Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

About Karen Traviss Hate...

Tarbacca
03.30.2012 , 12:41 PM | #1
Why do people hate her so much? I thought her Clone books were pretty good...when I was in 6th grade.
"Your typical gamers nowadays are entitled, self-important, generally immature (at least as far as their public persona goes), unrealistic, and have no idea what they want out of a game."

Wolfninjajedi
03.30.2012 , 12:43 PM | #2
Cause she was wet for mandalorians, making them the best at everything and had the best of everything. Fighting, flying, weapons, armor, etc etc and somehow they know how to take out a sith lord better then a jedi master who is trained to fight against the sith.
"There is one lesson you've yet to learn. How to become one with the Force!"
―Cin Drallig to Darth Vader

Maucs the Tauntaun King, former SWG player.

Tarbacca
03.30.2012 , 12:44 PM | #3
Understandable. I dont like how she did the Arcs and Kal Skirata. That part pissed me off.
"Your typical gamers nowadays are entitled, self-important, generally immature (at least as far as their public persona goes), unrealistic, and have no idea what they want out of a game."

bmhale
03.30.2012 , 11:03 PM | #4
I really enjoyed Order 66 when I read it, which was the only book of her I'll ever read. Not long after that, she lost all credibility with me.

I'm a self-admitted "Fandalorian," as I was always fascinated by Fett (and later the broader scope of Mandalorians in the EU... mostly through the comics rather than the novels though), but as mentioned by others, some of the abilities that Traviss granted them were definitely over the top.

What really got me (and many others) though, is that she directly attacked her own fans who pointed out conflicts with established lore that she never bothered to research before writing the books, and she also killed a character invented by another author (who was also still writing SW books with that character in it)... without even discussing it with the other author. She even went as far as calling the fans terrorists ("Talifans" and Jedi Neo-Nazis and things like that).

If you're going to write Sci-Fi novels based off a popular Sci-Fi series, expect some overzealous fans. It comes with the territory and the money.
The Caesari Legacy on The Shadowlands
Treanidus (Level 53) Dr-Crash (Level 52)
Ceshavia (Level 50) Koshak (Level 54)
Telarnus (Level 35) Vindinar (Level 55)

BrandonSM
03.31.2012 , 12:33 AM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by bmhale View Post
I really enjoyed Order 66 when I read it, which was the only book of her I'll ever read. Not long after that, she lost all credibility with me.

I'm a self-admitted "Fandalorian," as I was always fascinated by Fett (and later the broader scope of Mandalorians in the EU... mostly through the comics rather than the novels though), but as mentioned by others, some of the abilities that Traviss granted them were definitely over the top.

What really got me (and many others) though, is that she directly attacked her own fans who pointed out conflicts with established lore that she never bothered to research before writing the books, and she also killed a character invented by another author (who was also still writing SW books with that character in it)... without even discussing it with the other author. She even went as far as calling the fans terrorists ("Talifans" and Jedi Neo-Nazis and things like that).

If you're going to write Sci-Fi novels based off a popular Sci-Fi series, expect some overzealous fans. It comes with the territory and the money.
Pretty Much this.

I like the idea of Mandalorians, hell, I love the idea of Spartan races in all Universes. But Traviss went too far.

And Order 66 is her best book...
Hapan: "This creature has information that could lead us to a woman who has been kidnapped. We will get that information."
Luke: "This woman is a citizen of the New Republic, and if you do not take your hands off her, I will take your hands off you."

Captain_Zone
03.31.2012 , 01:01 AM | #6
So now you know. Karen Traviss wasn't just responsible for the unsanctioned killing of Mara. She was also responsible for giving the rest of the Expanded Universe writing team a helluva headache and a LOT of garbage to clean up.

For some good writing, I would highly recommend getting Brad Meltzer on the team to contribute. The guy is a great author, and I've read several of his books. Also, for the younger generation, he wrote Identity Crisis and had quite a good run on Justice League for DC Comics. He treats all the characters that aren't his own with the respect they deserve, and only kills them off when given the OK and if it's necessary to the story. I have a feeling if he joined the Star Wars team, they would have an even better run.
. OPOD
Shivalka: Darth Baras is quite large, isn't he?
Joran Karn: You, my dear Sith, have just mastered the art of understatement.

Rikalonius
03.31.2012 , 01:09 AM | #7
I agree with the above. Traviss didn't seem to want to think through the idea of a warrior culture very well. I'm a huge fan of the Mandalorian idea, and a amateur Spartan historian, but you have to be able to render the good with the bad, and Traviss at some point stopped doing that. It was all Mary Sue Fett.

Canderous Ordo was a good character in KOTOR because he was rendered warts and all. He was unapologetic of the Mandalorian way, even though it be bloodthirsty. Star Wars fiction, however, is not a place you are likely to see a warrior cult with galactic influence get a thorough deconstruction, itís just too light.

TKMaster
03.31.2012 , 01:23 AM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Wolfninjajedi View Post
Cause she was wet for mandalorians, making them the best at everything and had the best of everything. Fighting, flying, weapons, armor, etc etc and somehow they know how to take out a sith lord better then a jedi master who is trained to fight against the sith.
But yet when the Jedi are given the same treatment it's, as another thread said, "the standard quo" and no one says anything.

Again not all jedi are Kenobi, Windu, Skywalker....or they werent supposed to be, actually now they are.

NVM.

Rikalonius
03.31.2012 , 01:57 AM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by TKMaster View Post
But yet when the Jedi are given the same treatment it's, as another thread said, "the standard quo" and no one says anything.

Again not all jedi are Kenobi, Windu, Skywalker....or they werent supposed to be, actually now they are.

NVM.
Power creep has been out of control with the Jedi for a while, but there is no reason to follow bad writing with bad writing. If you are going to deconstruct the Jedi against the backdrop of the Mandalorians, don't make the Mandos just as bad, or worse, characters than the Jedi. I blame the Force Unleashed.

TKMaster
03.31.2012 , 04:21 AM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Rikalonius View Post
Power creep has been out of control with the Jedi for a while, but there is no reason to follow bad writing with bad writing. If you are going to deconstruct the Jedi against the backdrop of the Mandalorians, don't make the Mandos just as bad, or worse, characters than the Jedi. I blame the Force Unleashed.
While i agree i really dont see anyway to reverse whats been done. To balance the Jedi gods your going to have to make new gods at this point.