Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

No to stat sticks!

Dyvim
03.30.2012 , 04:08 PM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by Kellan View Post
Darth Vader, Episode VI Return of the Jedi, disagrees with you. He threw his saber at Luke.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRY5dl_oxvo

At 1:42 in you can see it, and considering it is original trilogy it has precedence over Yoda's saber throw.

As to the actual "problem" why not just make the Balance tree a blend of melee/force (like with shadows) but have it lean more towards force powers as a Sage. This gives the option of pure range in Seer and Telekinetics, while giving a "hybrid" playstyle with the Balance tree.
Uh, I said the only JEDI. Vader is a sith. And of course he saber throws. That was never in dispute. Saber throw has been considered a neutral power for forever, particularly in licensed jedi games.
The Crystal is the Heart of the Blade.
The Heart is the Crystal of the Jedi.
The Jedi is the Crystal of the Force.
The Force is the Blade of the Heart.
All are Intertwined...the Crystal, the Blade, the Jedi...

Dyvim
03.30.2012 , 04:11 PM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by RowanThursday View Post
I take your points on board, and I'd agree- if the Sassassin ( ) and Shadow could do *that*, which would make far more sense, then most of my objections to the Silly Stick would evaporate- and we'd *have* a class that was a force-user with proper lightsabre, thus answering the problem posed in this thread, without the loot problems.

On identification... personally, I think the "Let's make everyone look the same as much as possible so nobody will have a second's confusion in PvP" is a brain-suckingly annoying approach for the devs to take... but, if that's important to them, I agree, your solution would work around it without violating that better than mine would.
I agree, it is ridculous to have the game with the equivalent of a neon ID tag over everyones head...but that is the way they went...

But if you like the ID use the link and cime in on the suggestion thread, if you are so moved...
The Crystal is the Heart of the Blade.
The Heart is the Crystal of the Jedi.
The Jedi is the Crystal of the Force.
The Force is the Blade of the Heart.
All are Intertwined...the Crystal, the Blade, the Jedi...

RodneyMcNeely
03.30.2012 , 05:00 PM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by RowanThursday View Post
On identification... personally, I think the "Let's make everyone look the same as much as possible so nobody will have a second's confusion in PvP" is a brain-suckingly annoying approach for the devs to take... but, if that's important to them, I agree, your solution would work around it without violating that better than mine would.
Dear God, I HATE that idea. I hated it in World of Warcraft, and I can't stand it here. IMHO, if you don't fight like your opponent is dangerous regardless of how he/she looks, you DESERVE to lose. I'm glad that 1.2 will allow us to look just the way we like in endgame.

/rantoff

Just to leaven my first paragraph, I LOVE this game. It's honestly the best one I've ever played, and I'm having a blast.

LawStanz
03.30.2012 , 09:54 PM | #24
What you're describing is sort of what Balance Sage was until later in testing. Force Strike used to be an actual melee attack, and the balance tree was an exact duplicate for Sages and Shadows. It gave Sages some limited melee viability.

Then Bioware pooped on it.

ArlindoGMNeto
03.31.2012 , 01:41 AM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by Assam View Post
You have 3 Classes completely devoted to the saber, who are melee classes, who use the Force.

Can you really not allow that there is one class devoted to the Force more than the others? The Jedi started out learning the Force first, check the lore on it - they brought the sabers in second, well the Sith brought in the ones you are familiar with now, but nonetheless, a Jedi is predominantly a Force user, that is their wont.

You've brought this up on another thread and I've done my best to explain to you that the Sage is a ranged class who DOES have melee options but the Sage is too squishy to fight in close combat for too long. You can use Double Strike, Single Strike, you can use your saber to charge your Force powers (Force Potency) you can block blaster bolts, block other sabers, you can use your saber to be more powerful in the Force - why do you need more?

They have already had to nerf the Sage because they were too powerful - giving them more melee would mean you'd have to give them better armour, doing that would make them overly powerful - they are FINE how they are.

This is an MMO - not KOTOR or KOTOR 2.

Bioware have said since the start that this is not a sandbox game - they learned the lessons that Star Wars Galaxies made when they let things get out of control and I don't see why Bioware should make the same mistakes.

MMOs require different types for different jobs - the Sage has been designated a healer or a Ranged Force DPS, they are not tanks or off tanks, they can't be, armour is too squishy.

The reason you have 4 different classes for Jedi is really simple, so you can work as team with the other classes, each of you bolstering the weakness of the others.

You have a ton of choice of saber and Force classes, you have the Shadow which I think would really suit your needs from what you have been saying -possibly even a Guardian could fulfil your love of sabers - seriously, why don't you give them a go?

Can't you just leave those of us who want to use the Force more alone and chose your saber from all the other classes that are specifically designed to use them?
Weīre not trying to spoil the fun for anyone who actually like the sage class. All iīm saying is that thereīs no point in giving a lightsaber to a jedi and expect him to NOT fight with it.

I donīt like JK because of their awful animations and "baseball bat lightsaber". And i donīt want the tank role in this game. Dual sabers is not my thing either, so no sentinels.

