Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Reasons why it is hard to roleplay effectively in SWTOR

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Community Content > Roleplaying
Reasons why it is hard to roleplay effectively in SWTOR

Jovanna
04.01.2012 , 07:00 PM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by CosmicKat View Post
I agree.

However they have messed up some obvious things that just shouldn't happen in 2012. No chair sitting? A /say range that is at least double the range of any other MMO I've played? A UI that I can't move around?

A lot of the 'issues' with RP are issues with everyone and they do seem to be a lot more easy to fix or tweak than some of the major things they are implementing.

How long could it possibly take a programmer to halve or quarter the /say range? It would make a huge difference for RPers, or anyone else who doesn't want to be bombarded by the text from half the space station.
The say range is the same as Rift. Otherwise the game is massive and has growing pains, things they are already working on. It's easy to complain and wonder why things are taking so long when you aren't actually doing any of the work. Give them time. They'll come through. =)
"It's gonna be one hell of a dogfight". - Sarah Connor, the Sarah Connor Chronicles

"Shall I blast him now, Master?" - HK-47, Knights of the Old Republic

SweetNausea
04.01.2012 , 10:45 PM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by Jovanna View Post
If you're an RPer you use your imagination to compensate for any perceived flaw and that's the end of it.
No amount of imagination will make the truly epic /say distance any less annoying or frustrating.

Guildrum
04.02.2012 , 08:17 AM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by SweetNausea View Post
No amount of imagination will make the truly epic /say distance any less annoying or frustrating.
Yes, but it can still be ignored. Learning to ignore things you do not want to hear is probably one of the most useful things in the world. I really do think people are making a mountain out of a molehill in this instance.

Listerman
04.02.2012 , 08:38 AM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by CosmicKat View Post
I agree.

However they have messed up some obvious things that just shouldn't happen in 2012. No chair sitting? A /say range that is at least double the range of any other MMO I've played? A UI that I can't move around?

A lot of the 'issues' with RP are issues with everyone and they do seem to be a lot more easy to fix or tweak than some of the major things they are implementing.

How long could it possibly take a programmer to halve or quarter the /say range? It would make a huge difference for RPers, or anyone else who doesn't want to be bombarded by the text from half the space station.
I can't disagree with you on that. It's the primary flaws...
Sitting is a joke...
You can hear people from the far corner, which makes crowded areas hell to keep up with...
And heaven forbid my crew skill window gets in the way of the chatbox and won't let me type till I get rid of it.

These can be simple fixes, for sure, but I understand a developer can't do so if he's expected to be working on other things. A job is a job.

For the time being, the system is functional, if not inelegant. But I am patient enough to watch as things evolve and get perfected. Even a game like World of Warcraft didn't spring forward fully formed as it is now. And perfection is a thing that does not exist in video games.
"Never touch a Kel Dor's sammich."
"We're on a message board together. I'm already inclined to think you're a schmuck."

Sylvan
04.02.2012 , 08:46 AM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by Guildrum View Post
Yes, but it can still be ignored. Learning to ignore things you do not want to hear is probably one of the most useful things in the world. I really do think people are making a mountain out of a molehill in this instance.
You know what else gets ignored with the massive amounts of text the /say distance can "gift" us all? Our friends typing.

I can ignore features I don't approve of, like mini pets and Jedi in Slave outfits (looks good, doesn't make sense) but if I want to pay attention to a roleplay situation how can I then ignore the very text being used to roleplay?

They need to put a sliding bar in chat options to fix this.
Jen'doon............Harkal Moravian

Guildrum
04.02.2012 , 09:13 AM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by Sylvan View Post
You know what else gets ignored with the massive amounts of text the /say distance can "gift" us all? Our friends typing.

I can ignore features I don't approve of, like mini pets and Jedi in Slave outfits (looks good, doesn't make sense) but if I want to pay attention to a roleplay situation how can I then ignore the very text being used to roleplay?

They need to put a sliding bar in chat options to fix this.
I understand what you are saying and agree, /say can be toned down a bit. Sure, it works for open world RP where you probably aren't going to be right next to your friend 24/7, but it can get annoying. But as I have said, it can be worked around, maybe we could use a system that it colors a specific person's text, so that it's easier to catch someone's chat during a conversation-storm, at least until they fix the /say range.

