Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Reverse engineering is awesomesauce

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Crew Skills
Reverse engineering is awesomesauce

Necrosia
12.16.2011 , 07:24 PM | #1
I love this game.
Huttball is BRILLIANT! LETS GO BERSERK!

mightygaz
12.16.2011 , 07:31 PM | #2
it is a nice feature, but logically makes no sense.

building the same thing over and over doesnt give a chance of making a better one, but taking it apart again does?

surely it should be the more times you put one together, you gain the experience to build it better?

Halsion
12.16.2011 , 07:33 PM | #3
If we're gonna get into realism in an MMO here... why do I have a health bar? Why can't i learn how to use force pull as a Jedi Knight? Why don't i get tired from running? Why don't i eat drink sleep or take bio breaks? If you start to question these things it all falls apart, better to just roll with it.
If you know the enemy and know yourself you need not fear the results of a hundred battles.
Sun Tzu

chaconlove
12.16.2011 , 07:37 PM | #4
I agree I am starting to like this feature but the only thing I would like to see is you get a skill point for reverse engineering at least once in a while but I wouldn't consider this not that big a did it's just my opinion
"It rubs the lotion on its skin, or else it gets the hose again."

Ifum Im'va
Proud former member of the SWG Tempest community.

mightygaz
12.16.2011 , 07:41 PM | #5
yeah some things wouldnt work as they break the gameplay, what i suggested wouldnt. and actually might help slow the incredibly speedy progress many of us are making through professions if it was adjusted so that you dont get any more skill points from an item before you start to get better versions appearing.

there are many recipes, maybe restrict skill gains to say, for example without thinking it through, 5 times for one recipe. and again, for example, at least 10 items made needed before you have a chance of a better recipe being discovered. the more over it you go, the higher chance.

yeah its not perfect, and many wont agree, but its only my opinion.

konstan
12.16.2011 , 07:43 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Halsion View Post
If we're gonna get into realism in an MMO here...
If we were gonna get into realism here, then I would have

(1) force lightning
(2) force leap

and I don't mean in the game
"Good relations with the wookies I have"

Ellintor
12.16.2011 , 07:45 PM | #7
Logically reverse engineering does make since, b/c you take it apart to see how it works and whats its made of, and to possible make it better.

How do you think our technology as a society went from cathode ray tube tv's to Liquid crystal display...and from computers that would only fit into a 2000 square foot basement, to 9lb laptops.

One country/company would make a small advantage, another country/company would get that advantage, rip it apart to see how it ticks, and see if they could make it better.

kenzeii
12.16.2011 , 07:47 PM | #8
That doesnt even make sense if ur the one who built it u learn nothing from disassembling it dude. But its an awesome mechanism though.

mightygaz
12.16.2011 , 07:48 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Ellintor View Post
Logically reverse engineering does make since, b/c you take it apart to see how it works and whats its made of, and to possible make it better.

How do you think our technology as a society went from cathode ray tube tv's to Liquid crystal display...and from computers that would only fit into a 2000 square foot basement, to 9lb laptops.

One country/company would make a small advantage, another country/company would get that advantage, rip it apart to see how it ticks, and see if they could make it better.
yes that all makes sense. except for the part where i was the one who put it together. i know how it works. if i didnt, then i wouldnt have been able to put it together.

reverse engineering of something i dont know how to make i can get on board with. but if i have put something together, and it works, what possible insight can be gained from me taking it apart again?

Ellintor
12.16.2011 , 08:44 PM | #10
Ya that is the only quandary with it, sense u make it you know how it works and what goes into it, but as said early it is still a cool mechanic. (stops u from having to purchase a crap load of recipes)