Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Button Basher? what am i missing??

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > New Player Help
Button Basher? what am i missing??

oOParaOo
03.27.2012 , 06:05 AM | #1
I am struggling to get into this game, maybe i am too noobish, but it feels like a button basher.

How do i defend my self or dodge attacks? do i just stand there, pressing 123 hoping they die before i run out of health? can somebody explain it too me?

And why does nobody ever respond on chat or want to join up?

Im a film maker, editor and mogrx artist. www.media73.co.uk

Synaesthesia
03.27.2012 , 06:14 AM | #2
It is a case of kill or be killed, but as you level each class gains skills that should allow you to survive longer.

As for chat, it could be you are on a quiet server, or people are already grouped up, have completed quests etc. Or they night not be the sociable sort.

Erevan_Kindelar
03.27.2012 , 06:16 AM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by oOParaOo View Post
I am struggling to get into this game, maybe i am too noobish, but it feels like a button basher.

How do i defend my self or dodge attacks? do i just stand there, pressing 123 hoping they die before i run out of health? can somebody explain it too me?

And why does nobody ever respond on chat or want to join up?

Why does nobody respond to chat or want to join up?
Could be your server, could be they have added you to their Ignore list, or they could all be off doing their own thing.
Defence and dodging happens automatically on a chance-basis, although there are things you can do. Generally the abilities you use in a fight will have specific situations where they should be used - if you see an attack building (just above the target display in your UI, you will see a small progress bar appearing occasionally, with the name of the ability your target is preparing), and if you have a stun or interrupt ability and you know that the attack that is being prepared, then you can use that stun or interrupt to stop that attack.
The attack will then be unavailable to the enemy for a set period of time, and the stun/interrupt will be unavailable to you for a set period of time.
Also, other abilities you have will typically make the enemy more vulnerable to attack or set up the enemy to be affected by another one of your attacks.
Knowing the "best" order in which to activate your abilities (also called your rotation) and when to break that order to deal with a specific problem is part of learning to play the class you are playing.
"Hitting 1, 2, 3" is one way to look at it, but blindly following a sequence without knowing what the individual abilities do is not the way to go

Look at the text description of your abilities. See what each of them do and how much of your available "ability use" pool they will take, and it should be fairly clear roughly what order you need to do things in. From there, adjust your rotation and see what works best.

Eternalnight
03.27.2012 , 06:30 AM | #4
Oh, no...

In fact you should just bash buttons completely randomly without ever getting to know what each of your abilities do and what effect they have.

Also you should not cc, stun, interupt or even learn what these are.

Also when an enemy casts some kind of area of effect damage attack, you should not move out of it, but instead just stand in it and suffer the full damage.

Not to mention, instead of wearing correct gear for your class, you should wear gear with completely useless stats for your class. Same for companions of course.

Oh, and almost forgot, you should not pay any attention to what you spend skillpoints on, but just place them completely randomly without even reading the tooltips of those skills.

Valhalyn
03.27.2012 , 06:39 AM | #5
You have innate defensive abilities, albeit some classes have more than others...specifically Tanks, but we sacrifice DPS for Survivability...This game is a button basher, but ALL mmo's are button bashers when it comes to combat...otherwise where would be the fun in the game? I knew people back in WoW that had an entire attack rotation macro'd to one button, so all they had to do was spam 1 single button and get moderate to great dps.

If you're worried about survival pick up Bioanalysis and BioChem. You can make your own medpacs and once you've done it enough and reverse engineered them you can make a non-consumable medpac. That'll help you stay alive and raise your crafting skill. Also just about every class gets a tank of some sort for there first or second companion. By those rules alone you shouldn't be having any problems whatsoever staying alive. Regular mobs die in a heartbeat, silvers die a few seconds later, and golds take a little bit but still should have you under less than 50% health by the time they fall on their face. Maybe you just arent prioritizing first, I've found alot of the players that came from WoW dont understand the "Power in numbers" concept. By which I mean dont worry about killing the strongest mob first EVER, kill all the weak mobs then move to the strongest ones last. The less damage coming in the more chance you'll survive.

