Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Future playable species

Temeluchus
04.02.2012 , 10:46 AM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by RioNHale View Post
I really dont see why bioware wont put a larger variety of PLAYABLE species like yoda's or wookies.

This is an MMO and even more so it is a STAR WARS mmo, a universe packed with characters of all shapes and sizes, most people who watched the first cgi trailer for TOR had expectations of a vast world where you could play as anything, do anything you wanted from the star wars lore.

Ive never played world of warcraft but im well aware of the variety of characters in it, yoda I guess would be the equivelant of a dwarf-type (speaking character height/design wise) why would it be so hard to put them as playable characters?

It would be amazing, instead of seeing humans in different custom skins with slight alterations, the most exotic atm being twileks who lets face is are just humans from japanse **** (i kid i kid).

1 of kotor's biggest strengths imo was when you could switch to the perspective of your companion, this was because it was so cool how you could really feel you were playing as an astro droid or playing as zaalbar the wookie or even hk-47 himself, the variety rocked hardcore, and if they put a crossbow wielding wookie class into TOR id start one immediatly and play it to 50 as a main character, and I can promise you im not alone.

https://bk4goa.bay.livefilestore.com...0FLU%20006.jpg

Oh Damn I mean imagine playing a a dark side wookie Powertech, would be f-ing kickass awesome!
and dont worry too much about the vioce acting, im sure they could spam bear sounds over with subtitles and we wouldnt mind too much. *mrrrraaaaawrrrrrrr rrrr*

p.s
And just fyi, I really loved the whole idea behind the pureblood sith, they are by far the best species in the game at the moment, but star wars has a lot more to offer that bioware and ea arent taking into account yet.
I'm sure future expansions will bring more playable species into the mix. They just have to fit into BioWares criteria for playable species: 1. able to speak Basic 2. able to be romanceable(so near human or humanoid species)

Wookiees(you spelled it wrong) probably won't make the cut as they do not meet the criteria and honestly as awesome as they might be, could you really sit through a whole class story filled with grunts,growls,roars and subtitle translations? Yoda's species will NEVER be playable in this game or any other(aside from playing Yoda himself in some games), we don't even have a name for them and George Lucas zealously maintains a tight grip on them in lore. Even after GL kicks the bucket his will has the SWU on a pretty short leash and you won't see playable Yoda species.
"Men call me Darkstar, and I am of the night.

Kaisernick
04.02.2012 , 10:55 AM | #22
ive noticed a fair amount of Chagrian npc and i hope they became playable in the future, as allthougth they are one of the few species that i have never seen as a playable character in any star wars game.

psandak
04.02.2012 , 11:49 AM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by Temeluchus View Post
I'm sure future expansions will bring more playable species into the mix. They just have to fit into BioWares criteria for playable species: 1. able to speak Basic 2. able to be romanceable(so near human or humanoid species)

Wookiees(you spelled it wrong) probably won't make the cut as they do not meet the criteria and honestly as awesome as they might be, could you really sit through a whole class story filled with grunts,growls,roars and subtitle translations? Yoda's species will NEVER be playable in this game or any other(aside from playing Yoda himself in some games), we don't even have a name for them and George Lucas zealously maintains a tight grip on them in lore. Even after GL kicks the bucket his will has the SWU on a pretty short leash and you won't see playable Yoda species.
There is one incident in the EU that has a Wookiee speaking basic. Granted it is described as a fortunate disability (or something like that) and the wookiee in question is embarrassed by it, but who's to say that 3500+ years before the post-RotJ EU happened that more Wookiees did not have this "disability". Just sayin' there's a way around having a wookiee PC only speaking in grunts and howls that fits into EU lore.

getting back to the OP's question. You must have patience. Adding playable races and classes in later content is a staple of MMOs.

Temeluchus
04.02.2012 , 12:02 PM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by psandak View Post
There is one incident in the EU that has a Wookiee speaking basic. Granted it is described as a fortunate disability (or something like that) and the wookiee in question is embarrassed by it, but who's to say that 3500+ years before the post-RotJ EU happened that more Wookiees did not have this "disability". Just sayin' there's a way around having a wookiee PC only speaking in grunts and howls that fits into EU lore.

getting back to the OP's question. You must have patience. Adding playable races and classes in later content is a staple of MMOs.
if I remember correctly his disability made it so his Shyriiwook could be understood more clearly not that he spoke Basic. I'll have to go look it up.

EDIT: "Leia Organa Solo encountered a Wookiee with a speech impediment which conveniently rendered his Shyriiwook pronunciation much easier to understand by Leia, who was learning the language at the time."
"Men call me Darkstar, and I am of the night.

