Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Feedback request from James Ohlen - Open World PvP

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
Feedback request from James Ohlen - Open World PvP

View Poll Results: What type of Open World PvP objectives would you most like to see?
'Raw' Open World 500 22.77%
PvPvE balanced 1,021 46.49%
Faction population capped 340 15.48%
Guild based (non-faction specific) 335 15.26%
Voters: 2196. You may not vote on this poll

Nikei
03.29.2012 , 04:49 AM | #111
Quote:
'Raw' Open World - faction vs faction, with no faction population restriction mechanics AKA 'true' Open World PvP. Factions claim objectives.
Yuck. I'd think your own experiences with grotesquely mis-matched faction sizes will do more to put this (wretched) option off the table than any poll, but I'm still here to say it out loud: the only thing worse that advancement by RNG, is advancement by population imbalance.

Quote:
PvPvE balanced - bolstering the underdog faction through NPCs, turrets, etc. Factions claim objectives.
Played a fair bit of this style in LotRO, and on the whole its pretty sad and annoying. 3 guys hunkered under a pack of friendly elites while 39 enemies plink at them but refuse to commit to any sort of real attack does not exciting gameplay make. I like intereactive environment bits, but as a balancing mechanism for advancement by population imbalance... it still stinks.

Quote:
Faction population capped - strict balancing in place between faction populations in objective areas. Factions claim objectives.
I'm unfamiliar with previous examples of this, but I'd be willing to try it out. In much the same fashion that warzones brought me to advance two characters to battlemaster when I rarely PvP at all in other MMOs. I don't mind having 4 people pile on me when I know that it's freed up 3 of my teammates to get the job done elsewhere.

Quote:
Guild based - everyone is your enemy except players in your guild. Guilds claim objectives.
I despise anything that gives direct advancement advantage to mega-guilds. Advancement by population balance by a different name. I preffer to opperate in guilds smaller than 20: these are people I know, people I go over and have dinner with in person once in awhile. This means I shouldn't play in the new sandbox at all? Kay...

Tomiz
03.29.2012 , 04:49 AM | #112
I would like to reply to anyone saying that the only way to get a balanced PvP is the guild vs guild system.

I would like to point out, that by "guild vs. guild", the only thing you manage to do is getting 2 - 4 overpowered guilds, and the rest of the server licking their boots or joining them. It's basically RAW-PvP with few changes here and there, but with more people standing on the "overnumbered side".

PvPvE is balanced by definition, you can #1 Make points easier/harder to capture, and #2 you have Enviroment weakening the winning side (while not completely ignoring losing side).
Are you Imperial? Then may the force strangle your neck!

xeenz
03.29.2012 , 04:56 AM | #113
Voted for PvPvE. I think that will bring the most fun.

I hate to say this, but the most fun I have ever had in a PvP match was Wintergrasp in WoW. You should take a look at that Bioware, and learn!

Lord_Karsk
03.29.2012 , 05:03 AM | #114
It's like this. Look to GW2 WvWvW = winning.

AdamChattaway
03.29.2012 , 05:16 AM | #115
Can we please have Keep warfare like warhammer online where there ar emultiple keeps all over the maps where we can fight to capture and then defend and maybe kill a pve boss like warhammer online, this would give end game pvp a MASSIVE meaning and would be soo much fun, 24/7 open world pvp fighting for control of the keeps and fighting off sieges from the walls and using artillary to take down the door !!!

Lightning_
03.29.2012 , 05:18 AM | #116
Signed for this vision:
http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=234156

The author put in great amount of work, please take a look at least.

Xelrond
03.29.2012 , 05:19 AM | #117
Now im not flaming Bioware or anything like that, so far im very happy with my time in game. However, i feel that in order to be worrying more about which type of world PvP we participate in we need bodies on servers, which im sure you are aware is a huge issue at the moment. Im on Ven Zallow and half the time im lucky if we have 15 people on Alderaan and it just decreases more and more the higher level you get. So although i voted for PvPvE because i think thats something that will work at all times of the day regardless of population, I believe figuring out what to do with servers should be a main priority.

goatfoam
03.29.2012 , 05:43 AM | #118
"True Open World" doesn't work in faction based games. It works great in truly open world sandbox games, but as soon as you introduce factions you introduce imbalance, which is a major problem and has been for years. You can get some semblance of order by introducing a third faction but that's obviously a tonne of work and doesn't always help (my DAoC server had nobody RvRing on Midgard and only a few on Albion).

PvPvE with balancing mechanics works much better, whether through extra NPC support or a Tenacity style buff, but it's still far from perfect and really, really hard to balance.

Faction population capped is very difficult to balance - the faction with the over population will have a hard time getting games and the underdogs will still suffer from games where they don't reach the cap (we see this in Voidstar and Alderaan already - it's rare we start with a full team on my server). Besides which, it just becomes another Warzone - just make another Warzone if you're going down this route.

Guild based could be very interesting, but I think it would be very limiting if it was based solely around guilds. I don't always pvp with my guild, for instance - I have friends I play with regularly in other guilds.

Honestly, being a hotbar MMO you're very limited in what's going to be fresh. Even GW2 is restricted by the fact that it's based around putting out numbers rather than skill, and that's looking like the most interesting PvP the genre has to offer so far. You could look in their direction for some guidance but at the end of the day hotbar PvP just isn't all that fun after a while because you peak far too quickly in terms of challenge. Maybe look at bringing in some X-Wing vs TIE Fighter style space combat!

MaubeeEiko
03.29.2012 , 05:46 AM | #119
This game needs a "Daoc style" of factional open pvp area with objecdtives.

You could put an instance off each home world, Curascant and Drummond Kass, that the enemy can attack. Think of bases with NPC bosses and relics(objectives) to capture and bring back to the opposing bases.

When a faction captures the enemies (relics/leaders/objective) the faction gets a buff. Like plus 5 or 10 percent to looted coin, XP, legacy points, social etc etc.

Good god man.......give us a 'Real' reason to pvp instead of another tired gear grind for personal gain.

Kiora
03.29.2012 , 05:47 AM | #120
play DAoC for very good PvP.

all the ideas are crap here