Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Just some facts about female gamers

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Community Content
Just some facts about female gamers

kalarigamerchic
03.31.2012 , 07:07 PM | #21
I guess it is a kinda look at me I have dealt with plenty of people in the years of gaming mulitplayer games but mmos seem to be the place where I see a lot of the mentality about females I addressed. If it didnt happen to some of you thats cool. When I played muds no one really questioned who was who some of the smaller niche ones I played had more chicks then guys by a long shot and it was fun. After reading yet another post on sexism and flirts on the boards figured id just post to have a little fun. Guess if its not a whine about nerfs or something about quitting its not worth posting eh?

Nothing in my post was super serious so wish some would chill obviously if the mods thought this was disruptive it would have been nuked like some of the posts already had. I think im going to go play the game now since I don't want to turn this thread into something it wasnt meant to be I thought it would be a fun topic though glad some people took it that way even though some of their comments aren't around anymore.
Enter My Den for a fun Podcast
I am not evil I am morally obtuse, Chaotic Neutral 4life

Join the Zenith Fanclub

SillyAberra
03.31.2012 , 07:20 PM | #22
I'm a potato and i rarely ever see any other potato gamers.

SirTanne
03.31.2012 , 07:21 PM | #23
I don't think people have responded badly or negative to your OP, I think the main moral of the story is, once some people mention there is a line between male and female gamers it just creates a debate that's not even worth it, as most people playing will not even bat an eyelid to what sex they play alongside.

I guess the question is why create a debate over something that isn't debatable, we are not sexist male gamers and I can't say I've experienced seeing that in my 12 years online.

1 thing I do see is males start to turn into alpha males when they know females are around them online and might talk louder or faster in chat or on voice but that's expected.

In a male dominated game, females will always be the rare species and males will always react different towards them accordingly, but thats an animalistic world where males will always chase females.

Nothing new really.

After reading over my post I think I just realised it's because we are Animals

Alot of the times though I ask myself! is it women/girly gamers who are really trying to sound like they are the lambs in headlights or is it really the girly gamers who want themselves to be in headlights.

I havn't quiet got down to that yet but over the year's it does seem to be some kind of girl power gaming attitude that's growing.

Antipathize
03.31.2012 , 07:49 PM | #24
Sirtanne, I don't think this is an appropriate outlet to be describing your vehicular homicides.

SirTanne
03.31.2012 , 07:57 PM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by Antipathize View Post
Sirtanne, I don't think this is an appropriate outlet to be describing your vehicular homicides.
You use the word Homocide so I'm guessing American but this kinda thing to me reminds me of when the Spice Girls tried to influence America, there girl power attitude didn't work so well across the states.

Girl gamers I see alot of togetherness, like we are the poor souls playing these games with sad geeky dudes after us and giving us hastle.

I just don't buy it.

1 thing I would like to see more of is a debate which the OP created in the 1st offset by putting this post up knowing it would create some kind of reaction but the only impression I'm getting is the OP thinks people disagree and now regrets making the topic hence not replying to it which in turn makes me wonder well, why create it in the 1st place?

Sa_I_nT
03.31.2012 , 08:38 PM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by Sheff View Post
I have to be honest, I find these sorts of threads very hard to respond to.

The problem here is you are asking not to be pigeonholed, but at the same time doing that very thing to guys.
Do you honestly still encounter people who are amazed that a girl is playing a computer game? I mean seriously?
I have been gaming since I was 3 years old. So in all I have 29 years of experience. It has never, and I do mean never, surprised me at girls gaming.
I treat girls exactly the same as I do guys whilst playing. Obviously I avoid using certain words at times but I have never seen this delicate flower attitude towards any girls I have played with.

I honestly think you must just have played with a lot of barely post pubescent teenage boys that don't know how to act around girls. or are so shy in real life that they act out behind their computer screen.

The only girls I have problems with in gaming are the ones who constantly seek attention for the sole reason they are a girl playing games. I mean it REALLY gets to me.

