Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

No to stat sticks!


ArlindoGMNeto's Avatar


ArlindoGMNeto
03.28.2012 , 08:40 PM | #1
As a sage, i hate how my lightsaber is just used as a stat stick. We are force users, right, but we´re JEDI nonetheless.

My sugestion: give us the tools to fight efectively in melee.
A little boost in health, a few talents and skills (players will have to sacrifice some healing or balance talents) should do the trick.

Or maybe lowering the base dmg on the force skills. Then players would have to choose to be a healer, or a healer, "pure force" or a melee hybrid.

The "pure force" sage would be more like a controller, and not a heavy dps like the current state. That would fix the WZ crowded with sages / sorcs problem.

The hybrid would be a controller that engages on melee, fighting with a lightsaber, but also helps the team using crowd control skills and debuffs.

The healing spec is good as it is.

These are just ideas, you guys feel free to add, improve, etc.

The main idea is to get rid of the "hey, im a jedi, i have a lightsaber but im just hold it in my hand and spam rocks at you".
Code for free stuff: http://www.swtor.com/r/BsbXpj

Dyvim's Avatar


Dyvim
03.28.2012 , 09:11 PM | #2
Quote: Originally Posted by ArlindoGMNeto View Post
As a sage, i hate how my lightsaber is just used as a stat stick. We are force users, right, but we´re JEDI nonetheless.

My sugestion: give us the tools to fight efectively in melee.
A little boost in health, a few talents and skills (players will have to sacrifice some healing or balance talents) should do the trick.

Or maybe lowering the base dmg on the force skills. Then players would have to choose to be a healer, or a healer, "pure force" or a melee hybrid.

The "pure force" sage would be more like a controller, and not a heavy dps like the current state. That would fix the WZ crowded with sages / sorcs problem.

The hybrid would be a controller that engages on melee, fighting with a lightsaber, but also helps the team using crowd control skills and debuffs.

The healing spec is good as it is.

These are just ideas, you guys feel free to add, improve, etc.

The main idea is to get rid of the "hey, im a jedi, i have a lightsaber but im just hold it in my hand and spam rocks at you".
You are kind of describing a shadow. I seriously doubt the devs will make melee changes to sages when that variant already exists in shadows...

Sages dont get any more saber skills after lvl 1 because they are either ranged dps or ranged healing...period. But I do completely agree that the nonstop rock throwing is ridiculous.

One suggestion I like is to replace chunk a clunker (project) with a saber throw...sure knights get it in the 30s...but the only jedi to throw a saber in the movies is Yoda, clearly a consular. And what makes more sense for a jedi to throw? Magically conjured rocks (especially cute when you in a spaceship) or that lightsaber in your hand that by the way should be able to cut through about anything...seems obvious to me.

You could also get rid of chunk a clunkers damage delay and kill two birds with one animation replacement...
The Crystal is the Heart of the Blade.
The Heart is the Crystal of the Jedi.
The Jedi is the Crystal of the Force.
The Force is the Blade of the Heart.
All are Intertwined...the Crystal, the Blade, the Jedi...

ArlindoGMNeto's Avatar


ArlindoGMNeto
03.28.2012 , 09:24 PM | #3
Dude, what pisses me off ( and a lot of people, believe me) is that BW is trying to turn a JEDI into a MAGE.

Force users? Yes. Mages? Hell no!

All Jedi are meant to be a master of lightsaber fighting.

If it were up to me, i´d get rid of the JK and consular classes and make just one class: Jedi.

Then you train in specific skills corresponding to your desired role. Wanna heal? Tank? Crowd control? Even a mix of it? Why not? They´re letting even STORMTROOPERS use the force with that legacy crap.

Make it one class, let us wield any type of lightsabers, get the Jedi class some decent looking gear and this game is gonna be so much better.
Code for free stuff: http://www.swtor.com/r/BsbXpj

Dyvim's Avatar


Dyvim
03.28.2012 , 09:52 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by ArlindoGMNeto View Post
Dude, what pisses me off ( and a lot of people, believe me) is that BW is trying to turn a JEDI into a MAGE.

Force users? Yes. Mages? Hell no!

All Jedi are meant to be a master of lightsaber fighting.

