Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Startup Crash

First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Darth_Carrion
03.29.2012 , 11:07 AM | #1
When I go to enter the game it brings up the launcher and loads the updates then the PLAY button lights up but the launcher turns a dull grey color, I push play and it brings up the loading screen that looks like the game cover or whatever and then after a few seconds it kicks me right back to my desktop, no error messages or nothing. I tried updating the driver for my video card but the problem still persists, any ideas?
..."Honor is a fool's prize. Glory is of no use to the dead"...

-Darth Revan

Ratae
03.29.2012 , 04:38 PM | #2 Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. Next  

Hello Darth_Carrion,

I’m not sure what steps you have already taken to resolve this, but if you have not done so already, please try using the 'Repair' utility on the launcher.
To do this, please click on the button located in the bottom left hand corner of the launcher window. This will open a settings menu where you will be able to find and click on the 'Repair' button.

After that, try to remove and re-add any exceptions for launcher.exe you have in your firewall and anti-virus programs and then restart the Launcher with Administrator privileges.

If the above does not resolve the problem, please try to work through the troubleshooting steps suggested in this post:
http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=9100
If this does not help, could you please post your Dxdiag and Client log here to enable us to investigate further?
  • Client Logs. These logs are useful if you are experiencing issues after you have clicked ‘Play’ on the launcher and for in-game technical issues. In a default installation these files can be found here:
    • 32bit: C:\Program Files\Electronic Arts\BioWare\Star Wars - The Old Republic\swtor\retailclient\swtor\logs
    • 64bit: C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\BioWare\Star Wars - The Old Republic\swtor\retailclient\swtor\logs
    Example file name: Client_20111116T155258_901721.log
Please post the reports within code tags or spoiler tags

Please let us know how you get on.
Ratae | BioWare Customer Service - Forum Support

Darth_Carrion
03.29.2012 , 04:47 PM | #3
When I click on the settings button at the bottom left corner of the launcher I have an option to pick a language and then a save button. There is no repair option and when I select english and push save it doesn't do anything, the settings window closes and then upon entering settings again I get the same option, no repair button.

-Darth Revan

Ratae
03.29.2012 , 04:57 PM | #4 Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. Next  
Hello Darth_Carrion,

Please try the following step, if you have not done so already:
  • Please make sure that your anti-virus software and firewall are not blocking launcher.exe.
  • Go to this location:
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\BioWare\Star Wars - The Old Republic
    Here, if you find a folder called 'Patch', delete it please.
  • Run FixLauncher.exe (also in the above location) as administrator.

Afterwards, please run the launcher again and see if there is now a repair option.

Please run this and then try to log in to the game again. Please let us know if you still have the same problem.

Thank you for your help.

Darth_Carrion
03.29.2012 , 06:35 PM | #5
There is no file named FixLauncher.exe in that location or anywhere else

-Darth Revan

Ratae
03.29.2012 , 07:11 PM | #6 Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. Next  
Hello Darth_Carrion,

If there is no fixlauncher file, please go to www.swtor.com/download and download the setup file again and run it.(Please run the file as Administrator and add an exception for SWTOR_setup.exe to your firewall and anti-virus software).

This will reinstall the Launcher, it will not download the game content again.
Afterwards, please try to run the game again.

Thank you for your help and continued patience.

Darth_Carrion
03.30.2012 , 01:52 PM | #7
Seems to have worked, I've played about 5 hours total since fixing the launcher and have had no problems. Thanks a bunch

-Darth Revan

Ratae
03.30.2012 , 02:08 PM | #8 This is the last staff post in this thread.  
Hello Darth_Carrion,

Thank you very much for letting us know how you got on.

Very pleased that you are back in the game and I hope that the problem doesn’t recur. As ever though, if you have any other issues please feel free to post on the forum.