Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Feedback request from James Ohlen - Open World PvP

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
Feedback request from James Ohlen - Open World PvP

View Poll Results: What type of Open World PvP objectives would you most like to see?
'Raw' Open World 500 22.77%
PvPvE balanced 1,021 46.49%
Faction population capped 340 15.48%
Guild based (non-faction specific) 335 15.26%
Voters: 2196. You may not vote on this poll

Cheeseblaster
04.11.2012 , 12:16 PM | #371
Quote: Originally Posted by JeramieCrowe View Post
LOTS of people LOVE Huttball.

But don't worry, soon they'll allow players to choose a WZ to queue up for, as soon as they implement the cross-server queuing. So if you don't like Huttball, don't queue up for it!

I think it would cool if they "televised" the matches on the holonet so it can be watched and bet on. That'd be sweet.
Huttball is the only competitive WZ there is right now. Voidstar and CW are always blowouts one way or the other...
"This is war not kindergarten, suck it up"

Dacer
04.11.2012 , 12:23 PM | #372
The guild warfare would work well for the empire side where infighting happens all the time( story/lore wise)
Would be really out of place for the republic side tho..

BUT no different than pub vs pub WZs i guess.

However, i certainly wouldnt complain if a guild ver guild system was set up or even better.

To have guild vs guild and faction vs faction system.

Allow guilds to build formal alliances with a chat channel and everything.
- this will build community on a server as well.
Have areas that these guilds and alliances fight over for the prestige or for resources/other perks

Make it so that factions have to fight over objectives that have real benifits IE - they allow certain daily missions to open up. Possibly other pvp dailies or pve.

I do think its best to have some sort of NPC balancing to off set the server in balance that might exist.

JeramieCrowe
04.11.2012 , 12:24 PM | #373
Quote: Originally Posted by Cheeseblaster View Post
Huttball is the only competitive WZ there is right now. Voidstar and CW are always blowouts one way or the other...
I've heard nothing but good stuff about Navare Coast. Midnight tonight servers are going down to implement it with 1.2.

Good news, eh?
Allix Crowe - Vanguard Trooper -/- Ethavan Crowe - Smuggler Gunslinger -/- Malrath Crowe - Powertech Bounty Hunter -/- Boslo - Jedi Knight Sentinel -/- Jiao-gen Pall - Jedi Knight Guardian -/- Landen Tanarr - Jedi Consular Sage -/- Vaelyth Kinti-kaar- Sith Warrior Juggernaut -/- Oteln'erose'thu - Imperial Agent Sniper -/- Zandur Tuum - Cathar Knight

LillyWhiteS
04.11.2012 , 08:02 PM | #374
From my Combat Medics view, 0-0 Voids were the most intense/competitive fights, you know in round two one door is game over and you do all you can to stop the cap and the same with the other side.

Huttball is the Warzone where classes play too big a part for me, some are just so much better than others and this is the WZ that shows it up.
Need a Variety of Warzone size/participants/objectives, something like an Alterac Valley.

Warhammer may have messed it up, but the idea of forts and the reward was sound, fix Ilum.

Archllord
04.12.2012 , 12:05 AM | #375
Open World PvP to Me is alot more Fun Compare to WZ. And i must say the best Open PVP system out there is still War Hammer where Realm is able to fight and Push from Point to Point.

ekaikaforge
04.12.2012 , 01:13 AM | #376
Not entirely true. I've had 2 cw's lately end close, 15-0, and 35-0. Really depends how quickly the losing team gives up. Seems on my server, most fight to the end.

Sirkeldron
04.12.2012 , 02:00 AM | #377
1st of all, WZs are not open world pvp (as we discuss this matter in this thread).

Ilum is open world pvp (as pvp zones in various planets are).

I have played almost all the famous mmos the last 12 years, all in official servers.
In my opinion, from all those games, the one that had the best open world pvp system, (even though this game sunk at the end of the day) was Aion.

Why?

Because it gave players a cause to team up and fight for (call that a fortress, infiltrate, whatever).

Gamers like massive pvp. But when Frames-per-Second (FPS) drops down to 2-5, none wants to participate. To solve this problem, in Aion you had the option to hide character sprites and see only the names of players (aside the group members).

Gamers like to win (attackers or defenders). So give them the tools to achieve that. Ex. In Ilum we had 4 turrets as defenders, from which 2 didnít work.

Gamers like rewards for their efforts. Give them something unique as a reward for participating in open world pvp.

Pages could be written about open world pvp. Iíd like to close this post by saying that SWTOR must not be an arena-based pvp game. Soon enough people will get bored from the same story every day, and will leave.

Baalzamon
04.12.2012 , 06:30 AM | #378
'Raw' Open World 500
PvPvE balanced 1,021

*** people would rather have PvPve Balanced over 'Raw' Open World?
Looks like this is not my game... already unsubbed.

Ancen
04.12.2012 , 10:56 AM | #379
Quote: Originally Posted by Baalzamon View Post
'Raw' Open World 500
PvPvE balanced 1,021

*** people would rather have PvPve Balanced over 'Raw' Open World?
Looks like this is not my game... already unsubbed.
I read the "raw open world" as what Ilum was basically... i.e. effectively worthless with any population imbalance. No real capturables, no keeps, no npc's or scaling etc. to help when imbalance was there, etc. On the other hand, I read the "PvPvE balanced" to mean more like DAOC and WAR "realm vs. realm" combat, which is awesome stuff. So, yeah, I'm not surprised most voted for that option.

Ruwe
04.12.2012 , 11:54 AM | #380
Maybe it's already been said, but the Dark Age of Camelot model was extremely fun. You had a set number of Forts, whoever held the most at that time had access to extra content (i.e. an extra FP or Op or both!) with more epic drops, rare crafting materials that could only be gotten through that instance, you also got a slight buff to your factions xp gain and money gain per kill even in PvE, I believe it was 2% or so?

The forts had defenses, you had to break through them to get inside, then there were NPC objectives that you had to 'kill' to gain control of the fort, it's been awhile, but I believe that the NPC difficulty scaled based off of participation/population. It was incredibly fun and challenging, and when your faction gained control of the enough forts, it was a true sense of accomplishment, not just for you, but for your entire faction.

Make PvP about more than killing the other player. Been there, done that, it gets old pretty fast and FPS's do it better anyway. Give us objectives, and make those objectives worth something, not just for PvP, but for your entire faction.

and as for balancing the imbalance, PvPvE would work well with that type of model.

Just my 0.02c
~
The average response time of a 911 call is over 4 minutes.
The average response time of a .45 round is over 900 fps.
~