Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Darth Vader never got paid for RotJ!

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > STAR WARS Discussion
Darth Vader never got paid for RotJ!

ErikModi
03.29.2012 , 11:37 AM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by Tuscad View Post
I like George Lucas but lets face it, he is extremely bad about keeping people in the dark. Mark Hamill was only told that Vader was his father immediately before the scene was shot, Hamill himself said that he felt he could have delivered his lines better had he had a few minutes to rehearse.
I don't blame Lucas at all for this one. It's called comparementalization of information. Only Lucas, Kershner, and Hamill (and Jones, later) knew that big reveal. While David Prowse was reportedly upset he didn't get to say the line (and found out, again, at the premier), having Prowse say the line on set means that not only do know Lucas, Kershner, Hamill, and Prowse all know that Vader is Luke's father, anyone and everyone on the set knows. We're talking ever camera operator, grip, gaffer, makeup person, prop department person, costumer, assistant, and craft service person. That's easily dozens of people, and those are just the ones actually directly involved in the production, that says nothing of anyone who "dropped by" the set that day for any of a myriad of reasons. Even if you close the set, and have only the absolutely essential personnel on-hand for filming (a common practice, especially for nude scenes), you still have probably at least a dozen people on hand, who have now heard arguably the single biggest plot twist in the whole Star Wars saga. How many of them are REALLY going to keep their mouths shut for six-to-twelve months while post-production happens and the film is finally released?

No, were I in Lucas' shoes for that shoot, I would have done the exact same thing. I would have apologized immediately after the premier, though.
Jedi vs. Sith, Page 97, column 2, paragraph 4, line 1:

Prior to the Battle of Ruusan, the Jedi used crystals from many different sources, and ignited lightsabers in every known hue, including purple, orange, and gold.

Infalliable
03.29.2012 , 11:51 AM | #22
This is pretty common across all of Hollywood.

Once common way to get this works like this:

Basically the studios set up an LLC or similar company to do the actual shoot of the movie. The talent then works for this LLC.

The studio then charges the LLC for everything under the sun. Printing movie tape, marketing, distribution, consulting, legal, etc., etc. with profit & overhead added for good measure.

Surprisingly, this ends up being basically the income of the movie!

So the studio profits wildly, but the LLC is setup to never turn a profit. As such, they never have to pay out any residuals.

lokivoid
03.29.2012 , 11:55 AM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by AlphaBraddox View Post
Another reason to see how greedy George Lucas is. Copied from site discussing shady Hollywood accounting:

David Prowse, the guy who was in the Darth Vader costume in the original trilogy of Star Wars (before being ousted by that douche Hayden Christensen in the special edition) has never been paid for Return of the Jedi because it hasn’t turned a profit after nearly 30 years. That’s after dozens of home video and theatrical re-releases. (All the merchandising money goes to Lucas directly, of course.)

Quote from Prowse:

“I get these occasional letters from Lucasfilm saying that we regret to inform you that as Return of the Jedi has never gone into profit, we’ve got nothing to send you. Now here we’re talking about one of the biggest releases of all time,” said Prowse. “I don’t want to look like I’m bit ching about it,” he said, “but on the other hand, if there’s a pot of gold somewhere that I ought to be having a share of, I would like to see it.”

I find this hard to believe but wow!

Thats a common contract scam used by a large number of producers. Their is a clause in their contract that states if the gross revenues under a certain percentage, then they do not have to pay. However what the gross revenues are defined as in the contract are intentionally vague. So they can pretty much claim being below set revenues with no real way to dispute it in court.

Like i said this is a vary common logistics scam used by producers. Its not limited to lucasarts. Infact almost every movie made does this. moral of the story never sign a contract without first paying a highend lawyer to review and revise it.

Tuscad
03.29.2012 , 12:14 PM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by ErikModi View Post
I don't blame Lucas at all for this one. It's called comparementalization of information. Only Lucas, Kershner, and Hamill (and Jones, later) knew that big reveal. While David Prowse was reportedly upset he didn't get to say the line (and found out, again, at the premier), having Prowse say the line on set means that not only do know Lucas, Kershner, Hamill, and Prowse all know that Vader is Luke's father, anyone and everyone on the set knows. We're talking ever camera operator, grip, gaffer, makeup person, prop department person, costumer, assistant, and craft service person. That's easily dozens of people, and those are just the ones actually directly involved in the production, that says nothing of anyone who "dropped by" the set that day for any of a myriad of reasons. Even if you close the set, and have only the absolutely essential personnel on-hand for filming (a common practice, especially for nude scenes), you still have probably at least a dozen people on hand, who have now heard arguably the single biggest plot twist in the whole Star Wars saga. How many of them are REALLY going to keep their mouths shut for six-to-twelve months while post-production happens and the film is finally released?

No, were I in Lucas' shoes for that shoot, I would have done the exact same thing. I would have apologized immediately after the premier, though.
I wasn't saying tell everyone, I was just using that as an example and I was stating that I believe that Mark should have been told sooner then he was so that he could have had more time to prepare.
Date Joined: March 2009 - Date unsubbed: 9/18/2012
It's been real but the game just wasn't worth the sub for me anymore.
Star Wars: First Assault is an Xbox Live Arcade game: http://kotaku.com/5948064/um-whats-t...ox-live-arcade

Cylux
03.29.2012 , 03:51 PM | #25
By all accounts the main falling out point between Prose and Lucas was when the former let the cat out of the bag that Vader died in ROTJ. The irony is, he didn't actually know that at the time, the interview proceeded along these lines:
"-So Vader dies in this film?
-Oh no, George would never kill off Vader, he's the main villain, he's always going to be there.
-But there's so and so playing the part of Anakin Skywalker's Ghost in the credits, and that's Luke's father's name - Darth Vader.
*Pregnant Pause*
-I guess he must then."

VADER DIES IN THE NEXT STARS WARS FILM, DAVID PROSE REVEALS ALL!

Filming after that point was strained, to say the least.

valin-krai
03.30.2012 , 02:16 AM | #26
He is not the only actor/actress that got a new voice. The lady who plays Aunt Beru did, the bartender in the Cantina did, eventually Jeremy Bulloch did, and of course Ray Park didn't voice Darth Maul. Difference is, he is a ***** about it and got himself on the list of people LucasFilm doesn't want at conventions. The rest are well loved or dead.
Kitster is the real hero of the Star Wars saga.

Astarica
03.30.2012 , 02:48 AM | #27
Kind of side tracked but Hollywood accounting really isn't this evil thing people talk about simply because whoever's in charge of the actor's union have access to all the same evil lawyers too, especially all the major actors who stand to make big money. Maybe back in the era of Star Wars some people got exploited but Hollywood accounting is pretty well-known by now and evil works for both sides.

AlphaBraddox
03.31.2012 , 11:04 PM | #28
Kinda funny how peeps are siding with Lucas. How much money he has again? If Prowse was a big time actor with money then boo hoo but not like he had tons of work and not to pay him anything is low.

maxetius
03.31.2012 , 11:25 PM | #29
If Lucas had his way, David Prowse would be retconned out of Star Wars entirely.

HaltHammerzeit
04.03.2012 , 06:34 AM | #30
I seem to remember that Prowse was told about the twist of Vader being Luke's father, but he let the cat out of the bag on some talk show so he wasn't told about Leia being Luke's sister at all.

And he does go to conventions. I've got his autograph from the first Celebration Europe.