Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

About Karen Traviss Hate...


Captain_Zone's Avatar


Captain_Zone
03.31.2012 , 06:30 PM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by JaedenSyn View Post
its funny how you cant write anything for Lucas Arts without getting express written permission to change ANY storyline. So, if as you said in the above quote did this on her own , I would ask you how?

And she didnt have a hard on for Mandos, she just told the story from their point of view . So yeah she made the Jedi/ Sith look terrible because from a Mando point of view they are terrible. Almost all of the wars in the Star Wars universe are started by Jedi and Sith either going after each other or they are trying to change how a culture acts using their own sense of morality.

The difference between Jedi and Sith is that the Sith are up front about who they are , Jedi are not.
Actually, she DID do it without consulting any other members of the writing team. And as far as getting anything approved by Lucas, that only involves killing off G-Canon (movie) characters.

EDIT: In fact, she didn't even bother to tell Tim Zahn (who created the character) what she was planning. That is just dirty right there. I know if I was on a writing team and someone did that to one of my characters that was also extremely popular, I would have some very choice 4 letter words to say to said idiot. Wouldn't you?
. OPOD
The New Jedi Code: "Keep Calm & Carry a Lightsaber"

Invictos's Avatar


Invictos
03.31.2012 , 06:38 PM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by TheBentOne View Post
Ask anyone. ANYONE who the main character of episodes 4-6 was.

Here is a hint: NOT DARTH VADER, hell in a new hope he isnít even the MAIN VILLIAN, let alone the main character.

The OT was a story about the rise of LUKE SKYWALKER. LUKE, not ANNIE.

if you had asked Lucas this before he made the prequels and sold his soul for money while turning his back on everything he used to believe in (Iíd like to give GL the benefit of the doubt, but the best I can come up with as an alternate explanation is that he became senile). He would've said the same thing.
Not that this line of discussion is particularly relevant -- given that the point of contention was that the movies are about Jedi, and clearly both Luke and Anakin fit the bill -- but Lucas said several times, long before the prequels existed, that the original trilogy was about the redemption of Anakin Skywalker.

Sure, if you asked him in 1977, Lucas might've said that A New Hope was a rousing adventure tale about Luke and Han and Leia -- but that's not necessarily reflective of his artistic intentions; it's a reflection of his real-life position at the time, before anyone knew that there'd ever be a sequel.

Aximand's Avatar


Aximand
03.31.2012 , 06:46 PM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by TheBentOne View Post
Ask anyone. ANYONE who the main character of episodes 4-6 was.

Here is a hint: NOT DARTH VADER, hell in a new hope he isnít even the MAIN VILLIAN, let alone the main character.

The OT was a story about the rise of LUKE SKYWALKER. LUKE, not ANNIE.

if you had asked Lucas this before he made the prequels and sold his soul for money while turning his back on everything he used to believe in (Iíd like to give GL the benefit of the doubt, but the best I can come up with as an alternate explanation is that he became senile). He would've said the same thing.
The entire Star Wars (movie) saga is about the tragedy of Anakin Skywalker. While the prequel trilogies aren't as well constructed as the OT, if you read all six novelizations in a row the premise is extremely obvious.
I'm not mean, you're just a sissy.
The Orange Pixel is the REAL Sith Emperor
I don't need luck, I've got ammo - Urdnot Grunt
Remember 4/22/2011. A day that shall live in infamy.

TheBentOne's Avatar


TheBentOne
03.31.2012 , 06:50 PM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by Aximand View Post
The entire Star Wars (movie) saga is about the tragedy of Anakin Skywalker. While the prequel trilogies aren't as well constructed as the OT, if you read all six novelizations in a row the premise is extremely obvious.
Sure, i guess thats what it is now. Thats not what it used to be and IMO it was better that way.
I bow to no one and give service only for cause.
- From the Journeyman Protectors oath.

