Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

A third force-user discipline: Gray side?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > STAR WARS Discussion
A third force-user discipline: Gray side?

Aximand
03.31.2012 , 01:33 PM | #41
Quote: Originally Posted by maxetius View Post
This whole C-Canon and G-Canon thing is tiresome. It's all written and part of the same universe. People need to learn to start coming up with compromises that use everything as a whole rather than dismissing things as 'lesser canon.' To not compromise and pick and choose what is true is way too similar to religious fundamentalists.
The thing about this is the Canon system is set up to be as uncompromising as possible so you don't end up in a Star Trek situation with a ton of alternate realities. There's only one alternate reality in the Star Wars continuity, and that's made up of the stuff that takes place before, after and during the movies that isn't G-Canon.

Its like this, George Lucas considers the movies (and increasingly TCW TV show) to be it, and nothing else. The books, games and comics (and technically TCW) that take place all happened, they just happened in a different "universe" than the movies. As far as the G-Canon universe is concerned, the series ended with the movies, Luke is the last of the Jedi and Palps never returned as a clone yadda yadda yadda. This allows for a very strict system of continuity to be in place with is both a huge strength and pretty large weakness as far as Canon goes because it allows a very narrow interpretation.
I'm not mean, you're just a sissy.
The Orange Pixel is the REAL Sith Emperor
I don't need luck, I've got ammo - Urdnot Grunt
Remember 4/22/2011. A day that shall live in infamy.

Aurbere
03.31.2012 , 01:46 PM | #42
Quote: Originally Posted by Aximand View Post
The thing about this is the Canon system is set up to be as uncompromising as possible so you don't end up in a Star Trek situation with a ton of alternate realities. There's only one alternate reality in the Star Wars continuity, and that's made up of the stuff that takes place before, after and during the movies that isn't G-Canon.

Its like this, George Lucas considers the movies (and increasingly TCW TV show) to be it, and nothing else. The books, games and comics (and technically TCW) that take place all happened, they just happened in a different "universe" than the movies. As far as the G-Canon universe is concerned, the series ended with the movies, Luke is the last of the Jedi and Palps never returned as a clone yadda yadda yadda. This allows for a very strict system of continuity to be in place with is both a huge strength and pretty large weakness as far as Canon goes because it allows a very narrow interpretation.
Exactly. You sir are correct.

A clone of Palpatine completely ruined the end of ROTJ and the whole Star Wars saga.

Captain_Zone
03.31.2012 , 03:03 PM | #43
Quote: Originally Posted by kairutk View Post
What i was trying to get over is it really depends on how BIOWARE wants to take the term grey. because there is grey in an MMO term which is neither good or bad. however in starwars terms that would be a force user who dosent ally themselves with wither jedi or sith.

either one would be implemented the same way but it all comes down to a "certain point of view"
Ok, let my clarify my previous statement as far as TOR goes. If you want to run your Jedi grey here, you can still be light side, but you will have to make Dark Side choices as well if they're more practical than the Light Side decisions. Personally, I went with the WWKD philosophy when running my Knight.
. OPOD
Shivalka: Darth Baras is quite large, isn't he?
Joran Karn: You, my dear Sith, have just mastered the art of understatement.

PeRgE
03.31.2012 , 03:18 PM | #44
"There is no room for compromise. We walk the path of the light side, or we fall into darkness. There is no gray area, Ben."
~ Jedi Grand Master Luke Skywalker (P. 187 FotJ, Book II: Omen)

*Taken from ProfessorWalsh's signature*
"The so-called gray Jedi have been with us since the beginning. Although they do not break with the Jedi orthodoxy concerning the dark side, they bristle when asked to take orders from the Council. Gray Jedi make compromises, cut corners, and hide their actions from scrutiny, all under the assumption that their experience makes them authorities on policy. They are mavericks who are difficult to control, but can be valued members of the Order after they have been persuaded to follow the established hierarchy."
―Restelly Quist, Jedi Chief Librarian following the New Sith Wars

