Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Leveling Powertech


Brickdoctor's Avatar


Brickdoctor
04.02.2012 , 12:32 PM | #1
Hi all,

I am new to the game and am currently leveling a PT for tanking later on. I got to level 32 through PvP and class quests, but want to level the rest of the way through normal questing. I figured the best way to do that would be a DPS build. Maybe, maybe not?

What's the preferred spec tree I should be working towards and the rotation for it?

Please keep in mind that I am new. I tried to read several threads about specs and rotations, but I couldn't follow.

Thanks in advance for your help.

holydush's Avatar


holydush
04.02.2012 , 08:07 PM | #2
Im not sure my self what the "optimum" leveling spec would be for a powertech as mine is only level 22. But i am leveling with shield spec and i am enjoying it quite a bit.
I really think it doesnt really matter what spec you level in with this game as you will still do decent damage unlike say... a you spec in protection with a warrior, or restoration with a druid. They all have their ups and downs for every spec in SWTOR... but again i could be compeltely wrong.

hope this helps you a little bit

Hizoka's Avatar


Hizoka
04.02.2012 , 09:07 PM | #3
play what you want to play. Contrary to the baddies that infect these forums every spec works and works well if you play it right.

Brickdoctor's Avatar


Brickdoctor
04.03.2012 , 12:39 PM | #4
Thanks for the advice. I went down mostly the protection tree and had some fun with it last night.

However, what about a rotation? I always open with death from above, grapple, or jet charge, depending on the situation.

But when I am fighting an elite, what should I be using or staying away from? I hit Rail Shot and Rocket Punch every time the cooldown is up. I use the normal attack to control my heat. But what about in between? What about Unload, Flame Burst, Flame Thrower, Explosive Dart, and Missile Blast?

I just need to know if there are any of those that are a complete waste, or if there are some others I should always use in the rotation.

Thanks in advance.

Rogashi's Avatar


Rogashi
04.03.2012 , 01:49 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Brickdoctor View Post
Thanks for the advice. I went down mostly the protection tree and had some fun with it last night.

However, what about a rotation? I always open with death from above, grapple, or jet charge, depending on the situation.

But when I am fighting an elite, what should I be using or staying away from? I hit Rail Shot and Rocket Punch every time the cooldown is up. I use the normal attack to control my heat. But what about in between? What about Unload, Flame Burst, Flame Thrower, Explosive Dart, and Missile Blast?

I just need to know if there are any of those that are a complete waste, or if there are some others I should always use in the rotation.

Thanks in advance.
Flame Thrower is great actually. Even up to the point for single targets it's quite good. I use Flame Burst for single targets for the 4% less damage debuff. Unload usually as a filler at the moment because of the heat cost and channeling abilities making heat easier manageble. Not sure if unload is still used in endgame or not, for leveling it has it's uses. Explosive Dart is nice for AoE.

I ditched Missile Blast ages ago once I got more then 2 abilities really.
Life´s a game, gaming is my life.

Agooz's Avatar


Agooz
04.03.2012 , 02:01 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Hizoka View Post
play what you want to play. Contrary to the baddies that infect these forums every spec works and works well if you play it right.
You know if there were alot more people like you, or listening to you and taking your seriously, AP would never had gotten its 1.2 buffs. So you better say thank you to all the people who played Pyros, STs, CPs and refused to touch the broken tree, otherwise you would still be one of the rare few playing AP post 1.2

You're actually hurting your cause more than bringing light to it. There is nothing wrong with saying that the AP tree is fun but still broken so the devs can fix it. But to say that it was fine all along is completely wrong and TOTALLY unfair for everyone else that wants the AP tree to be viable.

