Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Reasons why it is hard to roleplay effectively in SWTOR

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Community Content > Roleplaying
Reasons why it is hard to roleplay effectively in SWTOR

Sylvan
03.28.2012 , 11:24 AM | #1
I won't waste time, numbered points.

1. Emotes still repeat over and over. They fixed one a few patches ago, MANY MORE stil do this and given how long this has been the case, it's appalling.

2. Text reading distance is sooo over the top, my toon can "hear" (read) the words of people in whole other rooms, or across massive cantina spaces. This also makes large roleplay events a speed reading contest. An option to limit it would be super.

3. No player biographies people can inspect and read (in the same way we inspect gear). This is a huge let down, and something I've seen in virtually every other MMO that does support roleplay. I want people to know certain things about my character, like tone of voice etc etc.

4. Custom emotes can't be seen by opposing faction players. No reason for this at all. If you are close enough to read an emote, you're close enough to read their /say chat so any suggestion it could be used to insult people is moot.

5. Lack of emotes that support being social outside of battle situations. Things like /drink or /handshake or /smoke or /read, along with actual animations. It is always the little things that add to atmosphere.

6. Lack of /mood commands to alter how our characters say things. Even a simple emotion like /mood angry , which would change a sentence like "Jen'doon says : I'll see you later, buddy" into "Jen'doon says angrily : I'll see you later, buddy". Again, these are small points that add up to greater immersion.

I am honestly at a loss as to why Bioware even bothered to give us roleplay servers when very little in their game actively supports roleplay. It is very clear from the changes that HAVEN'T been made since the game went live that the wishes of the roleplaying community is right at the bottom of the pile for them, importance wise. I get bugs and content updates are important for everyone, and I also understand the roleplaying community is a minority in SWTOR, but still many of these ideas have been requested since before launch.
Jen'doon............Harkal Moravian

SlyBandit
03.28.2012 , 11:26 AM | #2
They are adding tons of new emotes in 1.2 for companions, players ect. Such as kissing and other emotes.

Sylvan
03.28.2012 , 11:34 AM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by SlyBandit View Post
They are adding tons of new emotes in 1.2 for companions, players ect. Such as kissing and other emotes.
I don't know anyone who roleplays with their companions. Most serious roleplayers I know actually always put their companions away to roleplay, because they can't speak or contribute.

I'd rather they add new emotes for players to use with players.

avariambush
03.28.2012 , 11:50 AM | #4
I love Bioware but long ago they moved away from things that helped free form roleplay and moved heavily in the direction of railroaded "choose your own adventure" as a definition of roleplay. RP with your companion? ***?

I can only hope they one day see the error of their ways.
Khamas-Rim / Cyborg Spacer Scum Ban'ki-Moon / Chissploitation Action Hero
Dhizaan / Just another Jedi Vyktima / To pity or not to pity
Lord Ardraas RP server

Guildrum
03.28.2012 , 11:57 AM | #5
Quote:
1. Emotes still repeat over and over. They fixed one a few patches ago, MANY MORE stil do this and given how long this has been the case, it's appalling.
Such strong words used over such a small issue. Yes, it's annoying, but all you have to do is tap one of the WSDA keys after the first loop...

Quote:
2. Text reading distance is sooo over the top, my toon can "hear" (read) the words of people in whole other rooms, or across massive cantina spaces. This also makes large roleplay events a speed reading contest. An option to limit it would be super.
Agreed.

Quote:
3. No player biographies people can inspect and read (in the same way we inspect gear). This is a huge let down, and something I've seen in virtually every other MMO that does support roleplay. I want people to know certain things about my character, like tone of voice etc etc.
Sure, it'd be nice, but not totally necessary. It's just extra details to add to your emotes.

Quote:
4. Custom emotes can't be seen by opposing faction players. No reason for this at all. If you are close enough to read an emote, you're close enough to read their /say chat so any suggestion it could be used to insult people is moot.
It's a silly oversight on Bioware's part, and it is frustrating for cross-faction RP. I have just decided to just use *blah blah blah* until this is fixed.

Quote:
5. Lack of emotes that support being social outside of battle situations. Things like /drink or /handshake or /smoke or /read, along with actual animations. It is always the little things that add to atmosphere.
Really? I feel like this game has more of those social animations than most other ones. Sure, /read and /smoke and /handshake would be cool, but really, are they entirely necessary when a /e (or a * *) could be equally effective?

Quote:
6. Lack of /mood commands to alter how our characters say things. Even a simple emotion like /mood angry , which would change a sentence like "Jen'doon says : I'll see you later, buddy" into "Jen'doon says angrily : I'll see you later, buddy". Again, these are small points that add up to greater immersion.
Never actually heard of this in any game. It would be cool to use, but as I said before, a /e or a * * could work just as well.