I also donīt like the idea of "rogue jedi" and i just hate double-bladed sabers. Thats why i didnt roll a shadow.

So here i was, playing a sage and having fun doing it. But having a lightsaber in my hand and being a jedi, thereīs NO WAY im going to sit back and spam force attacks all day. The temptation to rush in and engage in melee is too strong and often i get bashed by my team in WZ / FP cause im doing it.

I donīt see your point about SWG and its sandbox style. It was not being a sandbox game that killed it. It was the stupid NGE, when SOE decided to dumb down things to the ground

And i donīt think that allowing the jedi class some freedom with skills / lightsaber types would be anywhere near a sandbox game. Seriously. It would only fix what i think is one of the biggest flaws in this game.
-Sir, weīre surrounded!

-Good! Now we can attack them from any direction.

Assam
04.02.2012 , 06:50 AM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by ArlindoGMNeto View Post
Weīre not trying to spoil the fun for anyone who actually like the sage class. All iīm saying is that thereīs no point in giving a lightsaber to a jedi and expect him to NOT fight with it.

I donīt like JK because of their awful animations and "baseball bat lightsaber". And i donīt want the tank role in this game. Dual sabers is not my thing either, so no sentinels.

I also donīt like the idea of "rogue jedi" and i just hate double-bladed sabers. Thats why i didnt roll a shadow.

So here i was, playing a sage and having fun doing it. But having a lightsaber in my hand and being a jedi, thereīs NO WAY im going to sit back and spam force attacks all day. The temptation to rush in and engage in melee is too strong and often i get bashed by my team in WZ / FP cause im doing it.

I donīt see your point about SWG and its sandbox style. It was not being a sandbox game that killed it. It was the stupid NGE, when SOE decided to dumb down things to the ground

And i donīt think that allowing the jedi class some freedom with skills / lightsaber types would be anywhere near a sandbox game. Seriously. It would only fix what i think is one of the biggest flaws in this game.
I'm not entirely sure I can help you.

You want a ranged class to be melee and you don't like how Bioware have put together any of the melee classes.

Forgive me for saying so, I promise this is said without a hint of meaness or sarcasm, but I'm not holding out much hope that you'd like the Sage with melee skills.
There is no emotion, there is peace. There is no ignorance, there is knowledge. There is no passion, there is serenity. There is no chaos, there is harmony. There is no death, there is the Force.The good news there is Tea too!

deags
04.02.2012 , 07:02 AM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by Assam View Post
I'm not entirely sure I can help you.

You want a ranged class to be melee and you don't like how Bioware have put together any of the melee classes.

Forgive me for saying so, I promise this is said without a hint of meaness or sarcasm, but I'm not holding out much hope that you'd like the Sage with melee skills.
Have to agree with this, you don't like the jedi melee attack animations but you want melee attacks added to the Sage, OP you aren't going to get what you want and even if you did get what you wanted you wouldn't like it...
Vors, sith assassin of Guild Grievance
www.grievanceguild.com

DarkDruidSS
04.02.2012 , 07:04 AM | #28
Sage/Sorc = mage/ranged caster
Shadow/Sin = melee caster hybrid

If you wanted more melee then you rolled the wrong class. Period. End of story. Shadow/Assassins have the melee abilities you are missing and they have a large assortment of casted abilities.

It's not going to change no matter how much you want it to. If Sages got a saber throw (another ranged ability) then sorcs would want it too. If you both got it then cool, but you aren't going to get more melee abilities when you are a ranged caster.

Some games make ranged classes completely ranged. At least you get to keep your 2 melee abilities from level 1. If you really want to melee then go to town with those abilties. If you want more melee then you have to roll a melee class.
Beatrush - 50 Assassin | Satellitebeam - 50 Sniper
Katastrophe - 41 Powertech | Ømnislash - 34 Marauder
Highwind - 29 Commando | ßraver - 23 Sentinel
Finalheaven - 21 Sage | Bigbrawl - 14 Scoundrel

Cornrow
04.02.2012 , 11:09 AM | #29
I like my Sage as far as mechanics, I usually play healers or ranged DPS. BUT having a stat stick still sucks.

How about changes to the animation and descriptions of some short range abilities? Instead of Force Wave being a screwy Mario shake the ground when you land jump, make it Whirling Saber, a 360 Force enhanced swat.

Tumult can also be turned into something other than a Street Fighter inspired corkscrew kick. Like picking the target off the ground with the Force and whacking them with saber.

And Assassin/Shadows get a great mix of zap and stab, I like my Assassin plenty as well. I can see how needing to use a double bladed saber could disappoint some folks though.

ikinai
04.02.2012 , 11:19 AM | #30
Mountains out of molehills.

Don't touch my sage, I like her just the way she is. As others have said, you want to be melee jedi? There are plenty of classes with that as the focus. Instead of trying to change this class to something that no other jedi does, why not try to get the other classes 'fixed' on the animation part that you don't like? I say yes to stat sticks and I'm proud to say it!
I'll tell you what, then. Why don't you call me some time when you have no class?
--Rodney Dangerfield Back to School
Is this referral mic on? It's free stuff and stuff, in game.