Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Future playable species


Shlamorel's Avatar


Shlamorel
03.29.2012 , 05:31 AM | #1
Since voice acting is based on class and not species, is it safe to assume that we will never get to see playable species that are not human-like?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not talking about (for example) Wookies or Jawas, which do not speak basic language. I am talking about (for example), a species like Yoda or a Gungan (I know they would never add a Yoda-like species, just hear me out).

Basically, it seems that if they ever make a species that doesn't look pretty close to the existing species models, the existing voice actors wouldn't sound appropriate for that species, meaning they'd have to go back and redo a voice that matches the new species for the entire story 1-50. This seems unlikely since, again, voice acting is based on class not species - and I imagine it wouldn't really make sense to have a unique actor for 1 species' voice, yet have a single voice actor for every other species that plays a given class.

Does this mean we will never have models that look significantly different than what we have now? No little characters (e.g., short like dwarves, or extra tall species, or heck, even a full droid species?). Will they always have the same body types? Will we never be able to play as a full droid class

I was just pondering these potential obstacles to future species being added.
Shlamorel Sta'raeth - Jedi Seer
Dragonbrand
------------
I vow to try and respond in a constructive and positive manner

Guildrum's Avatar


Guildrum
03.29.2012 , 09:44 AM | #2
On the whole voice-race issue, roll a male Chiss Bounty Hunter. Sounds totally wrong...

But there are a few options available. Cathar make sense, there are already mutliple face options for them and have body types 1, 2, 3 and maybe 4. Same goes for Nautolan. They need to come out with human-esque body species, because with the body types, they will actually need to make 8 body "looks", Male 1, Male 2, Male 3, Male 4, Female 1, Female 2, Female 3, Female 4. If they go over and make non-human-bodied races requiring new armor looks on them, it'd take up too many resources that could be used in more important areas.
The Shaffer Legacy: Begeren Colony

Shaffer Lazy-eye Horace Sleth
Journalist, Pirate Bodyguard Sith

Shlamorel's Avatar


Shlamorel
03.29.2012 , 09:49 AM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by Guildrum View Post
On the whole voice-race issue, roll a male Chiss Bounty Hunter. Sounds totally wrong...

But there are a few options available. Cathar make sense, there are already mutliple face options for them and have body types 1, 2, 3 and maybe 4. Same goes for Nautolan. They need to come out with human-esque body species, because with the body types, they will actually need to make 8 body "looks", Male 1, Male 2, Male 3, Male 4, Female 1, Female 2, Female 3, Female 4. If they go over and make non-human-bodied races requiring new armor looks on them, it'd take up too many resources that could be used in more important areas.
Oh cool thanks for sharing those species I wasn't aware of them.

At least there's some home of having some species that don't look identical in figure as what we have now.
Shlamorel Sta'raeth - Jedi Seer
Dragonbrand
------------
I vow to try and respond in a constructive and positive manner

Guildrum's Avatar


Guildrum
03.29.2012 , 09:58 AM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by Shlamorel View Post
Oh cool thanks for sharing those species I wasn't aware of them.

At least there's some home of having some species that don't look identical in figure as what we have now.
Of course, there are some races we will probably never have. (Mon Calamari, Droids, Wookies, Yoda's Species) But I am optimistic that we will have some more interesting options. (I personally want to be a Weequay)
The Shaffer Legacy: Begeren Colony

Shaffer Lazy-eye Horace Sleth
Journalist, Pirate Bodyguard Sith

CJ_SAX_MAN's Avatar


CJ_SAX_MAN
03.29.2012 , 10:27 AM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Shlamorel View Post
Since voice acting is based on class and not species, is it safe to assume that we will never get to see playable species that are not human-like?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not talking about (for example) Wookies or Jawas, which do not speak basic language. I am talking about (for example), a species like Yoda or a Gungan (I know they would never add a Yoda-like species, just hear me out).

Basically, it seems that if they ever make a species that doesn't look pretty close to the existing species models, the existing voice actors wouldn't sound appropriate for that species, meaning they'd have to go back and redo a voice that matches the new species for the entire story 1-50. This seems unlikely since, again, voice acting is based on class not species - and I imagine it wouldn't really make sense to have a unique actor for 1 species' voice, yet have a single voice actor for every other species that plays a given class.

Does this mean we will never have models that look significantly different than what we have now? No little characters (e.g., short like dwarves, or extra tall species, or heck, even a full droid species?). Will they always have the same body types? Will we never be able to play as a full droid class

I was just pondering these potential obstacles to future species being added.
I bet they could add a heroic class (means a class that starts at a higher level than 1, have to have already raised another character to use it. Example, the death knights on wow that started at level 55) later on that allows a species that isn't available for the other classes.