JaedenSyn's Avatar


JaedenSyn
03.31.2012 , 07:14 PM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by Morticoccus View Post
I always thought it referred to the return of the Jedi order.
its up for interpretation but the generally accepted meaning is that its about Luke becoming a Jedi ...considering that "Uncle George" didn't decide that the movies were about Darth Vader until he made the prequels

Captain_Zone's Avatar


Captain_Zone
03.31.2012 , 07:22 PM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by JaedenSyn View Post
its up for interpretation but the generally accepted meaning is that its about Luke becoming a Jedi ...considering that "Uncle George" didn't decide that the movies were about Darth Vader until he made the prequels
Ah, but then all it takes is George saying "All the movies were about Anakin". The Lucas Has Spoken And It Is So, and all that. Hell, his rewrites of history are bad enough sometimes. Changing stuff we've known for years into something else. I know this example has been done to death, but it's the most obvious one. Went from "Han shot" to "Han shot first" to "Greedo shot first".

I still think it was funny when Sir Alec Guinness in A New Hope flubbed Chewie's name and called him Chewbassa. They also re-edited it finally so it sounds right and not a line flub that the Editing Department missed in Post.
. OPOD
The New Jedi Code: "Keep Calm & Carry a Lightsaber"

Setsugetsuka's Avatar


Setsugetsuka
03.31.2012 , 07:30 PM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by JaedenSyn View Post
its up for interpretation but the generally accepted meaning is that its about Luke becoming a Jedi ...considering that "Uncle George" didn't decide that the movies were about Darth Vader until he made the prequels
People also thought that Earth was flat.
People also thought that Earth was the centre of the universe.

Come on, it's called evolution, not physical evolution, but thoughts and ideas, stories and the like growing, changing, adapting. Humans began as cavemen, going by the logic "Whatever it starts as is best and any changes are blasphemy" crap that OT fans spew out, we should still be hunched and bashing each other with wooden clubs.

Star Wars, George Lucas' story, is about Anakin Skywalker, no one else.

JaedenSyn's Avatar


JaedenSyn
03.31.2012 , 07:54 PM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by Captain_Zone View Post
Ah, but then all it takes is George saying "All the movies were about Anakin". The Lucas Has Spoken And It Is So, and all that. Hell, his rewrites of history are bad enough sometimes. Changing stuff we've known for years into something else. I know this example has been done to death, but it's the most obvious one. Went from "Han shot" to "Han shot first" to "Greedo shot first".
yeah but Han didnt shoot first, he just shot . Shooting first implies more than one shot , there was only the one . Which at the time showed Han as a character that would do anything to protect himself , even murder (kind of the guy was going to kill him after all), when George changed that he screwed up Han's story of redpemtion IMO

Morticoccus's Avatar


Morticoccus
03.31.2012 , 09:06 PM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by JaedenSyn View Post
yeah but Han didnt shoot first, he just shot . Shooting first implies more than one shot , there was only the one . Which at the time showed Han as a character that would do anything to protect himself , even murder (kind of the guy was going to kill him after all), when George changed that he screwed up Han's story of redpemtion IMO
He also killed one of the coolest scenes in the entire movie.

You see people hosing blaster bolts at each other and only randomly hitting people throughout the entire series, that is one of the very few moments that you see a perfect shot.
When all is said and done we're not the only ones who look at life this way: That's what the Sith lords say.
And if they'd ever change as that reminds to say. But every time I see them makes me wish I had a gun. If I thought that I was crazy well I guess I'd have more fun.

Captain_Zone's Avatar


Captain_Zone
03.31.2012 , 10:02 PM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by JaedenSyn View Post
yeah but Han didnt shoot first, he just shot . Shooting first implies more than one shot , there was only the one . Which at the time showed Han as a character that would do anything to protect himself , even murder (kind of the guy was going to kill him after all), when George changed that he screwed up Han's story of redpemtion IMO
Read it again. I SAID first was just "HAN SHOT". He shot first and last, and only fired one round. I know it, and you know it. Then George's first rewrite had Greedo getting a reaction shot off. The SECOND and latest rewrite was the "Greedo shot first" version. Apologies if I was too vague the first time.
. OPOD
The New Jedi Code: "Keep Calm & Carry a Lightsaber"