If it were up to me, i´d get rid of the JK and consular classes and make just one class: Jedi.

Then you train in specific skills corresponding to your desired role. Wanna heal? Tank? Crowd control? Even a mix of it? Why not? They´re letting even STORMTROOPERS use the force with that legacy crap.

Make it one class, let us wield any type of lightsabers, get the Jedi class some decent looking gear and this game is gonna be so much better.
Well, I dont know what to tell you. The classes are tied into the stories, the stories are tied into the VO, and the classes are further tied down with the poorly implemented mirror paradigm, cross faction, so we are never going to see any changes there...but you can go a LONG way to fix the mage impression by spending the time and effort they put into the sith side ani's into the consular ani's. Look at force lift, the cc. If you just lift me in the air, Im still going to shoot you @ss...it is ridiculous...now look at the Inq version...the target is trapped, spinning, in whirlwind with lightning effects flashing in it. INFINITELY COOLER and more believable as a cc. INFINITELY.

And the whole class/adv classes are like that...look at the Sins Surge, where the DBL LS is essentially turned into a massive lightning rod, versus Force Breach for shadows...there is no comparison in the coolness of those animations...I could go on and on...chunk a clunker...pebblestorm...arrrggggh.....

But to your original point, the system you are describing has been in an MMO...it was early star wars galaxies....jedi got to choose from FIVE skill trees...lightsaber, powers, enhancement, healing, and defense. You could pick and choose, mix and match. It was a great system and would have been better if it was fully developed. There were some balance issues that were never tackled...but you could be a "yoda" type, with awesome LS skills, AND serious enhancement skills, like force absorb, force speed, etc. It was wonderful. Then the darktimes came...the NGE.

This is not wonderful, or even jedi-like, but it is what we have...and hopefully BW will pull head from arse, watch a star wars movie or two, and make some changes.
The Crystal is the Heart of the Blade.
The Heart is the Crystal of the Jedi.
The Jedi is the Crystal of the Force.
The Force is the Blade of the Heart.
All are Intertwined...the Crystal, the Blade, the Jedi...

ArlindoGMNeto's Avatar


ArlindoGMNeto
03.28.2012 , 10:22 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Dyvim View Post
...and hopefully BW will pull head from arse, watch a star wars movie or two, and make some changes.
Amem to that, brother...
Code for free stuff: http://www.swtor.com/r/BsbXpj

TurokDarkstar's Avatar


TurokDarkstar
03.29.2012 , 03:52 AM | #6
If you're looking for a "canon" jedi, Shadow is it. They utilize both the force and lightsaber attacks -- like movie jedi.

Cleet_Xia's Avatar


Cleet_Xia
03.29.2012 , 06:03 PM | #7
I really don't get where people are coming from about our lightsabe being useless. Our free cast attack does almost exactly the same damage as anyone else's free cast attack. Sure we don't have a whole toolbox of lightsaber abilities. But if I'm at melee range as a sage healer- I've prbabably screwed up somewhere. The only lightsabe ability I think we are missing is some sort of melee range defensive skill with the lightsaber.

Maybe a 5 second "blade ward" type skill that had a long CD.

Of course It would be nice to see a saber throw attack that pierced the target and then returned to the hand. But I really don't want a melee skill when my goal is to stay out of melee range at all times.
~Master Telagtun Telag of Lord Calypho~

danielweberdlc's Avatar


danielweberdlc
03.29.2012 , 06:10 PM | #8
I have to say, now that I think about it, this makes a lot more sense than what's in the game.

Really, all jedi should be melee based - let troopers and smuggles skulk at range - makes more sense for them as well.

denpic's Avatar


denpic
03.29.2012 , 06:17 PM | #9
Roll a Jedi night if you want to melee
Why would you choose a range
Class then expect/demand it to be able to melee

GavinPatterson's Avatar


GavinPatterson
03.29.2012 , 07:44 PM | #10
i would like to see the project replaced with the saber throw. There is another thread that talks about this as well. One thing it mentioned is that yoda used if not mastered and shaped the Ataru form. I am not a mage, I am a jedi that uses the force -
do not dare in class stories make me dual someone with my saber when i cannot outside the video.
Barsen'thor; Jedi Master, Council member, mender of the rift and master of hidden knowledge