Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

What if Luke and Leia were switched at birth?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > STAR WARS Discussion
What if Luke and Leia were switched at birth?

Tarbacca's Avatar


Tarbacca
04.01.2012 , 07:56 PM | #1
Say Obi Wan sent Luke to live with the Organas, and Leia with Owen and Beru. Does that mean Leia would have ended up being the Jedi Knight to train Luke later on? And then Leia would have faced the Emperor and Vader?

I just thought of this, pretty interesting.
"Your typical gamers nowadays are entitled, self-important, generally immature (at least as far as their public persona goes), unrealistic, and have no idea what they want out of a game."

GeneralRadex's Avatar


GeneralRadex
04.01.2012 , 08:02 PM | #2
Possibly but not necessarily. They had different personalities and simply her being female might have caused certain thing to play out differently.

Tarbacca's Avatar


Tarbacca
04.01.2012 , 08:03 PM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by GeneralRadex View Post
Possibly but not necessarily. They had different personalities and simply her being female might have caused certain thing to play out differently.
I think her relationship with Han would still develop, and she will still have Jacen, Jaina, and Anakin.
"Your typical gamers nowadays are entitled, self-important, generally immature (at least as far as their public persona goes), unrealistic, and have no idea what they want out of a game."

DarthOmeges's Avatar


DarthOmeges
04.01.2012 , 08:05 PM | #4
I think that Luke would have become a jedi knight faster because his aunt and uncle hid his past from him and the Organas would have told him he would be a jedi at a young age and start his training sooner.

Tarbacca's Avatar


Tarbacca
04.01.2012 , 08:09 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by DarthOmeges View Post
I think that Luke would have become a jedi knight faster because his aunt and uncle hid his past from him and the Organas would have told him he would be a jedi at a young age and start his training sooner.
Well in that case wouldn't the Organas have told Leia about it too? I doubt they would even tell them either way because they wanted to hide them from Vader.
"Your typical gamers nowadays are entitled, self-important, generally immature (at least as far as their public persona goes), unrealistic, and have no idea what they want out of a game."

Wolfninjajedi's Avatar


Wolfninjajedi
04.01.2012 , 08:11 PM | #6
To be honest, I doubt it would be switched at all given their personalities and such. Besides Bail said that he and his wife always wanted a daughter.
"There is one lesson you've yet to learn. How to become one with the Force!"
―Cin Drallig to Darth Vader

Maucs the Tauntaun King, former SWG player.

Invictos's Avatar


Invictos
04.01.2012 , 08:31 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Tarbacca View Post
Say Obi Wan sent Luke to live with the Organas, and Leia with Owen and Beru. Does that mean Leia would have ended up being the Jedi Knight to train Luke later on? And then Leia would have faced the Emperor and Vader?

I just thought of this, pretty interesting.
It's either an interesting question or a completely uninteresting one, depending on how courageous you wanna be.

The politically correct answer is, of course, that nothing would have changed. Leia would have followed Luke's course almost exactly, and vice-versa.

The less politically correct answer is that switching Luke for Leia changes everything. Would Owen Lars have accepted a daughter when it's at least reasonable to assume that he'd consider a boy more useful (and at a younger age) on a moisture farm? Apart from Owen's mild distrust of Ben Kenobi, wouldn't a relationship between an aging male hermit and a young girl have very different, and potentially very much more disturbing connotations than Ben's quasi-mentorship of Luke, prior to the events in A New Hope?

Would Tarkin have allowed a hypothetical Prince Luke of Alderaan to live as long as he allowed Leia to live? It's possible, even likely, that Vader/Tarkin would simply have tortured him to death in order to get the information about the rebel base, in which case they might not have nuked Alderaan at all. (Maybe Tarkin just picks a planet at random if he feels it's necessary to demonstrate the Death Star's power, or he skips that step entirely and moves directly against the rebel base, before the Millenium Falcon even has a chance to reach the Death Star.)

On a related note, if the Death Star isn't in the proximity of Alderaan, then Han and company wouldn't find the Death Star to begin with. R2 never reaches the rebel base; the Death Star plans are never decoded; Leia never gets a chance to hit that exhaust port with a proton torpedo, and Han never develops into the rogue with a heart of gold (which means Leia may never become entangled with him).

Moving on, if we stipulate that the events of A New Hope remain essentially unchanged, then can we assume that Vader would have fought his daughter in the same way that he fought his son? Cut her hand off? It's possible she turns him to her side at Bespin, rather than in Return of the Jedi.

Hm, fun stuff.

AngelousWang's Avatar


AngelousWang
04.02.2012 , 04:28 AM | #8
Leia had the same force potential as Luke and Anakin (she is Luke equal in TFU2 DLC), but she could never have become anywhere near a match for them due to her royal upbringing (evidence that when she did become a Jedi for a while, she was nowhere near).

(Too much education and mental stubbornness, limit your ability to use to force greatly, as if you believe/know things (like defying gravity) are impossible, then they are impossible).

