Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Feedback request from James Ohlen - Open World PvP

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
Feedback request from James Ohlen - Open World PvP

View Poll Results: What type of Open World PvP objectives would you most like to see?
'Raw' Open World 500 22.77%
PvPvE balanced 1,021 46.49%
Faction population capped 340 15.48%
Guild based (non-faction specific) 335 15.26%
Voters: 2196. You may not vote on this poll

Tomiz
03.29.2012 , 06:24 AM | #121
Quote: Originally Posted by xeenz View Post
I hate to say this, but the most fun I have ever had in a PvP match was Wintergrasp in WoW. You should take a look at that Bioware, and learn!
I'm sad to second this.
Are you Imperial? Then may the force strangle your neck!

Bafucin
03.29.2012 , 06:27 AM | #122
Quote: Originally Posted by Tomiz View Post
I'm sad to second this.
Me too!

Laurreth
03.29.2012 , 06:44 AM | #123
Quote: Originally Posted by StephenReid View Post

PvPvE balanced - bolstering the underdog faction through NPCs, turrets, etc. Factions claim objectives.
In a limited way, yes. This would boil down to variable-strength NPC defence forces I guess, which can work, but will be hell to balance and keep free of bugs and exploits (good ol' pullable guards from WAR will be back, and we will also see spurious mass-spawns and all other elements that made fortresses "fun"). Luckily we'll be spared doorhammer objectives, since there's no realistic way that an attacking force could take a well-defended chokepoint with the complete lack of area damage–and that's a good thing, keep it that way.

A mostly image-based system that lets guilds occupy and reinforce objectives would be welcome, but no overpowering defences should be possible. I think with today's game "community" the largest scale objectives could realistically scale to would be the equivalent to DAoC's towers bearing a guild banner (WTB) and a branded boss NPC.
Rüstige Rentner auf Jar'Kai Sword — schau einfach mal rein ☺
“I like how the whining about "censored" butts started instantly but it took 2 days for someone to notice the legs are also ****ed up” — rantboi

Hieroglyphics
03.29.2012 , 06:46 AM | #124
i agree with some posts, i am willing to do faction cap to fix any form of unbalanced numbers, which is base and spawn camping, is unfairness and not fun i rather just have 50 vs 50 ppl going at it in, raw brutal brawl battle and last man standing type thing in world pvp. Aswell as tactics of flanking and just chasing people all over the planet, of gank squading.

However, in SWG i loved how in succeeding in world PVP you were able to control planets, so factions would be able to have planets under there control and would have perks to whatever faction holds it. So that being said there would be an opportunity every few weeks, for the opposing faction to retake the planet while the other faction defends for the planet. I remember one of the perks was faction NPC's turrets and walkers and maybe a buff or so.

One of my guild mates was saying Bioware has all these beautiful planets with very nice textures but no one is on them and they are not populated, i am on helm of gurash and its a pretty heavy populated server and all planets except ilum have less than 10 ppl which is just a waste imo. He said his idea was to get players out of the Fleets, to go world pvp, like gaining PVP comms + valor based on the players valor rank that was defeated. so if my friend who is valor rank 85, he dies the person who got the killing blow gets a BM comm, and various other levels receive the other appropriate comms based on there valor rank.

Jaggins
03.29.2012 , 07:30 AM | #125
There wasn't a choice in the poll, but I would prefer server vs. server vs. server as an option, similar to the way GW2 is setting things up. This could be shuffled on a periodic basis to match against similar skill levels. You could also combine several servers together in each "world" to get the populations up. Making the conflict have 3 factions adds a nice dimension to the process. DAOC and Planetside both did this well. Since lore limits us to 2 factions, a WvWvW scenario may be easier to implement while maintaining a 3 faction dynamic. You could also go crazy and make a 5 faction conflict that allows some really bizarre emergent behavior!

Vizho
03.29.2012 , 07:39 AM | #126
I am quite torn between the "Raw" and "PvPvE" options that are currently listed.

While I most definitely want to see PvP in it's purest form, it will be next to impossible to implement given the faction imbalances. I also do not want to see any kind of population caps put in place for players, as it greatly reduces play time for anyone waiting in any sort of queue.

Can some type of fortresses be implemented, without some type of inevitable exploit? Absolutely not. As long as BW stays diligent in correcting these problems though, I do not see it posing to much of a problem.