Quote:
I don't know anyone who roleplays with their companions. Most serious roleplayers I know actually always put their companions away to roleplay, because they can't speak or contribute.

I'd rather they add new emotes for players to use with players.
Companions are good for occasional use, for example, I can put Corso Riggs in a lot of armor and a little-used customization, and he can be used to give some sort of a military debrief that my Smuggler would be otherwise unable to give. Sure, I don't carry them along to cantina RPs except for specific events, but they can be useful.
The Shaffer Legacy: Begeren Colony

Shaffer Lazy-eye Horace Sleth
Journalist, Pirate Bodyguard Sith

SelinaH
03.28.2012 , 12:46 PM | #6
I miss chat bubbles, player biographies and the sheer variety of emotes found in some other games.

Chat bubbles combined with a less intrusive /say radius would make it much easier for me to manage chatscroll during large events or in crowded spaces.

I find the bio blurb especially helpful for letting others know something about a character that wouldn't necessarily come out in emotes (posture, vocal range, visual cues such as additional scars, wounds or birthmarks).

The *one* sit emote we get makes things a bit ridiculous when you have a group of people all sitting around, all in the same somewhat awkward-looking position - a few variations would be nice. Also, I so miss my wall lean.

Right now my biggest complaint is probably cross-faction communication. The inability to even send tells makes it impossible for shady business deals or plans for a sneaky double-cross to be discussed without *everyone* in the room (and probably some ways down the hall) hearing about it.

Sendra
03.28.2012 , 03:24 PM | #7
Most of the issues in the OP would be nice if they existed or worked right, but are easily worked around.

In my opinion, the major issues that make RP much harder than it ought to be are:

1. The ridiculous say range. I have never used chat bubbles because I found them distracting, and usually just move my small group out of say range of other groups so that we can converse among ourselves. Unless I deliberately want to be within say range (which was often the case too) to overhear them, or to allow them to overhear us. So cut down on the say range, have yell available for a "raised voice" larger range, and I think the chat bubble issues are reduced. (Not saying avoided, I can see how people have gotten used to them and they are useful - but their absence will be less painful.)

2. Standing around like statues for RP is a big killer issue for me. A few changes of position and posture would be HUGE. I type out most gestures in RP so the animated ones are cool, but less of a problem. But we need to change position or posture. We need to be able to sit ON rather than THROUGH a chair. It's fine with me if we jump on top of it and use a sit command. Give us a reasonable posture (or a couple of choices - an exhausted casual sprawl and a more normal sit, even with legs folded under or cross-legged). A lean would be outstanding! A back or side wall lean.

3. A few more enterable buildings so that we can RP private meetings and not be standing around silently (speaking in guild chat) in the market or cantina. Enterable buildings of a few different styles, combined with a more reasonable say range so that the people outside - or across the planet - don't hear our discussion, would go a long way to help RP.

Edit to add:
3a. I suggested this pre-launch after I got to check out beta and I'll suggest it again. It ought to be fairly easy to implement sometime between now and whenever they get around to working on guild ships. An instanced wing on each fleet station, that an operations group can enter. The area could contain rooms of various types, a lounge area, conference room, office, control room, lab, med center, storeroom, and even private quarters. Groups could use it - even multiple groups at the same time since it's instanced, each RPing the space as something specific to them.
Sendira - Sage Valdra Senn/Val-dra Senn - Scoundrel/Mercenary
Lord Adraas RP server
Proud Member of The Loose Canon Cartel: Together, we will rule the RP servers with the iron fist of flexibility and the jackboot of inclusiveness.

Renarkis
03.28.2012 , 06:13 PM | #8
I agree on some level with most of the points brought up in this thread, but especially I think we need more options for cross-faction communication and a wider range of posture emotes. Even something as simple as a /chairsit and /walllean emote would go a long way towards improving my level of immersion.

The issue of the /say range is a big one, too. Something like a /whisper or /mutter channel for a much reduced chat radius would be great.

Sylvan
03.28.2012 , 07:02 PM | #9
Excellent idea there Sendra, to expand on the emotes we can use whilst typing that give our character's more life.

Things like

/pace

Which would make your character pace a few steps back and forward, always fun for speeches etc.

/crossarms

Good for listening to missions details or a "likely" story.

/atease

This would place your toon with their hands clasped behind their backs, legs sightly apart in a listening observant pose.

/wounded

doubled over, clutching a stomach wound.

/unconscious

sprawled out on the floor. Very useful for RP.

/researchdata

This would be different for each class. For Jedi and Sith, they'd pull a holocron out and study it, with little light effects and a tiny holographic image of a master. For bounty hunters and troopers, it would be a wrist mounted news feed, for smugglers and operatives a datapad.

SelinaH
03.28.2012 , 07:25 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Sylvan View Post
/wounded

doubled over, clutching a stomach wound.
It will, of course, be in the left ribs. It is *always* in the left ribs.