You have to bear in mind, that guys have to go through life being labelled a loser if you play games, (first world problems right?) where as it seems to be the "cool thing" for girls to be right now.
The amount of girls on Facebook and 9GAG or whatever that take duckface photos of themselves wearing something vaguely related to gaming just for ***** teenagers to spam them with praise.
Point being, some guys may find it hard to seperate those types of girls from the ones who genuinely love gaming (which I am sure, you girls are like. The good kind I mean)

Sorry started rambling a little there.
So anyway, I'm sure people appreciate the clarification you are trying for OP (that's what you were doing right?) :P
But at the same time, try not to pigeonhole us nicer guys that would treat everyone the same regardless of gender, race, sexual orientation etc.

But these "myths"? Erm, I don't think imho there are any, girls gaming is not anything new or special in my experience. Just another person behind a keyboard escaping reality for a while.

Peace.
^ this
World of Warcraft is the Michael Jackson of mmo's. It's sold millions yet sucks badly, it mostly attracts little boys, and its dead. xNonphixionx
Lord Calypho RP-PVP
Theodore/Premi

quasihuman
03.31.2012 , 09:04 PM | #27
For the most part, unless you have abnormal brain chemistry (I said abnormal, not wrong, that is subjective), a woman and man think different by necessity in order for us to form the relationships necessary to reproduce. When reproduction and the hormones related to reproduction are as not involved as they can be, then we are all just humans and share a large percentage of the same experiences, needs and desires. It should not be surprising to anyone that a woman (free from social pressure) would want to play a game that lets them escape reality for a short time just as a man would. We all know this, or eventually learn this, but we mostly debate this on forums for entertainment. OP, thank you for bringing this information to the ignorant (if you as a reader are ignorant and offended by this word, please learn the meaning).

Snaloe
03.31.2012 , 09:18 PM | #28
When dealing with "people" in game yes, you are going to encounter all sorts. There is no need to be rude, or start abusing other players... if you do meet them just tell my friend mr ignore and problem solved. I don't see why you need to put someone into a little box to decide how your going to treat them or act towards them. The fact is short of a webcam or meeting in real life there is really no way you are ever going to know if your dealing with either gender! So why not just be yourself, treat everyone like a person and have fun.. not at the expense of others hopefully, and god help if your a ***** dude on an RP server or a single mum trying to have an hours fun before she needs to do other things.

|| C'rane 50 Guardian | Snaloe 50 Trooper | Balvier 50 Sage | Izzob 40 Scoundrel ||

Sivenom
03.31.2012 , 09:21 PM | #29
I play same-sex all the time, so I am always a female. I usually pick the same build as I am, and overall my character looks like me in some way or another.....

But I don't know what it is, but I'm always referred to as a he. It does annoy me, but I know that it happens every time. i just take the time to correct it if I'm in a bad mood.

even in ops and groups etc, I am referred to as He even after talking over vent and it comes as a surprise to people. I think it's the fact I *don't* talk like a girl. I don't say cutesy things, and I rarely use faces in long-winded conversations. So, one can easily see that as a source of bias.

And I am well aware that some guys play female chars and some girls play male chars.... I still refer to them by their char's gender, unless they tell me otherwise.
All assassins had a full-length mirror in their rooms, because it would be a terrible insult to anyone to kill them when you were badly dressed. -- Terry Pratchett, Pyramids
"I'll be more enthusiastic about encouraging thinking outside the box when there's evidence of any thinking going on inside it." -- Terry Pratchett

Mkats
03.31.2012 , 10:38 PM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by AHierophant View Post
My wife plays and she hides her identity not because of being hit on or insulted, but because of the IWK.

Internet White Knights.

Her theory is that it's much easier to chivalrous in the game than it is in real life (where white knighting could be mistaken for flirting, and be turned down). IWKs are obnoxious, constantly defending a female's honor, endlessly groveling for favor, and treating the female as if she has deficiencies which only the IWK can overcome. She can't defend herself or take criticism (especially valid) without a IWK to fall on a sword for her. Woe to the person that doesn't treat the female exactly as the IWK thinks is proper.

Unlike jerks and pimply teenagers, who take the hint when their advances are rebuffed, the IWK will keep at it forever.
I think the boyfriends and husbands are more afraid of IWKs then anything else. Because some of them do develop into relationships. I have seen it countless times in my years of MMO gaming. And it doesn't matter if a female gamer has a boyfriend or husband that she says 100 times that she loves them. Those IWK seem to just get more and more attractive to some of them.

If you don't think it happens then you are just fooling yourself, because it does.