Lyer
04.02.2012 , 12:17 PM | #25
I've wanted to play as a Cathar since I first heard about SWTOR. And they have plenty of them in the game as NPCs. So Cathar is my first want, and my second would be Togruta. The problem I forsee is that if they introduce one race that is Republic aligned, they would have to also include one that is Imperial aligned, and as far as I can tell, both of the races I want primarily identify as Republic. I don't have any ideas for an Imperial species that is near-human enough to remain consistent with Bioware's philosophy on player character race and to have enough customization options to be unique.

But if Cathar comes out on the Republic side, I'll take one to level 50 just to reroll my main Imperial character as a Cathar.
I'm Commander Shepard, and this is my favorite post on the forum.

Skornwar
04.02.2012 , 05:07 PM | #26
I just want a Kel Dor, forget about the other races.
The Shadow shall consume the spark of hope, light can't last forever.......... it always dies out

-Darth Skorn, level 50, sith Juggernaut-

Guildrum
04.02.2012 , 05:11 PM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by Lyer View Post
I've wanted to play as a Cathar since I first heard about SWTOR. And they have plenty of them in the game as NPCs. So Cathar is my first want, and my second would be Togruta. The problem I forsee is that if they introduce one race that is Republic aligned, they would have to also include one that is Imperial aligned, and as far as I can tell, both of the races I want primarily identify as Republic. I don't have any ideas for an Imperial species that is near-human enough to remain consistent with Bioware's philosophy on player character race and to have enough customization options to be unique.

But if Cathar comes out on the Republic side, I'll take one to level 50 just to reroll my main Imperial character as a Cathar.
The Empire already has 3 faction-specific races.

Chiss, Pureblood, Rattataki

Republic has 2.

Mirilian, Miraluka

so adding Cathar as a Republic race would balance out the equation in my book.
The Shaffer Legacy: Begeren Colony

Shaffer Lazy-eye Horace Sleth
Journalist, Pirate Bodyguard Sith

Osetto
04.02.2012 , 06:34 PM | #28
Looking at some qualifiers of what could reasonably be added as species: not only able to, but prone to speaking basic, along with humanoid body proportions.

Those probably capable of fitting their head in traditional headgear.

Cathar
Duros
Nikto (And its various sub-species)
Sullustan
Weequay

Those who might have to replace the ability to wear headgear with the ability to customize head adornments during character creation.

Chagrian
Devaronian
Kaleesh
Kel Dor
Nautolan
Rodian
Togruta

Now for something a bit different. A big factor in limiting certain species is that they are outrageous enough that that becomes a character's defining characteristic. If a Trandoshan walks in, it doesn't matter what he's carrying, he going to be recognized as a Trandoshan first and foremost. Now, say down the line, since class story is so woven with the character, the game introduced a new class or two based on that fact. Just as 'Cyborg' is considered a 'Species', there could be a 'Droid' class, following the story of a unique droid that stands out from the rest. Or a 'Pirate' or 'Enforcer' class that follows a being of peculiar species. Then maybe we can dip into the more outlandish beings.

Gen'Dai
Houk
Trandoshan
Wookiee

Bluerodian
04.02.2012 , 11:11 PM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by Temeluchus View Post
Yeah. Wookies probably won't make the cut because they cannot be Jedi, per GL's strict enforcement as well as has been said by LA that there will never be Yoda's race given center stage in a game.

As for the criteria, there are reasons for races to choose to not speak basic, even though they can. Rodians are a good example. They can speak basic, but would have a heavy accent.

As for romancable, there are already cases in Canon of humans and near-humans getting with non-humans. Corran Horn had a fling with a Selonian and One of the Darklighters was very close to a Bothan.

Point is that they species that Bioware says would be weird and freaky aren't weird and freaky when you step back and think how long these various species have already been coexisting.
Sarcasm is just one of my services.

Long time SWG player from Cradle to Grave. First Kettemoor, then Starsider.

Captain_Zone
04.03.2012 , 12:28 AM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by Bluerodian View Post
Yeah. Wookies probably won't make the cut because they cannot be Jedi, per GL's strict enforcement as well as has been said by LA that there will never be Yoda's race given center stage in a game.

As for the criteria, there are reasons for races to choose to not speak basic, even though they can. Rodians are a good example. They can speak basic, but would have a heavy accent.

As for romancable, there are already cases in Canon of humans and near-humans getting with non-humans. Corran Horn had a fling with a Selonian and One of the Darklighters was very close to a Bothan.

Point is that they species that Bioware says would be weird and freaky aren't weird and freaky when you step back and think how long these various species have already been coexisting.
Umm, actually, Wookiees HAVE been Jedi in the past, and even in the YJK series set in the future. Chewbacca's nephew Lowbacca is a Jedi Knight, in fact.
. OPOD
Shivalka: Darth Baras is quite large, isn't he?
Joran Karn: You, my dear Sith, have just mastered the art of understatement.