Hizoka's Avatar


Hizoka
04.03.2012 , 03:20 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Agooz View Post
You know if there were alot more people like you, or listening to you and taking your seriously, AP would never had gotten its 1.2 buffs. So you better say thank you to all the people who played Pyros, STs, CPs and refused to touch the broken tree, otherwise you would still be one of the rare few playing AP post 1.2

You're actually hurting your cause more than bringing light to it. There is nothing wrong with saying that the AP tree is fun but still broken so the devs can fix it. But to say that it was fine all along is completely wrong and TOTALLY unfair for everyone else that wants the AP tree to be viable.
you know what i was one of the only people in Beta that said the Sentinel/Maras were in a good place. In beta no-one played them correctly, now 3 months down the road everyone is complaining they are overpowered now that a few learned how to play them right. Ever think that if you play and gear something right your perfomance might improve of doing it wrong with improper gear?

Agooz's Avatar


Agooz
04.03.2012 , 04:34 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Hizoka View Post
you know what i was one of the only people in Beta that said the Sentinel/Maras were in a good place. In beta no-one played them correctly, now 3 months down the road everyone is complaining they are overpowered now that a few learned how to play them right. Ever think that if you play and gear something right your perfomance might improve of doing it wrong with improper gear?
You're AGAIN 100% wrong and of course with your usual exaggerated statements. No one said marauders were "bad". People were talking in terms of GAME content, which initially was all PvE. People were saying why would you run a marauder when a jugg can do just as much damage in dps spec and also have the option to tank.

What is making marauders "OP" in 1.2, is NOT because of people learning how to play them, it is because they are the one AC that's ISN'T getting huge nerfs. Furthermore, ANY complaint, whether warranted or not, about marau/sent is exclusively for PvP content.

Everytime you write something, you really are showing people how misinformed you are. Again, I will ask you ONE last time: If Advanced Prototype was on par with Pyro, or balanced, WHY nerf Pyro and buff AP. Why dont you run your mouth to the devs and tell them they are making a big mistake, because with the new changes Advanced Prototype will be sooooooooooo OP.

Hizoka's Avatar


Hizoka
04.03.2012 , 04:54 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Agooz View Post
You're AGAIN 100% wrong and of course with your usual exaggerated statements. No one said marauders were "bad". People were talking in terms of GAME content, which initially was all PvE. People were saying why would you run a marauder when a jugg can do just as much damage in dps spec and also have the option to tank.

What is making marauders "OP" in 1.2, is NOT because of people learning how to play them, it is because they are the one AC that's ISN'T getting huge nerfs. Furthermore, ANY complaint, whether warranted or not, about marau/sent is exclusively for PvP content.

Everytime you write something, you really are showing people how misinformed you are. Again, I will ask you ONE last time: If Advanced Prototype was on par with Pyro, or balanced, WHY nerf Pyro and buff AP. Why dont you run your mouth to the devs and tell them they are making a big mistake, because with the new changes Advanced Prototype will be sooooooooooo OP.
i'll tell you seeing how you fail at grasping the reason. The way pyro works now you can get lucky and burst someone down far faster then they want you too. So they are changing it to balance the class so that you cannot get lucky and win you have to be the better player to win.

Agooz's Avatar


Agooz
04.03.2012 , 05:45 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Hizoka View Post
i'll tell you seeing how you fail at grasping the reason. The way pyro works now you can get lucky and burst someone down far faster then they want you too. So they are changing it to balance the class so that you cannot get lucky and win you have to be the better player to win.
Seeing how a pyro has about 35% chance to proc back to back RS, and about 10% chance to proc Back to Back to Back RS, it seems everyone in the world of SWTOR would fail at grasping YOUR reason. So if 2-3 out of our wins are PURE luck, what happened to our 7-8 other wins?
Also you conveniently do not mention that the RNG is also NOT in our favor most of the time, so even when we do get lucky there are more times when we dont. If your logic was correct, then in general Pyros would lose most of the fights. What makes Pyro far superior than AP, is NOT just PPA, it is a whole slew of other talents that work very well together, unlike the AP tree.
Third, this might come as a SHOCKER for your, but the AP tree also has RNG. But they make it so much easier and give you a guaranteed way to proc. That along with a talent that babysits your Heat management, I would argue that it takes a lot less talent to play AP then a Pyro. Your argument that it is harder to play only stems from the fact that the tree performs below the pyro, hence the challenge.

Thank you, try again.