Can a bolster affect be given to players of the faction with lower population numbers? Something that would increase their stats to compensate for being outnumbered 2 to 1. Something like that may be easier to implement over NPC's

Icysunx
03.29.2012 , 07:41 AM | #127
All these ideas in this forum are really great, except everyone who's not on the top 5 populated servers will never be able to experience any of it.

LillyWhiteS
03.29.2012 , 07:46 AM | #128
Quote: Originally Posted by AdamChattaway View Post
Can we please have Keep warfare like warhammer online where there ar emultiple keeps all over the maps where we can fight to capture and then defend and maybe kill a pve boss like warhammer online, this would give end game pvp a MASSIVE meaning and would be soo much fun, 24/7 open world pvp fighting for control of the keeps and fighting off sieges from the walls and using artillary to take down the door !!!
Only just saw this thread, anyway I agree with this post completely, it's been in my sig for a while now

Even though they got some things wrong, I also miss Warhammer PvP, as did some friends who already left TOR, WZ type PvP isn't enough, only unsubbed last night myself due to the same reason, but this thread is the first sign that maybe something will be done to big scale PvP that may bring some hope back, aswell as lost subs I suspect.

I am sure BW could learn from mistakes made and improve upon what Warhammer did.

The best community in a game I played was Warhammer ( Ironclaw server ), multiple warbands working for hours to achieve the objectives, even though the city raid reward could have been done better.

By having a working big scale PvP, it meant Warzone type PvP settled into the right place, secondary PvP and for variety, because they were not overplayed, you thus never got as bored of them, unfortunately that isn't the case in TOR as it's the only real PvP.

Warzones can't take the mantle as the main and sole PvP, need big scale PvP that last for hours and has real objectives to take and defend and a reason to do so and spend hours doing them.

Something like Warhammer with forts, maybe getting to raid a city for reward like Warhammer did, who knows, would be enough for me.

Also a little offtopic, but still PvP, a Warzone like an Alterac Valley, big map, much higher participant number and different objective type, would be very welcomed and help pass the time till world PvP was fixed.

Good communication with updates and feedback would also help.
Need a Variety of Warzone size/participants/objectives, something like an Alterac Valley.

Warhammer may have messed it up, but the idea of forts and the reward was sound, fix Ilum.

BlueBeard
03.29.2012 , 08:06 AM | #129
PvPvE is definitely the choice for me. The thing I dislike the most about Ilum PvP is that it has no purpose other than a giant zerg vs zerg fight to get some Valor. In order for that planet to be enjoyable again, it really needs to have some sort of fortress system, or something to that effect.

Also, having a city, fortress, or outpost somewhere in the game (not necessarily on Ilum) that attracts a high population, and has a large PvP area outside of one of it's gates (with a safe spawn area nearby) would be nice. The best open world PvP I have experienced in other MMO's has always taken place in areas that are easily accessible and that make new players want to try out PvP. When visiting Ilum, I find myself running into the exact same people who I regularly run into in Warzones. The new players that do visit the PvP area on Ilum don't seem to stay long since there's so much open space, and riding around looking for the action tends to do little more than get you killed. I personally went to the PvP area on Ilum shortly after reaching level 50 and didn't come back for over a month because I didn't see the point. The same can be said for the Outlaw's Den. It's a cool idea, but it's so far out of the way, and there is very little chance of new players stumbling upon it and witnessing a big PvP battle (and if they do, they will be auto-flagged and just die instantly anyway).

If open world PvP takes place in an area that is more accessible to players, and clearly visible to people who aren't regular PvPers (without forcing them to engage in the fight), it will attract more attention and be a lot more fun in the end. Watching some higher level players PvP at a city gate and thinking, "Cool! If I keep leveling up, I can get in on a fight like that someday!" is one of the things that originally got me really interested in MMO's.
Mmmm, Jawatouille.

Philosomanic
03.29.2012 , 08:09 AM | #130
Quote: Originally Posted by davebushe View Post
Is there any particular reason that James can't post himself? It seems a bit odd....
If he's posting, he's not developing. The fact that someone else is asking for and gathering feedback for him is a good thing, because that means he has more time to actually work on world PvP. And Stephen has shown a good record of actually communicating our feedback with the devs (see the post on world events), so I'm happy.
PvP Dacromir -- Vanguard -- Level 50 PvE
The Imp'Crusher Legacy
<Something Offensive>
The Bastion