A definition for "true Gray Jedi" that appeared in the Jedi Academy Training Manual described them as those who did not belong to any Force-based organization and who explored both the light and the dark sides of the Force without becoming corrupted by the dark side. Despite this, it was also stated in the Jedi Academy Training Manual that the New Jedi Order considered the entire Force tradition of the Jensaarai to be Gray. Additionally, the Imperial Knights were confirmed to have been considered as Gray by the New Jedi Order in Star Wars: Legacy 0 and Star Wars: Legacy 0, and the Voss Mystics were verified to have been Gray in the "Creating Worlds"
Your soul is oftentimes a battlefield, upon which your reason and your judgment wage war against passion and your appetite.

Aximand
03.31.2012 , 06:22 PM | #45
Quote: Originally Posted by PeRgE View Post
"The so-called gray Jedi have been with us since the beginning. Although they do not break with the Jedi orthodoxy concerning the dark side, they bristle when asked to take orders from the Council. Gray Jedi make compromises, cut corners, and hide their actions from scrutiny, all under the assumption that their experience makes them authorities on policy. They are mavericks who are difficult to control, but can be valued members of the Order after they have been persuaded to follow the established hierarchy."
―Restelly Quist, Jedi Chief Librarian following the New Sith Wars

A definition for "true Gray Jedi" that appeared in the Jedi Academy Training Manual described them as those who did not belong to any Force-based organization and who explored both the light and the dark sides of the Force without becoming corrupted by the dark side. Despite this, it was also stated in the Jedi Academy Training Manual that the New Jedi Order considered the entire Force tradition of the Jensaarai to be Gray. Additionally, the Imperial Knights were confirmed to have been considered as Gray by the New Jedi Order in Star Wars: Legacy 0 and Star Wars: Legacy 0, and the Voss Mystics were verified to have been Gray in the "Creating Worlds"
There's no Gray area as far as The Force is concerned. The official "Gray Jedi" (as in non-Fanon) definition is Jedi who disagree with the council but are still completely Light Sided. Luke is right in that there is no gray area where The Force is concerned, you either use the Light Side or the Dark Side, its impossible to use them both at the same time.
I'm not mean, you're just a sissy.
The Orange Pixel is the REAL Sith Emperor
I don't need luck, I've got ammo - Urdnot Grunt
Remember 4/22/2011. A day that shall live in infamy.

lokdron
04.01.2012 , 08:30 PM | #46
There's no Gray area as far as The Force is concerned. The official "Gray Jedi" (as in non-Fanon) definition is Jedi who disagree with the council but are still completely Light Sided. Luke is right in that there is no gray area where The Force is concerned, you either use the Light Side or the Dark Side, its impossible to use them both at the same time.
Yup those who do normally end up with case of falling to the dark side.

Empire foundry spoilers

Spoiler
You have seen it, you have felt it within you as you have traveled with me. The growing anger, the rage, and the power it brings. Yet the power does not build without struggle. Through small cruelties greater ones are born. Kriea/Darth Traya
Dark side eye topic make your voice heard if you want canon movie sith eyes!

DaWaffle
04.02.2012 , 04:40 AM | #47
Quote: Originally Posted by Captain_Zone View Post
For example: Dass Jennir. Survived Order 66 and the Jedi Purge by becoming a commando. As a Jedi, he was pretty much average in every respect. But as a vigilante and resistance fighter, he really started to shine. He didn't look down on those who used blasters, and often used them himself. He still carried his lightsaber, but only used it when practical. He actually executed two criminals, but didn't let that corrupt him. One was a slaver, and the other was a real twisted son of a ***** that bought a young girl, cooked her up and ate her just because he was rich and could do it. The guy was basically untouchable by the law, so Jennir took the law into his own hands. He rid the galaxy of a twisted sociopath. Is that Dark Side? If so, then the Light would be wrong there.
The "Light Side" response would have been to try and get him to regret his actions, and seek forgiveness.