece I got in an instance?(assuming mods and all other factors are equal)

If this is not the case, then the reason behind the orange fails. Because no one will keep an inferior armor for the look.

With a chorus of singing Gungans, "YUP".
Kiss a wookie, kick a droid, fly the falcon through an asteroid.
Explorer: 87% Socializer: 53% Achiever: 47% Killer: 13%
. <-- Our light in dark times