Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

madness roation for pvp

toshman
03.28.2012 , 09:31 AM | #1
what is the madness rotation like for pvp or pve for that matter?

is it deathfield, light charge, thrash, raze proc, shock

not sure where to go from there? additional thrash or what.....

mrHaterade
03.28.2012 , 09:47 AM | #2
Its not so much a rotation since you basically keep dots on your focus and apply more to other targets for the healing and interference. The most common "opener" for me at least is:

1. Death Field
2. Discharge
3. Creeping Terror
4. Thrash
5. Raze?

Yes
6. Crushing Darkness
7. Shock

No
6. Thrash
7. Goto 5

From there it's totally situational. Are they low health? Assassinate them. Are they running and did Exploit Weakness proc? Maul them. Are there other enemies around? Dot them too.

russyb
03.28.2012 , 09:56 AM | #3
Yeah Agreed with Haterade - Pretty much exactly the same rotation as me, sometimes i throw in shock if they're hitting me hard, and if possible force whirlwind as it grants 2 seconds incapacitation after they're knocked out of it.

BUT - If I have the opportunity to stealth I always go in with spike then straight into the rotation.

I always look to stun using spike, whirlwind or shock at least once to give me a few extra seconds or to get behind them with maul if exploit weakness pops.
"Bow ties are cool..."

mrHaterade
03.28.2012 , 10:32 AM | #4
You know, I never use Spike. I usually save it to drop someone planting/defusing the bomb or taking the turret. I never even considered using it as an opening. Thanks, I'll have to remember that.

But yeah, "situational" is the key with Madness isn't? Like if my Assassinate failed to drop them and they run I'll use Shock to finish the job before they can get out of range. Sometimes I'll need to force dump so I'll Overload -> Lightning to mix it up a bit. That's why I like Madness so much. There are so many paths to the end of a fight, you just have to find the fastest one for each situation.

monkgryphon
03.28.2012 , 03:48 PM | #5
I'd throw shock in there before any melee, as it buffs your melee damage while you're trying to get Raze.

mrHaterade
03.29.2012 , 12:34 AM | #6
Right, but if you go Death Field -> Discharge -> Creeping Terror -> Shock you're out of juice so you can't Thrash anyway. Plus, I like to get Crushing Darkness up before Unearthed Knowledge. Just a personal thing, I guess.

Ushela
03.29.2012 , 02:47 AM | #7
Its been proven dps is increased if shock is REMOVED from the rotation. Shock does not belong in the rotation.

Edit: I just noticed this thread was for PVP. The above statement relates to PVE!

Ihazcrayon
03.29.2012 , 03:10 AM | #8
From my experiences in PVP madness is more of a priority system and not a set rotation. I almost always use shock after a deathfield or discharge/creeping terror (depending on target distance) cuz it helps make the backloading of damage. Meaning it helps you later when you use thrash or maul (on a maul proc spec) with the melee damage buff. 10% may not seem huge but its alot after crit and surge is added into the mix.
Cap'n-Planet 50 Pyrotech Merc - The Crucible Pits, 50 Marksman Sniper, 50 Carnage Marauder, 50 Madness Assassin

russyb
03.29.2012 , 05:50 AM | #9
I usually favour opening with spike if I'm up against a tank and a few extra seconds of dps might be necessary.

Regarding shock - I always use it in my rotation but i've heard from quite a few sources (i.e. assassin guides and forum posts) that it shouldn't be included in the rotation because its not cost-effective.

Personally although it does use alot of FP I like to use it after putting my DoT's on a target so I can do some burst damage too. I've heard thrash should be used over shock as its more cost effective.

Maybe training dummies in 1.2 will help is figure this out
"Bow ties are cool..."

jbuschell
03.29.2012 , 05:54 AM | #10
Balance shadow here but my rotation is (using your terms)

Death field
Discharge
Creeping Terror
Shock to get unearthed knowledge up
Thrash
Crushing darkness when I get a raze proc
And if dots are up, death field is on cd and you have no procs and unearthed knowledge is up then thrash to your hearts content, I'm 10/0/31 so I never use maul, never

I generally pop recklessness an adrenal and a relic at this point with a deathfield and a shock and put out some sick burst.

I also use my creeping terror more as a root then a dot.

Madness sin and balance shadow is fun as hell, don't cave and go darkness

Edit: we dont have affliction
E-Thuggin since 1987