Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Just some facts about female gamers

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Community Content
Just some facts about female gamers

G-Girl
04.13.2012 , 09:46 AM | #371
Quote: Originally Posted by SliceAntilles View Post
As a "female gamer" myself, I'd like to point out a couple things. Primarily, you don't speak for me. While most of what you said is true, you're falling into the standard, and ironically male, trap that all women share the same basic personality type.
Actually if you read the initial post, you'll see that the OP is saying the opposite of that, and in fact much the same as what you have said about the wide variety in female gamers, only with less condescension.

FyveS
04.13.2012 , 09:51 AM | #372
Quote: Originally Posted by Ginnem View Post
Forgot to mention that the husband works as a clown.
Coopers are like TARDIS.

Hubby is a soldier and no one was more shocked than he was at the space inside my Mini. If you want to see him doing the clown car routine, I'll dig up the pics of the time he had a Smart Car rental - he had to keep the sunroof open on it to fit.
Nyne - 50 Sorceror ~ M'ing - 50 Mercenary ~ Eyght - 50 Juggernaut
Not The Droids ~ Social/Family/Pve/PvP ~ Corellian Run

TheonetheonlyTB
04.13.2012 , 09:51 AM | #373
According to your post, by the op, girls do not know how to use commas.

iRouven
04.13.2012 , 09:58 AM | #374
Quote: Originally Posted by FyveS View Post
Coopers are like TARDIS.

Hubby is a soldier and no one was more shocked than he was at the space inside my Mini. If you want to see him doing the clown car routine, I'll dig up the pics of the time he had a Smart Car rental - he had to keep the sunroof open on it to fit.
Rofl. The smart car is awesome though btw, sat on the passengers side one time. Just don't look back. Yes, do show a pic if your hubby is ok with it, would love to see it.
“Rattatakii rattataki rakghoul est.” – Jassna Orda
Scions of Korriban
Experience the dark side of the Sons of Numenor on Lord Adraas
http://www.sonsofnumenor.com/

noctoi
04.13.2012 , 10:00 AM | #375
Quote: Originally Posted by Nissalla View Post
Oh, and here's the thing, that whole "girls don't like to make female toons cuz they get hit on" deal? Nonsense. Guess what? You get hit on in RL your whole freakin' life. You learn to deal with it. At least in a game it's rarely actually threatening. The women gamers I've known almost always play female characters as their Mains. Actually, I will amend that. ALL the female players I've know (and could verify were actually female) had Female Mains.
rofl, Half the guys I know who play MMO's have a female main toon as well

Captain_Zone
04.13.2012 , 10:16 AM | #376
Quote: Originally Posted by FyveS View Post
Coopers are like TARDIS.

Minicoopers are bigger on the inside than they are on the outside. It's a strange breakage in the laws of physics, but there you have it.
. OPOD
The New Jedi Code: "Keep Calm & Carry a Lightsaber"

Wolfcrux
04.13.2012 , 10:35 AM | #377
Quote: Originally Posted by Sheff View Post
I have to be honest, I find these sorts of threads very hard to respond to.

The problem here is you are asking not to be pigeonholed, but at the same time doing that very thing to guys.
Do you honestly still encounter people who are amazed that a girl is playing a computer game? I mean seriously?
I have been gaming since I was 3 years old. So in all I have 29 years of experience. It has never, and I do mean never, surprised me at girls gaming.
I treat girls exactly the same as I do guys whilst playing. Obviously I avoid using certain words at times but I have never seen this delicate flower attitude towards any girls I have played with.

I honestly think you must just have played with a lot of barely post pubescent teenage boys that don't know how to act around girls. or are so shy in real life that they act out behind their computer screen.

The only girls I have problems with in gaming are the ones who constantly seek attention for the sole reason they are a girl playing games. I mean it REALLY gets to me.

You have to bear in mind, that guys have to go through life being labelled a loser if you play games, (first world problems right?) where as it seems to be the "cool thing" for girls to be right now.
The amount of girls on Facebook and 9GAG or whatever that take duckface photos of themselves wearing something vaguely related to gaming just for ***** teenagers to spam them with praise.
Point being, some guys may find it hard to seperate those types of girls from the ones who genuinely love gaming (which I am sure, you girls are like. The good kind I mean)

Sorry started rambling a little there.
So anyway, I'm sure people appreciate the clarification you are trying for OP (that's what you were doing right?) :P
But at the same time, try not to pigeonhole us nicer guys that would treat everyone the same regardless of gender, race, sexual orientation etc.

But these "myths"? Erm, I don't think imho there are any, girls gaming is not anything new or special in my experience. Just another person behind a keyboard escaping reality for a while.

Peace.
^
This, thank you sir.

Davetkd
04.13.2012 , 11:00 AM | #378
Hi guys, first post so please be gentle .
To return to the opening post:
Males criticising females within the game is pretty sad. Though it says more about them than their chosen targets and stems from simple insecurities.

I plan to have a mix of both male and female characters and their are plenty of reasons to do so.

1. Like Ripley in the alien films, a heroine can offer unique or at least different slants on the story
2. You're inevitably gonna spend vast amounts of time over the 50 levels with your characters.. which sex is gonna be the more pleasant to look at?
3. With the Legacy system now in place and if you wanna be somewhat authentic with your family tree, your not gonna get to many babies from your male bounty hunter and sith and I dont think the Empire promotes gay adoption.
(yeah ... I know it doesn't work that way.. ).

In the end, it's about enjoyment, so leave the sexism out and if you really cannot get along with fellow players why are you playing a multiplayer??

joedarwish
04.13.2012 , 11:03 AM | #379
Breathe, stretch, shake let it GO!

LaurentiusX
04.13.2012 , 11:06 AM | #380
Quote: Originally Posted by WinterWraith View Post
I've never really understood the rumors of you being rare, almost all of my female friends have been gamers. Actually far more of my male friends have been uninterested in gaming.
They just like the Notion of being rare (Not all perhaps but some at the very least), it makes them feel special, it's just basic primeval instincts, one woman with ten men gets to choose the father of her offspring. 2 women and 4 men and they'll rip each others throats out. Which is why "female gamers" feel the need to make threads about "female gamers" so that we know that they're "female gamers" and then the "female gamer" in question will feel special and unique, that is until another "female gamer" steeps in and calls her out.
Free 7 days play time and helpful items and boosts
for returning and new players alike!

http://www.swtor.com/r/Qg2sZF