Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Just some facts about female gamers

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Community Content
Just some facts about female gamers

Kronical
05.25.2012 , 09:37 PM | #851

zerogisquaint
05.26.2012 , 12:14 AM | #852
You know, this thread is far more polite and female-positive than I expected it to be. I think a lot of us are still cringing from how we were treated in MMOs five years ago, because times they have changed. How cool is that?

HellbirdIV
05.26.2012 , 03:35 AM | #853
Quote: Originally Posted by kalarigamerchic View Post
1. Women game- we are into gaming some of us have been since we were kids, Atari was the first console my family owned and I have been playing since the days of Pack-man
It's "Pac-Man". Clearly your opinion as a gamer is now invalid!

2. Female gamers are not easily offended- This one really stands out so many posts on our behalf so many people who assume that we need speak up for topics such as sexism and sexuality.
You do know guys have opinions on sexism too, right? Mostly when guys talk about sexism against women in video games it's because we don't like it, not because we think women are incapable of expressing their opinions themselves. This may shock you, but feminism isn't a new thing to most of us.

3. Female gamers not all of us but many are not life time watching drama queens who cry at the drop of a hat.
I've met quite a few who are, but yes, fortunately not all women playing games are like that. It would be extremely difficult to have any kind of sensible discussions if that were the case given how many women actually do partake in games and discussions therein and regarding. So, I agree.

4. Some of us maybe tough girls but we do like style
Kind of silly to assume this is a female trait. Most players of RPGs prefer their characters to look good. Cosmetic armor and the like isn't just added to appeal to women, it's made to appeal to players.

5. Not all of us are nurturers and play healer types.
I thought this would be obvious too but now that I think of it, aside from my own girlfriend most female gamers I've met played healers of some variety. I'm going to chalk that up to coincidence though since I like playing healer myself.

On the whole though, most guys playing video games, especially MMOs, are very aware of and comfortable with the fact that there are many female gamers playing with them. The sexism you see on display is usually played for laughs, just like overt racist jokes or what we call "Dead baby comedy". Usually.

Osskscosco
05.26.2012 , 05:51 AM | #854
This thread is just lol.

Sauska
05.26.2012 , 07:17 AM | #855
Quote: Originally Posted by Osskscosco View Post
This thread is just lol.
Mission accomplished then
The Borealis Legacy

Captain_Zone
05.26.2012 , 08:57 AM | #856
Quote: Originally Posted by zerogisquaint View Post
You know, this thread is far more polite and female-positive than I expected it to be. I think a lot of us are still cringing from how we were treated in MMOs five years ago, because times they have changed. How cool is that?
Very cool. Now, get back in the kitchen and make me a sammich!

Just kidding!

But seriously, I don't care what gender you are in the middle of a raid, mission, or skirmish. As long as you can do the job, it's all good. I don't give a damn about gender. Just competence.
. OPOD
Shivalka: Darth Baras is quite large, isn't he?
Joran Karn: You, my dear Sith, have just mastered the art of understatement.

Shikomizue
05.26.2012 , 04:29 PM | #857
I am giving away my age here:

In the early 1990's a mag called Computer Gaming World ran an article on the scarcity of female gamers, at the time the unfair sex was about 3% of the player base, and there were many and serious discussions on how to involve them. Glad to see that that seems to have changed.

Interestingly, Pac Man attracted Those Who Must Be Obeyed more than the shoot em ups of the time, and it had quite a lot of draw in the arcades. Though my attempts to hit on a girl were very much in vain.... They were too busy playing.

As for me, I remember Lady Pacman as being viciously difficult, and not being nearly as popular as Pac Man. One Lady I knew could clock Defender's scoreline several times on one coin, and made most men look bad.

And if you wonder why I call the curvy gender unfair: You ever dared to arrive late to a date as a man and still get with it? See, I thought so. Now how often have you as a man sat, watching the clock, tapping your foot, only to be all smiles when she makes her late entrance? Point in case. Exactly.

Captain_Zone
05.27.2012 , 01:04 PM | #858
Quote: Originally Posted by Shikomizue View Post
I am giving away my age here:

In the early 1990's a mag called Computer Gaming World ran an article on the scarcity of female gamers, at the time the unfair sex was about 3% of the player base, and there were many and serious discussions on how to involve them. Glad to see that that seems to have changed.

Interestingly, Pac Man attracted Those Who Must Be Obeyed more than the shoot em ups of the time, and it had quite a lot of draw in the arcades. Though my attempts to hit on a girl were very much in vain.... They were too busy playing.

As for me, I remember Lady Pacman as being viciously difficult, and not being nearly as popular as Pac Man. One Lady I knew could clock Defender's scoreline several times on one coin, and made most men look bad.

And if you wonder why I call the curvy gender unfair: You ever dared to arrive late to a date as a man and still get with it? See, I thought so. Now how often have you as a man sat, watching the clock, tapping your foot, only to be all smiles when she makes her late entrance? Point in case. Exactly.
Mostly because us guys can't live without it, but the ladies can.
. OPOD
Shivalka: Darth Baras is quite large, isn't he?
Joran Karn: You, my dear Sith, have just mastered the art of understatement.

Senatsu
05.27.2012 , 06:11 PM | #859
I must admit I get a bit surprised when I see a female gamer, more so if they actually talk in Vent. It has nothing to do with them being women or that I'm a sexist, nothing like that. It's about the rarity (unless I'm just really unlucky, if I can use that word) of finding a female gamer and then especially someone who isn't afraid to talk in voice chat. I just get a bit surprised to find a woman in an activity that clearly is dominated by male players, either that or the female gamers are just afraid to show themselves.
I would agree to an Aion-type LFG system, but not WoW's LFD. We don't need Blizzard's failures in this game.

Saltydogg
05.29.2012 , 02:05 AM | #860
Quote: Originally Posted by MMornard View Post
"Saltydogg has not made any friends yet "

Oh, Ignore List, how I love thy unintended irony.
Because a friend list on a BW forum means everything in life
Saltydogg the real mmo dog