Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Just some facts about female gamers

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Community Content
Just some facts about female gamers

Blackardin
04.05.2012 , 01:30 PM | #101
Quote:
"Girls can't tank" or some other sexist replicas.
Women tank fine. I've known more then a few.

Now if we could get them to open their own doors or pay for a date we could end all sexism once and for all. ;p

tronot
04.05.2012 , 01:40 PM | #102
Quote: Originally Posted by Burana View Post
One complaint of female gamers is being referred to as "he" by default. This comes from still being considered an absolute minority in the gaming world.
It is normal that being considered "he" by default will provoke an answer from a girl gamer "I'm a she". And then all kind of answers like "Lol GIRL=guy in real life", "Girls can't tank" or some other sexist replicas. Even when one plays a female character, the player is considered "he" (is there a rule in English language saying that? like referring to a baby as "she" if the gender is unknown...).

Just refer to all female characters as "she", while male characters as "he", be they played by a guy or a girl. The character's gender by no means lets anyone assume a player's RL gender, but it certainly shows respect to the female gamer community. At least this acknowledges their (our) existence!
Probably because saying 'he' will be correct 90% of the time. I know that there are plenty of female gamers out there, but unless I know that you are a female, I'll always say he or, more likely, I'll just say the character's name.

Blackardin
04.05.2012 , 01:49 PM | #103
Quote: Originally Posted by tronot View Post
Probably because saying 'he' will be correct 90% of the time. I know that there are plenty of female gamers out there, but unless I know that you are a female, I'll always say he or, more likely, I'll just say the character's name.
Many guys play female characters. We have some in our guild right now. I've never run across a female playing a male (not that it does not exist). With that in mind, one ends up in a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" scenario. Call a guy that is playing a female character "she" and you may be corrected. Call a female player that is playing a female "he" and you may be corrected.

The only way to truly know how to address someone in a gaming environment is to hear them in vent.

oMGitsree
04.05.2012 , 01:56 PM | #104
I play guy characters all the time and actually enjoy playing them more. No one treats me differently and I am sure no one knows that I am female. I don't think sex matters in an RPG system. I am on an RP server so no one asks if I am male or female because no one really cares.

I don't feel our sex needs to be defended or represented. We are all gamers, end of story.

Celeste
04.05.2012 , 02:04 PM | #105
I tell the other raiders in my guild I'm a figment of the other officer's imagination.
Join the fight to get violet and purple Twi'leks! Project Purple!

ADMCD
04.05.2012 , 03:23 PM | #106
I've been playing online computer games since the early 1990s. In all that time I've never encountered a single guy being surprised about women who play video games. I think that this kind of reaction is just a myth.

Nevarlaw
04.05.2012 , 03:26 PM | #107
Yes yes. What is this nonsense
Looking for a guild

Datamonger
04.05.2012 , 03:29 PM | #108
Quote: Originally Posted by tronot View Post
Not to mention if all you have to go by is a character's name (like in Gen. Chat), sometimes it's obvious, and sometimes it's impossible to tell.

Veluthurk
04.05.2012 , 03:50 PM | #109
Girl gamers, need more of them. In the last two guilds I ran our 1st string MT and heals were female. They are amazing.

Yardbird
04.06.2012 , 12:25 AM | #110
Quote: Originally Posted by Veluthurk View Post
They are amazing.
Girls, in a nutshell.
NOVA GALORE
Shadowlands : Scoundrel
PALLADIUM