Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

installer not working

stellarfirefly
12.13.2011 , 10:28 AM | #1
Launching the installer (even as Admin) extracts some software but then exits right away. It seems to create an /InstallSWTOR/ directory under /AppData/Local/Temp/ with:

art/
data/
EUALAs/
software/
Installer.exe (1835 KB)
Setup.exe (1835 KB)
swtor.rar (27,372 KB)
swtor0.rar (1 KB)
swtor1.rar (1 KB)
swtor2.rar (1 KB)

Attempting to run either Installer.exe or Setup.exe (also as Admin) likewise immediately exits without performing any installation.

The "swtor.rar" file appears to have a packaged launcher. Would it be possible to simply unpack this into a folder under /Program Files (x86)/ and run it, or will that confuse the launcher and needs to be installed "properly"?

stellarfirefly
12.14.2011 , 01:48 PM | #2
Never got a response yet, so I decided to just go ahead and do it myself. And the answer is, yes it works just fine. The only drawback (that I've seen so far) is that you will not have access to an automated Uninstaller, so if you ever wish to uninstall the game in the future then you will need to manually delete the folder within /Program Files(x86)/ (or wherever you placed it), and also manually delete all local cache and settings within /Users/<username>/AppData/Local/SWTOR/.

Hope this helps people who are seeing the same issue.

stellarfirefly
12.15.2011 , 12:12 PM | #3
For those of you who hit the same problem as me where the SWTOR installer just immediately quits instead of installing the game, I've found that the following works just fine:

1. Install an app that lets you extract .rar files. I prefer 7-zip myself.
2. Extract the contents of the installer .exe file. (With 7-zip, just right-click the "SWTOR_setup.exe" file and choose 7-zip -> 'Extract to "SWTOR_setup\"'.)
3. In the set of extracted files and folders, there will be an "swtor.rar" file about 27.3MB large. Extract the contents of this. (With 7-zip, just right-click the "swtor.rar" file and choose 7-zip -> 'Extract to "swtor\"'.) You can ignore the other swtor0.rar, swtor1.rar, etc. files.
4. Go to whatever folder you extracted "swtor.rar" to, and Select All, then Copy.
5. Make a folder where you wish to install SWTOR. (Personally, I went to "D:/Program Files (x86)/" and just created the directory "/SWToR/". The actual location doesn't really matter.)
6. Go to that folder and Paste all the files and folders that you copied in Step #4.

That's it. The application that you want to run to play SWTOR is "Launcher.exe", so you can create a shortcut to it on your Desktop or wherever you wish and even rename the shortcut to "Star Wars--The Old Republic" or whatever.

Again, the only drawback (that I've seen so far) is that you will not have access to an automated Uninstaller. So if you ever wish to uninstall the game in the future then you will need to manually delete the folder that you just created, and also manually delete all local cache and settings within /Users/<username>/AppData/Local/SWTOR/.

Uisx
12.23.2011 , 09:14 PM | #4
This also worked for me after trying just about everything others had posted. Thanks

Clumpoid
12.24.2011 , 09:38 AM | #5
This worked for me also kudos!

gobies
01.10.2012 , 01:20 AM | #6
thanks man, it's kinda frustrating when simple **** like this doesn't work

undeniablyjeff
01.10.2012 , 01:30 AM | #7
Thank you.

I can't effing believe it took a player suggesting a detailed workaround to resolve this.

*facepalm*

VShark
02.26.2012 , 04:40 AM | #8
Thank you for this thread.

I ended up using 7zip to extract all of the items off of the DVDs manually into folder. I had errors with two files (swtor4.rar and swtor56.rar in my case). I copied those rar files to my hd then went inside each to extract it's guts into the proper place, and it seemed to work out.

I then allowed the launcher to do it's thing, and after 3 launcher problems with patching, replacing the messed up files with good ones from the disk, suddenly things worked out.... After 5 hours of fiddling with this.... I have no idea how it fixed itself, in the end.

Hayemakerrr
02.28.2012 , 01:36 PM | #9
I had the same problem. I found that Fraps conflicts with the setup, as soon as I closed Fraps it worked. Hopefully this solves a few peoples problem

JediMasterSarynn
03.03.2013 , 03:55 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Hayemakerrr View Post
I had the same problem. I found that Fraps conflicts with the setup, as soon as I closed Fraps it worked. Hopefully this solves a few peoples problem
I know this is an old thread, but I just wanted to mention that your tip 100% worked for me. I wonder what FRAPS is doing that is causing this to occur.
The Sunrider Legacy <Angeli Aetherii> PvP/PvE
Sarynn, Guardian | Darael, Shadow | Zadiel, Vanguard | Skyra, Scoundrel | Myrisa, Sentinel