Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Qui-Gon Jinn: How Pure Is He Really?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > STAR WARS Discussion
Qui-Gon Jinn: How Pure Is He Really?

Datamonger
03.27.2012 , 03:33 PM | #1
So each time I watch through Episode I, I notice more and more how Qui-Gon is a rebel to the Jedi way. I'll notice one more example of how he lied, cheated, or disobeyed a direct order from the Council. It's not very obvious, because he is still a Jedi and on the side of good, but he does have his dark moments. I think it's very interesting, and even somewhat amusing.

VanorDM
03.27.2012 , 03:37 PM | #2
Quote: Originally Posted by Datamonger View Post
So each time I watch through Episode I, I notice more and more how Qui-Gon is a rebel to the Jedi way.
Qui-Gon questioned the Council and did what he felt the Force wanted him to do, regardless of what the Council said.

However the Light Side doesn't mean blind obedience to the Council. Acting according to what the Force tells him, even if it means going against the Council is not a act of the Dark Side. If anything doing what they told him to do, despite what he feels the Force tells him would be more likely to be a dark side action.

Restepor
03.27.2012 , 04:35 PM | #3
Qui-Gon, apprentice of Count Dooku, questioned the Jedi a lot. Due to his training with Count Dooku, who left the order as a gray jedi, was very much like his master. He listened to the force over the masters and did what he thought was right.

So really, he was more "pure" than the rest. He did what the force told him to do, not the masters.

Toonimator
03.27.2012 , 05:45 PM | #4
Funny that Qui-Gon is sometimes considered a 'gray Jedi' because he puts the Force above the Council... By the time of the LEGACY comics, Luke's 'New Jedi Order' tends to go with Qui-Gon's example, putting the Force above the governments. They consider the Imperial Knights to be 'gray Jedi' because the IKs serve the Emperor first, the Force second, though--like Qui-Gon--they're still firmly on the light side. They just scowl a lot more.

lcemaster
03.27.2012 , 05:53 PM | #5
I would say Qui-gon is extremely pure. I mean, he is a force ghost and isn't the only way to become that is to love and be open to the force?

PurpleMagick
03.27.2012 , 06:01 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Toonimator View Post
Funny that Qui-Gon is sometimes considered a 'gray Jedi' because he puts the Force above the Council... By the time of the LEGACY comics, Luke's 'New Jedi Order' tends to go with Qui-Gon's example, putting the Force above the governments. They consider the Imperial Knights to be 'gray Jedi' because the IKs serve the Emperor first, the Force second, though--like Qui-Gon--they're still firmly on the light side. They just scowl a lot more.
Not really.
The Imperial Knights were considered gray by the Jedi because, while they followed the light side and not the dark, they considered the Force to be merely a tool. A weapon and nothing more. They had no mystical leanings whatsoever and spent zero time in meditation or contemplation.
It didn't have anything to do with their allegiance to the emperor.

Toonimator
03.27.2012 , 06:11 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by PurpleMagick View Post
It didn't have anything to do with their allegiance to the emperor.
From Wookieepedia:

"Despite not drawing on the dark side, the Imperial Knights were said to not strictly follow the light side either, obeying the orders of the Emperor before anything else. As such, the Jedi viewed the Imperial Knights as "gray". The Imperial Knights were also considered Gray Jedi by the Jedi Order due to the Jedi's belief that they did not truly follow the way of the Force."

They served the Force as embodied in the Emperor, rather than the Force itself, so their allegiance to the Emperor DOES have to do with their being viewed as Gray by the Jedi Order.

AzureJet
03.27.2012 , 08:03 PM | #8
I'm probably going to sound a bit too geeked out about this, but having read the Jedi Apprentice books when I was younger I can say that there are great examples in Qui-Gon's past of how he is very much a rebel. I am glad that people just don't see this one dimensional character that was in the first film only.

DarkCelestial
03.27.2012 , 08:21 PM | #9
Qui-Gon was what the jedi order should have been.
"I fight for the future…and the future is NOW!"

Captain_Zone
03.27.2012 , 08:40 PM | #10
Qui Gon was also a rebel since he had a romantic relationship with another Knight. Definitely a nono, there.
. OPOD
Shivalka: Darth Baras is quite large, isn't he?
Joran Karn: You, my dear Sith, have just mastered the art of understatement.