So she could have replaced Luke given the correct set of upbringing circumstances, but would she if if they simply switched places? I doubt it.

Luke upbringing circumstances only worked for Luke because he was male, his step-father was constantly worried he would become his father and this created much distance between them, meaning Luke grew very independently minded.

If a female was put in the same situation Lars would have problem real problem with Leia becoming another Padme, so they would have been closer and she would have developed very close to Lar's wife, which would mean she would have learned what it is to be a woman from Lar's wife, which would have made her more simple.

In the end I think she would have ended up as a simple farm owner in the same circumstances, she would never have gone after after R2 and given 3-P0 over to the Empire, the Empire would then have tracked down R2 from his restraining bolt.

And Sidious would have won.

... However if Luke and Leia had been switched, I have a feeling Vader would have released Luke was his son long before Ep4, I think Sidious would have noticed it too. Who Luke was very obvious to Sidious just by feeling his presence, which is why it was Sidious that worked out who Luke was before Vader, despite never meeting him.
CE VIP

Fyurii's Avatar


Fyurii
04.02.2012 , 06:29 AM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by AngelousWang View Post
Leia had the same force potential as Luke and Anakin (she is Luke equal in TFU2 DLC), but she could never have become anywhere near a match for them due to her royal upbringing (evidence that when she did become a Jedi for a while, she was nowhere near).
A game's DLC aside, I'm pretty sure that she could never reach the same levels of ability and proficiency as Luke is because she spent so long as a public and political figure and leader among the Rebellion and New Republic.
She simply didn't have the time to devote to proper training as a Jedi.

Quote:
(Too much education and mental stubbornness, limit your ability to use to force greatly, as if you believe/know things (like defying gravity) are impossible, then they are impossible).
You're making out that Luke was an uneducated, obedient and open minded student. He wasn't.
Most of what you wrote there is exactly like Luke was.

Quote:
So she could have replaced Luke given the correct set of upbringing circumstances, but would she if if they simply switched places? I doubt it.
Thought the whole switching places was inclusive of exchanged backgrounds...

Quote:
Luke upbringing circumstances only worked for Luke because he was male, his step-father was constantly worried he would become his father and this created much distance between them, meaning Luke grew very independently minded.
Luke was all set to put off going to the Imperial Academy for another year to stay and help his uncle until Stormtroopers turned his home and family into burnt out, smouldering husks.
He'd already done it before, and would most likely wind up doing it again. A change of circumstance was required.

By the way, you are showing some pretty blatant gender bias....

Quote:
If a female was put in the same situation Lars would have problem real problem with Leia becoming another Padme,
That makes no sense.
They knew Padme about as well as they knew Anakin. Which is to say, barely at all.

Quote:
so they would have been closer and she would have developed very close to Lar's wife, which would mean she would have learned what it is to be a woman from Lar's wife, which would have made her more simple.
Reeking chauvinism......

[/quote]In the end I think she would have ended up as a simple farm owner in the same circumstances, she would never have gone after after R2 and given 3-P0 over to the Empire, the Empire would then have tracked down R2 from his restraining bolt.[/quote]

You're looking at her through eyes of sexism and the same background as she already had.

Quote:
... However if Luke and Leia had been switched, I have a feeling Vader would have released Luke was his son long before Ep4, I think Sidious would have noticed it too. Who Luke was very obvious to Sidious just by feeling his presence, which is why it was Sidious that worked out who Luke was before Vader, despite never meeting him.
Why do you say Sidious worked out who Luke was before Vader???
Furthermore, why would a male child be more quickly identified?
With a switched background, Leia would be the one who's affinity with the Force would have begun to blossom early, not Luke's.

You really are guilty of gender bias in your entire post, and have zero understanding of nature vs nurture debates, and some blatant views on "women's roles".
________║≤o≥║___________
/_______TROOPER___≡≡≡≡≡≡≡╡
\_/‾‾‾‾ // ╝‾‾╚▄▄▄▄▄/‾‾‾‾‾

Jaydann's Avatar


Jaydann
04.02.2012 , 07:15 AM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Fyurii View Post
You really are guilty of gender bias in your entire post, and have zero understanding of nature vs nurture debates, and some blatant views on "women's roles".
If the roles where switched Luke would never been captured by the empire and the rebels would have won the war without ever hearing about any jedi, Leia would just have grown up as a farmers daughter and most likely just married another farmer.

Because girls from farm backgrounds dont show interest in going to military academies.Thus she would simply become another farmers wife, or if she defies her perants she most likely ends up selleng her self on nar-shadaa.

And Luke with his inborn skill for piloting, more fierce male attitute and military training (wich he would have been given by his parents because buys in such families get send to the academy for a few years) would never get caught by the empire and reach alderan in time to bring the plans to the rebels who now can launch an attack intime before alderan is destroyed.

This has nothing to do with being gender bias, this is just how things work.
--------------------------------ZAPP-------------------------------------X