Sendra
04.02.2012 , 01:55 PM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by Guildrum View Post
I understand what you are saying and agree, /say can be toned down a bit. Sure, it works for open world RP where you probably aren't going to be right next to your friend 24/7, but it can get annoying. But as I have said, it can be worked around, maybe we could use a system that it colors a specific person's text, so that it's easier to catch someone's chat during a conversation-storm, at least until they fix the /say range.
We do not have the ability to configure chat by speaker - only by channel.

Changing the say range would be MUCH easier for them to implement than something that sophisticated.

Chat bubbles would probably be easier too, since it's mostly done, but they had to remove it until they can fix some performance issues.

Edit: Adding a few more thoughts on the same post.

You say "it can be worked around" - but the problem is, it can't. That's why it's such a priority.

- We can change the color of /say text (which I and many others have done) so that it's easier to distinguish from the other white text (such as General).

- We can create a separate RP tab for just /say, and whisper - and emotes if necessary but I can't remember offhand if it's a separate channel or not. Again, something some of us have already done

Those things are not the problem, they are useful to separate say from other channels, but the root of the problem is still that there is too much text - from all around, in just the say channel, in a single small chat window.

Funny but back in Age of Conan we complained that the say range was too small. It could have been a little bigger for sure, but one thing the small size allowed was to move about 20' (honestly not sure what the actual ranges were) away from others and be out of range so their say no longer showed up in your window. You could actually focus on the text of the people in your immediate group as well as anyone who was nearby.
Sendira - Sage Valdra Senn/Val-dra Senn - Scoundrel/Mercenary
Lord Adraas RP server
Proud Member of The Loose Canon Cartel: Together, we will rule the RP servers with the iron fist of flexibility and the jackboot of inclusiveness.

Dolcia
04.02.2012 , 03:37 PM | #28
To those saying patience and imagination in the meantime, I fully agree. Then again, I also come from a text-based RP background. It is great to give feedback, don't get me wrong, but I think we have to remember that Rome wasn't built in a day. I also think I am hopeful for the future of SWTOR RP because, in my opinion, they did a great job of addressing and acknowledging the concerns of the RP community at the guild summit. Many of the OPs concerns are already being addressed and, in some cases, resolved. Stay optimistic, RPers!
Evil is a word used by the ignorant and the weak. The dark side is about survival. It's about unleashing your inner power. It glorifies the strength of the individual.

Gyat
04.02.2012 , 04:30 PM | #29
I agree with most, if not all, points here, especially the urging of patience. I think a large issue is that there are alot of us that come from WoW and the immortal SWG. Both games are liked by the masses, including rpers and in SWG's case it allowed the players to make their own content and what not (but had it's flaws as well). The transition from those fully evolved MMO's to this one can be a bit staggering, but not impossible to adapt to . Basically find a way to cope, explore other places to rp, heck I love exploring in MMO's and although there isn't much for me to explore in TOR (compared to SWG's open world maps) I like it, alot of the scenery is breath taking. Although I was a bit saddend when I found there were no underground caverns on Hoth, but at least we got a few caves, want more to explore though :P.

P.S. Good to see you're still lurking on the forums Jen'doon , it's me the Az man :3. I'm looking forward to 1.2 and the possible expansion pack with a few new races .
The Temple Defenders
Ebon Hawk
Cpt. Kael Ullan Aureav "Commander Korvik" C.O. of Temple

Kharnis
04.02.2012 , 04:43 PM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by Listerman View Post
For the time being, the system is functional, if not inelegant.
Personally, I think this summed the situation up the best. The system, as is, still allows us to RP. It's clunky, it's inelegant, and it definitely can use some work, but it's not preventing us from RPing with anyone at any time in any place. For now, it requires us to do more work than we're used to from other games. Give it some time, and if in a few more months there's not only no improvement to the situation, but no signs of any improvement coming, then we can start to raise our voices in complaint.

Bioware has heard us, and they're aware of our wants and needs. Now, we wait to see if they'll follow through for us.
Proud member of "The Loose Canons" Cartel.
Fan Fics
Completed:
Ongoing: