Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Petition to get Mara Jade back

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > STAR WARS Discussion
Petition to get Mara Jade back

TheBentOne
03.27.2012 , 09:41 PM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by ProfessorWalsh View Post
We don't actually know that. There is a chance that the Legacy Comics will get retconned because they are too restrictive for the Star Wars novels. They interfere with writing stories about Luke Skywalker who is still the most popular character in the EU.
True enough. But it was heavily implied, which is good enough for me until something comes along to contradict it.
I bow to no one and give service only for cause.
- From the Journeyman Protectors oath.

westraz
03.27.2012 , 10:24 PM | #22
I think there where a lot he could of killed with in the rule of "you most kill the one you love" Jade was a good chose but there is a long list of ones he loves Sister Jaia Father Hon, mother Liea lover all most wife (blanking on name atm) and he's own kid... but I welling to bet when it came time too kill some one KT got the "luck" of the draw they had a talk with GL the Wright and the publishers that was something like this

how about we kill Luke? GL now wont let you do that
how about we kill Liea GL ya right
how about the kid? publishers no, we wont let you kill any more kids
how about the wife? wrighters no, that make the war bigger then we wont it to be
how about the sister Jana, wrighters/publishers no we can't lose both the bother and sitter

who left too kill

KT lets kill Mara

all ok

lol more or less it was something like that
I have bad spelling do to my being learning disabled , the is just so I do not get asked "why are you spelling so bad?" and I don't wont to have to get asked 100 times, and is in NO way meant to hurt any one feelings after all.. IT is about me!

ProfessorWalsh
03.27.2012 , 10:49 PM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by westraz View Post
I think there where a lot he could of killed with in the rule of "you most kill the one you love" Jade was a good chose but there is a long list of ones he loves Sister Jaia Father Hon, mother Liea lover all most wife (blanking on name atm) and he's own kid... but I welling to bet when it came time too kill some one KT got the "luck" of the draw they had a talk with GL the Wright and the publishers that was something like this

how about we kill Luke? GL now wont let you do that
how about we kill Liea GL ya right
how about the kid? publishers no, we wont let you kill any more kids
how about the wife? wrighters no, that make the war bigger then we wont it to be
how about the sister Jana, wrighters/publishers no we can't lose both the bother and sitter

who left too kill

KT lets kill Mara

all ok

lol more or less it was something like that
Erm no. Everyone on the LotF team was against the killing of Mara Jade. Everyone. Heck Karen knew that Timothy Zahn was working on a new Mara Jade novel and didn't even tell him she was going to do it.

Mara Jade wasn't a loved one to Jacen Solo.

Jacen's daughter Allana? She made sense, but he didn't kill her.
Tenel Ka? She made sense, but he didn't kill her.

Heck... Natassi Daala made more sense as a sacrifice than Mara Jade did.
"There is no room for compromise. We walk the path of the light side, or we fall into darkness. There is no gray area, Ben."
~ Jedi Grand Master Luke Skywalker (P. 187 FotJ, Book II: Omen)
Host of the Jedi Council stream also author of From the Journal of Val Starwind

GarfieldJL
03.27.2012 , 10:51 PM | #24
We don't actually know that. There is a chance that the Legacy Comics will get retconned because they are too restrictive for the Star Wars novels. They interfere with writing stories about Luke Skywalker who is still the most popular character in the EU.
Actually it is rather obvious that the Sith was Darth Krayt, if you read about the guy's description, particularly the tatoos.

ProfessorWalsh
03.27.2012 , 10:54 PM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by GarfieldJL View Post
Actually it is rather obvious that the Sith was Darth Krayt, if you read about the guy's description, particularly the tatoos.
Oh I'll admit that it definitely could be Krayt. However, like I said, there has been talk of Legacy being retconned out. (Or at least the time in the timeline when it happens being pushed back.) So we can't really confirm it.

This is the whole thing about "what a character says" vs "what we were shown" really.

Oh yes, it is implied that it was Darth Krayt, but it wasn't canonically confirmed that it was Darth Krayt.

Edit:
I do, by the by, support the retconning of Legacy. Once Luke Skywalker dies in the novels, to me, is the day I stop reading Star Wars novels.

220 novels, hundreds of comics, dozens of source books, 6 theatrical movies (7 counting the Clone Wars premier movie), 2 made for TV movies, 1 very bad holiday special, 3 animated TV series (4 counting the Genndy miniseries)... It all ends when Luke does.

The only Star Wars product I don't read religiously? Legacy and the successors. I find Cade Skywalker annoying and I find a Star Wars Galaxy post Luke Skywalker bleak and annoying.

For me... It lives... And it dies... With Luke Skywalker.

Fortunately Lucas Arts agrees with me on that one, so do the sales numbers, novels that don't star Luke, or series where he is marginalized (NJO) tend to do more poorly in sales than books that star Skywalker.
"There is no room for compromise. We walk the path of the light side, or we fall into darkness. There is no gray area, Ben."
~ Jedi Grand Master Luke Skywalker (P. 187 FotJ, Book II: Omen)
Host of the Jedi Council stream also author of From the Journal of Val Starwind

Captain_Zone
03.28.2012 , 12:13 AM | #26
Oh I'll admit that it definitely could be Krayt. However, like I said, there has been talk of Legacy being retconned out. (Or at least the time in the timeline when it happens being pushed back.) So we can't really confirm it.

