Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Feedback request from James Ohlen - Open World PvP

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
Feedback request from James Ohlen - Open World PvP

View Poll Results: What type of Open World PvP objectives would you most like to see?
'Raw' Open World 500 22.77%
PvPvE balanced 1,021 46.49%
Faction population capped 340 15.48%
Guild based (non-faction specific) 335 15.26%
Voters: 2196. You may not vote on this poll

Costello
03.28.2012 , 05:11 PM | #11
Open world PvP with decent objectives is the only thing that really works as end game.

Most MMO's follow a familar pattern you level up to max level and then you raid for gear to get the best gear which makes raiding easier to get the top end gear and once you have that all that is left is high end PvP.

Now there is no point to PvP if after the 5 or 10 min match and then everything is reset. Providing you are not after valor or commendations or some such it becomes pointless cause no matter what you do nothing happens and nothing changes. But if things change in the game world then people have a reason to fight and build allies and to stay fighting.

Probably the best example of this would be the Warhammer RvR lakes where people fought over areas or Restuss in Star Wars Galaxies where the two factions clashed. And that we already have factions in the game would make sence to use them as the basis for the PvP. Sort of fits with the idea that there is a war going on and futher promotes a greater sence of factional identity.

Now PvPvE often works the best as it gives people things to kill in the open world pvp areas things to kill while waiting on others to turn up to defend their base or objective.

BrianDavion
03.28.2012 , 05:15 PM | #12
I'd like BTW to speak out AGAINST guild focused battles. that'll ruin the open world PVP experiance for the "little guy" and you'd likely get servers dominated by a small number (less then you can count on one hand) of megaguilds. which IMHO would be unhealthy for the game

captortn
03.28.2012 , 05:16 PM | #13
I'm an enormous fan of mechanics assisting in imbalanced PVP situations.

Some sort of large scale warfare--though not necessarily everybody in the same local area--with people coming and going despite the tides of war pushing to and fro (e.g., old-school Alterac Valley) would be extremely pleasant. Basically, some PVE mechanics to assist in defense and offense would be very nice with opportunities to turn the tide of the battle.

Dezzi
03.28.2012 , 05:16 PM | #14
Raw Open World, but with the caveat that it also opens up the factions to play with each other (or not) at will. The game as it is goes to great lengths to compartmentalize the two factions, adding to a sense that there's no war at all (no PvP) and it severely impacts community development. I think any changes to PvP would necessitate bringing the two factions together and giving players more opportunities to draw lines in the sand during normal questing.

What this would mean is opening up questing areas (current or future) so that the factions meet in the open more often to encourage wild PvP, but would also require better and more numerous PvP areas (like Illum) with real objectives and tangible consequences a la RvR.
Ebon Hawk (RP)
Peace | Knowledge | Serenity | the Force
I'm a Jedi because the galaxy needs Jedi.

Erynz
03.28.2012 , 05:17 PM | #15
Has James considered making things Alignment based instead of faction based? So Lightside, Darkside and neutral? That not only has the benefit of creating 3 factions instantly, but it allows players the flexibilty of changing sides to fix any population imbalance.

Celwinn
03.28.2012 , 05:18 PM | #16
Guild vs Guild.

Many MMOs have normal PVP so why not have something (relatively) different?

Besides you can utilize the Allies/Adversaries program better:

Allies = Non enemy and can help take objectives
Adversaries = Small boost in Commendations

But you have to include an in game system for this, so this may not work out that well.
Don't let the past define you

Claymaniac
03.28.2012 , 05:21 PM | #17
To me, the best PvP is just spontaneous PvP out in the world and not designating a planet for Open World PvP or placing objectives in specific areas.

Fun open world PvP to me is just walking around doing your own thing, but you can be attacker or attack someone at any time. Which is how PvP servers are set up currently except the way the game is designed, you don't really run into the other faction much.

I definitely appreciate the fact that 1-50 for imps and reps are completely unique, but I think, we need some daily areas that cross over. I'm assuming the new Corellia daily area is going to be separated? Ideally I would like to see all daily areas from now on be the same for both republic and imperials and let us run into each other while doing quests.

Let PvP happen, don't force it.
Skeksis: Jedi Sage on Prophecy of the Five. P5 FTW!!!

Vahzl
03.28.2012 , 05:22 PM | #18
Is it really a good idea to begin moving towards this when the fundamentals your CURRENT players are asking for are not yet working?
Click here to visit my Videogames Review Site
@XtraLifeBastion <-- Follow me on Twitter!
"I stopped eating McDonalds last year, but this doesn't mean I should write them a tear filled letter telling them why I have done so, I just don't give them money and don't go into the restaurants"

grfu
03.28.2012 , 05:23 PM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by StephenReid View Post

He's a very busy man and has minions who can handle that task (ie, me).
Now that you've come to terms with being a minion, the healing can begin. We'll make an antagonist out of you yet.

Anbokr
03.28.2012 , 05:24 PM | #20
I don't see how throwing turrets or NPCs on the underdog side helps at all--that's almost impossible to balance around. Just cap faction populations in contested areas for the best possible balance and the most fun. As a player, I want to be able to kill other players without feeling cheated by some "NPC" or PvE/turret intervention. This is player vs player, my decisions vs his decisions, my skill level vs his skill level, my group vs the enemy group; don't throw in an element that tips the balance one way or another.