Hypothetical: Say they add a Jedi Master or something like that, class that started at 30 or 35 or something (would be with an expansion where the level cap had raised). Well one of the race choices for that class could be the yoda species, as they would be already putting in new voice stuff for that whole class and it wouldn't involve getting back into the pre existing classes and changing stuff up.

I guess it wouldn't even need to be a heroic class, could just be a regular new class.

Say they made some non-force using melee class, they could make wookies avaible or something, though for alien dialects, they don't really record different words for everything, i think they have like 10 or 15 recordings and play one of the over whatever the alien says, because i have heard the aliens say the same words with completely different subtitles.

or Gungans (though, don't know how they would work, they use those shields and throw/launch energy balls. And I don't know if Gungans were discovered yet.

There are other races i think they could have incorporated, though I think they figured it would kill some of the immersion to have alien dialects going on, ex. Rodian bounty hunters, and some of the aliens are just ugly, who wants to play as a Duros?

Although I think they should have considered Cathar as a choice, don't know a tremendous amount about their lore but i believe they are allies of the republic mostly, some use the force. They could have probably incorporated them into any class. the Juhani (character for KOTOR) fans would have loved making a Cather Jedi.

Though that is one example i could see where a new voice actor would be needed, considering I have yet to hear a Cather speak without that funky accent.
Sarthist, Jedi Guardian Guild: Inferno Server: The Fatman
Please help me get Bioware to make my guide into a "sticky"
Guide for players on weak computers: http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=383030

CJ_SAX_MAN's Avatar


CJ_SAX_MAN
03.29.2012 , 10:32 AM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Guildrum View Post
Of course, there are some races we will probably never have. (Mon Calamari, Droids, Wookies, Yoda's Species) But I am optimistic that we will have some more interesting options. (I personally want to be a Weequay)
it's too bad we can't have our own HK unit or something. Could imagine the story, you are created and sent to serve someone as a battle droid, or bodyguard, or maybe even the assassin droid, but through some mysterious technology put in you, you develop artificial intelligence to the point of being independent, you then are like the Galaxies first sentient droid. probably a bit corny though :/ HK-47 was already something more advanced than any droid ever made in the star wars universe, even during the movies, if any droid could have achieved all that, it would have been him.
Sarthist, Jedi Guardian Guild: Inferno Server: The Fatman
Please help me get Bioware to make my guide into a "sticky"
Guide for players on weak computers: http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=383030

Guildrum's Avatar


Guildrum
03.29.2012 , 10:36 AM | #7
Quote:
Though that is one example i could see where a new voice actor would be needed, considering I have yet to hear a Cather speak without that funky accent.
Aric Jorgan.
The Shaffer Legacy: Begeren Colony

Shaffer Lazy-eye Horace Sleth
Journalist, Pirate Bodyguard Sith

CJ_SAX_MAN's Avatar


CJ_SAX_MAN
03.29.2012 , 10:37 AM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Guildrum View Post
Aric Jorgan.
OH! Touche

Looked him up on youtube.

Then yes I totally agree that they could be added in with no voice change.
Sarthist, Jedi Guardian Guild: Inferno Server: The Fatman
Please help me get Bioware to make my guide into a "sticky"
Guide for players on weak computers: http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=383030

NickM's Avatar


NickM
03.29.2012 , 10:42 AM | #9
I'm guessing that we will get more of the less humanoid races eventually, like Kel Dor, Weequay, or possibly even Trandoshan. However, the tradeoff would be that they are unable to pursue romance options, as the animations for the kissing scenes would be really off.

Guildrum's Avatar


Guildrum
03.29.2012 , 10:46 AM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by NickM View Post
I'm guessing that we will get more of the less humanoid races eventually, like Kel Dor, Weequay, or possibly even Trandoshan. However, the tradeoff would be that they are unable to pursue romance options, as the animations for the kissing scenes would be really off.
Then there's speaking basic, and the stories themselves. If I made a Trandoshan Smuggler, and there is one point in the Smuggler story where I was intercepted by some bounty hunters referring to me as an "easy target". A Trandoshan being an easy target? Then there's the whole thing about excluding them from romances, speaking basic... I think it's too much work for too little reward.
The Shaffer Legacy: Begeren Colony

Shaffer Lazy-eye Horace Sleth
Journalist, Pirate Bodyguard Sith