This is the whole thing about "what a character says" vs "what we were shown" really.

Oh yes, it is implied that it was Darth Krayt, but it wasn't canonically confirmed that it was Darth Krayt.

Edit:
I do, by the by, support the retconning of Legacy. Once Luke Skywalker dies in the novels, to me, is the day I stop reading Star Wars novels.

220 novels, hundreds of comics, dozens of source books, 6 theatrical movies (7 counting the Clone Wars premier movie), 2 made for TV movies, 1 very bad holiday special, 3 animated TV series (4 counting the Genndy miniseries)... It all ends when Luke does.

The only Star Wars product I don't read religiously? Legacy and the successors. I find Cade Skywalker annoying and I find a Star Wars Galaxy post Luke Skywalker bleak and annoying.

Fortunately Lucas Arts agrees with me on that one, so do the sales numbers, novels that don't star Luke, or series where he is marginalized (NJO) tend to do more poorly in sales than books that star Skywalker.
I just wanted to say Thank you for your support, sir. Having been a Mara fan since Heir first came out, and hearing about her death and then actually FORCING myself to read it, I got so freakin' mad I threw the book across the room. It was the worst piece of garbage I'd read since I actually tried to read the first Twilight book. My gf at the time loved Twilight, and I tried.... but yeah. I would call Karen Traviss an even worse author than Stefanie Meyer. Talk about ugh....

I must have been in a masochistic mood that day. Worst. Star Wars. Book. Ever. to paraphrase Comic Book Guy.
. OPOD
Shivalka: Darth Baras is quite large, isn't he?
Joran Karn: You, my dear Sith, have just mastered the art of understatement.

TheBentOne
03.28.2012 , 09:07 AM | #27

Edit:

Really? Could I see the source for this claim? I must be in the minority then because reading about an inconsistently characterized force demigod that is capable of killing anything without breaking a sweat doesnít really hold that much interest to me.

Itís time for Luke to step aside so I can read about the other people in the galaxy. I would love to read a novel focusing on Saba or Kyp or maybe on Jiana finally taking an apprentice, but until Luke decides to take a back seat things like this are never going to happen.

In fact I LOOOOOVED Crosscurrent and Riptide, even though they were mediocre novels with tons of canon inaccuracy just because the name "Skywalker" was barely mentioned at all.
I bow to no one and give service only for cause.
- From the Journeyman Protectors oath.

mefit
03.28.2012 , 09:29 AM | #28
Erm no. Everyone on the LotF team was against the killing of Mara Jade. Everyone. Heck Karen knew that Timothy Zahn was working on a new Mara Jade novel and didn't even tell him she was going to do it.

Mara Jade wasn't a loved one to Jacen Solo.

Jacen's daughter Allana? She made sense, but he didn't kill her.
Tenel Ka? She made sense, but he didn't kill her.

Heck... Natassi Daala made more sense as a sacrifice than Mara Jade did.
I would like you to post a DIRECT Quote from Timothy Zahn on this, I can't seem to find anything other than extreme fans saying as such . I mean DIRECT, not from some Fanboy Website.

Mara Jade was his aunt and a easy target for many reasons . I don't care how you look at it.

KIlling a kid is considered a NO NO amongst the Majority , alot of Star Wars fans have kids like myself. Another thing is , you really think he would kill something that was him ? I think its biased to think he would kill anyone besides the easiest target that had many benifites in doing so. Mara Jade was the wife of the most POWERFUL forceuser, what a better way to weaken him ............Sorry you do not see outside the box. I thought it was perfect and besides , not too many people could have pulled it off.

Mara Jade was a sacrifice in so many ways that it just made the most sense
Was no coming back after killing her, Luke would never let that go
No to mention Ben Skywalker was also effected by the death of his mother

When you factor everything in , even though if he did not love Mara Jade his family did. By killing her , he hurt everyone around him in a way that killing his own flesh and blood might have not did . The sacrifice of Mara Jade was the best option .
Give a Man a Mask and he'll become his true self

DjDangle
03.28.2012 , 09:30 AM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by Captain_Zone View Post
It's Star Wars. Anything is possible, imo.
Actually time travel isn't possible in star wars....

oh hang on... http://uk.tv.ign.com/articles/121/1217759p1.html

lol

mefit
03.28.2012 , 09:32 AM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by TheBentOne View Post
Really? Could I see the source for this claim? I must be in the minority then because reading about an inconsistently characterized force demigod that is capable of killing anything without breaking a sweat doesnít really hold that much interest to me.

Itís time for Luke to step aside so I can read about the other people in the galaxy. I would love to read a novel focusing on Saba or Kyp or maybe on Jiana finally taking an apprentice, but until Luke decides to take a back seat things like this are never going to happen.

In fact I LOOOOOVED Crosscurrent and Riptide, even though they were mediocre novels with tons of canon inaccuracy just because the name "Skywalker" was barely mentioned at all.
I never been a fan of Luke , so I would be really Biased in my opinion that him dieing would be for the best.

I truely am sick of his Over Powered can defeat all Character, it is time for fresh and new characters to take the fold . Jaina would be Perfect for the new Grandmaster and he story is one that is just waiting to be reached in ways that Luke is holding her back .

I only wish Luke wasn't Overpowered , than maybe he would be the one dead instead of Mara :P
Give a Man a Mask and he'll become his true self