Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

What is the purpose of this game?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > New Player Help
What is the purpose of this game?

Yule
03.28.2012 , 09:40 PM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by Livedtomato View Post
So as the title says I'm a little confused as to what is it my character is supposed to be doing in this game. I know that it's Sith Empire vs. The Republic but as far as I can tell each faction has its own questing area so the chances of you seeing another person of the opposite faction are rather slim unless you go to Ilum and come on let us be honest, does anyone go there? So PvP isn't the big thing here, now PvE. Other than a few quests and flashpoints what is my character striving towards? Is there some end game boss that I'll end up grinding until the new content, or what?

It seems to me as though you're looking for a "The End" moment. The problem is MMO's don't have that, especially not this one. Games like this are all about the journey, the rise to power, and (in this one in particular) the story that's yours along the way.
"If an idea does not seem insane at first, then there is no hope for it." ---- "Insanity is not being willing to try new tactics. Insanity is using the same tactics and expecting a different result." ---- "There is too much fail in that sentance"

dooseyboy
03.28.2012 , 11:13 PM | #12
the purpose of my character is to embody the Jedi orders values and to help any who need help in any way.
also to slay poon and kill baddies :P
Master Dar'Nala

CpnSparkle
Maralukan Jedi Consular

shama
03.29.2012 , 01:30 AM | #13
So as the title says I'm a little confused as to what is it my character is supposed to be doing in this game... Other than a few quests and flashpoints what is my character striving towards?
Play your character's class quests and it will be clear what your characters is striving towards. Each character class has a different goal. Playing planet quests will give them something else to strive towards on a shorter term basis.

A bit weird to dismiss things with 'other than a few quests', because quests are the mechanism by which a character's story is progressed.
Quote: Originally Posted by Bertrand Russell
One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision

Dalwhat
03.29.2012 , 01:35 AM | #14
We really are at the beginning of it all. The trick, of course, is to make sure we never find the end. - Bill Bryson, A Short History of Nearly Everything

^^^
This

pandasteaks
03.29.2012 , 02:06 AM | #15
the answer is 7

DDSilver
03.29.2012 , 02:14 AM | #16
So as the title says I'm a little confused as to what is it my character is supposed to be doing in this game. I know that it's Sith Empire vs. The Republic but as far as I can tell each faction has its own questing area so the chances of you seeing another person of the opposite faction are rather slim unless you go to Ilum and come on let us be honest, does anyone go there? So PvP isn't the big thing here, now PvE. Other than a few quests and flashpoints what is my character striving towards? Is there some end game boss that I'll end up grinding until the new content, or what?
This your first MMORPG m8?

monkeydud
03.29.2012 , 02:15 AM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by GymQuirk View Post
Ultimately, the purpose is to supply revenue to Electronic Arts.

100 credits for the best answer EVER on the forums
`Insert Random Old Skool Gaming Quote`

My fansite

Baelish
03.29.2012 , 02:19 AM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by pandasteaks View Post
the answer is 7
42, surely?

sjmc
03.29.2012 , 05:13 AM | #19
I know that it's Sith Empire vs. The Republic but as far as I can tell each faction has its own questing area so the chances of you seeing another person of the opposite faction are rather slim unless you go to Ilum and come on let us be honest, does anyone go there?
On planets that are shared between the Empire and Republic, while the questing areas are mostly different (except for the bonus series areas), you can always get to the enemy side easily enough if you want to look for enemies. Look for a road that leads off of the explored area of your map to an area where quests are not sending you.

If you head into enemy territory, you should be able to find enemies to PVP with. They should be around your level too, so could be a fair and interesting fight. Watch out for level 50 guards near their bases, though.

Erevan_Kindelar
03.29.2012 , 05:17 AM | #20
Each world has its own boss, but it seems to me as though OP has only experienced the first 2 or 3 planets. Once you get to Nar Shaddaa, the planets are shared. For sure, the Empire and Republic congregate in different areas, but this is the case in any conflict, otherwise it would be a really short war.