Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

My Beef With Orange Items...

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Crew Skills
My Beef With Orange Items...
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Mackuss
12.16.2011 , 08:25 PM | #1
In all actuality - it's my potential beef. And not the good kind. The unseasoned, slightly going bad kind. My problem is with the logic of why they're even in the game - to the point that I'm confused - so I'd like someone to clear it up for me.

So, I've heard from multiple people, and read from the dev blog that the reason orange items exist, or the concept behind their existence, is because someone might like the LOOK of the item - therefore it allows you keep the item for ever - and simply adding mods to give more stats appropriate to your level. That makes LOGICAL sense to me but here's what I think stale-mates the logic in that.

Orange items have inherent attributes on them that can NOT be changed - like base damage or Armor Rating. For instance my orange chest piece from Black Talon is pretty cool and stuff - but I'm already finding chest pieces with, though not better STATS, better armor. Note, I'm saying ARMOR, not armor RATING.

Now I understand Armor Mods give armor rating, but they don't give all of the armor rating that the item provides - only a portion.

So with that note in mind - EVEN IF ARMOR RATING IS THE ONLY THING THAT IS INHERENT you're going to eventually find an item with better inherent properties, thus making your orange that you want to keep inferior - thus destroying the point of orange items. The same can be applied to base damage of orange weapons. So for instance, you would have a level 50 item with like 146 armor rating on it, lol.

Unless I'm missing something here then, I understand they wanted to be different from other MMOs, and I REALLY THINK THAT'S AWESOME, but I think they should have just stopped at purples, and made purples fully moddable. That, OR made the inherent properties on oranges changeable - so everything about the item can remain appropriate to your level.

EDIT: Why else would orange items still have a level requirement? Because the armor.

Please halp.
while(horse.State == dead)
{
horse.beat();
}

mightygaz
12.16.2011 , 08:26 PM | #2
base damage and armor rating can both be changed by inserted items. its not all that clear at the moment, but it does happen. play around with it and you'll see.

marshalleck
12.16.2011 , 08:30 PM | #3
barrels change base damage
armoring (the mod type) changes base armor

mightygaz
12.16.2011 , 08:32 PM | #4
i'm assuming hilts for sabers. i have seen the damage go up, but replaced a load of stuff at the same time. didnt care what did it to be honest, was just happy it did lol

Vodalus
12.16.2011 , 08:36 PM | #5
As others have already said, those stats are changed by mods. To expand upon this more, the armor or damage of an un-modded orange item is the base amount for that item type. Item type is the only aspect that cannot be changed. Thus, in the case of armor, a piece of light armor will always have less armor than a piece of heavy armor, modded or not. But, if you take two items of the same type, and put the same mod in them (armoring for armor, barrels for guns, and hilts for sword-type weapons), they will have the same armor/damage.\

And yes, moding and modable items need to be explained much, much better in the game. I am constantly trying to dispel this bit of misinformation in chat in-game.
I'm not a hater, I'm a disillusioned and disappointed fan.
"I spent a good 5 or 10 minutes searching around the preferences because I was sure a feature like this would not have been omitted."- A simple quote that I have seen countless times; This is what is wrong with TOR in my book.

mightygaz
12.16.2011 , 08:39 PM | #6
if only that was the worst of the nonsense needing dispelled in the chat. i'm sith though, so i use my anger with them in a constructive way :-p

marshalleck
12.16.2011 , 08:39 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by mightygaz View Post
i'm assuming hilts for sabers. i have seen the damage go up, but replaced a load of stuff at the same time. didnt care what did it to be honest, was just happy it did lol
yes, it's hilts for sabers

Mackuss
12.16.2011 , 09:23 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Vodalus View Post
As others have already said, those stats are changed by mods. To expand upon this more, the armor or damage of an un-modded orange item is the base amount for that item type. Item type is the only aspect that cannot be changed. Thus, in the case of armor, a piece of light armor will always have less armor than a piece of heavy armor, modded or not. But, if you take two items of the same type, and put the same mod in them (armoring for armor, barrels for guns, and hilts for sword-type weapons), they will have the same armor/damage.\

And yes, moding and modable items need to be explained much, much better in the game. I am constantly trying to dispel this bit of misinformation in chat in-game.
But I'm staring at two orange chest pieces with the exact same mods in all slots - and they both have different inherent armor. The RATING is the same, because of the mods being the same, but one HAS more armor than the other.

And THAT'S what I'm talking about. There is no way to change the inherent ARMOR of the item. Thus my orange is inferior to his - even if it's so little a thing as armor.
while(horse.State == dead)
{
horse.beat();
}

mightygaz
12.16.2011 , 09:26 PM | #9
can we get a screenshot of these items? i'd like to see, i havent experienced this. though it is possible one was way earlier, and its game design that at some point you'd replace your orange item with a higher level orange item.

it does seem a bit odd you'd be able to keep one forever

mendarie
12.16.2011 , 09:50 PM | #10
I bet one is like heavy vs light. that would make the ratings the same but have different armoring values.
Beta Squadron 367
Shadow Republic