Disregard the sarcasm above, it wasn't even witty. But seriously enjoy the game for the questing for now, get tired of questing go do some space missions when you get your ship at the end of your second world. Dont find any fun in that? Dismiss your companion and send him on Missions for crafting and you go into your last planet or next planet and farm mats for crafting.

Read your abilities, learn what they do. Goto www.sithwarrior.com if you really want to do some research, also if you are new like I assume you are. Dont just pick a class because you think it looks cool, take some time with it. Play all the classes to Lv15 and get a good feel for the AC's. Make 4 characters and decide what you might like to try, I say 15 because by 15 you can go into your first FP and really get some action. Play a tank, play a healer, play a ranged and melee dps. Just give it all a shot until you find something you like. Yeah button bashing gets old, but look, go find me one console game that isnt repetitive button bashing. Then sir, you will have won the day.

DanTheSentinel
03.27.2012 , 06:40 AM | #6
Defending yourself actively is a good part of the game. Yes, the game is based around % chance based on your statistics, but you get abilities that can change these numbers drastically for the short time to change the dynamics of a fight. There are stuns, mezz's, knockdowns, roots/snares that will stop an enemy from attacking for a time, slow them down/root them in place so they cannot run away/kite you, or close distance with you. There are enemies that will make it necessary to use your interrupt ability, to stop large damage attacks on your party, or yourself.

I think once you get into 15+ group content, or at the very least level further into your story content, you will see more things that demand more from you then 1-2-3.

Journeyer
03.27.2012 , 06:46 AM | #7
Definitely not a button masher--that'll get you killed~!

But perhaps a different sort of game than you were expecting.
Fighting in this game does not involve first-person-shooter style action of running around, making a few highly accurate shots, nor does it involve fighter-game style action where you exacute punch/kick combos and counters.

In this game, you play mostly with your head, practice the theory, and see the results unfold.
You consider your characters resources (energy bar, force meter, etc), your abilities--which use resources, and your stats. You think about how to basically use your resources effectively in terms of how many skills you can use, what order, what their cooldowns are... You try to create rotations of moves for yourself that take maximal advantage of your skills and resources. And you keep an eye on your stats, which affect the effectiveness of the skills.

Ideally, you work out several ideas for situations--you figure out what you're going to do if you need to bang out a bunch of damage, or stay back and defend yourself, or heal...etc. And then, you try to execute your plans in real time, against enemies!
I make useful, game-expanding suggestions.
Holorancor | Food! | Outfit Storage | My Career | Ultimate PvE Solution

Valhalyn
03.27.2012 , 06:46 AM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by DanTheSentinel View Post
Defending yourself actively is a good part of the game. Yes, the game is based around % chance based on your statistics, but you get abilities that can change these numbers drastically for the short time to change the dynamics of a fight. There are stuns, mezz's, knockdowns, roots/snares that will stop an enemy from attacking for a time, slow them down/root them in place so they cannot run away/kite you, or close distance with you. There are enemies that will make it necessary to use your interrupt ability, to stop large damage attacks on your party, or yourself.

I think once you get into 15+ group content, or at the very least level further into your story content, you will see more things that demand more from you then 1-2-3.

Well said, playing a Shadow right now only at level 21. I already have at least 20 abilities and use at least 6 of them for basic combat. 1 Interrupt, 1 Stun, 1 One Minute CC, this isnt even including the defensive or offensive abilities. There are plenty of things to do, but yes, you can get by just spamming the first 2 attacks you learned in single player quest mode. Hell you can pull it off in most of the FP's if you're group is decent enough since no one can tell what you're actually doing without recount right now...

If you want to get into the game you will, personally I think its refreshing that theres no Auto Attack. It keeps you on your toes, so you know if you dont press something you wont attack.

Shrikestalker
03.27.2012 , 07:08 AM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by oOParaOo View Post
"How do i defend my self or dodge attacks? do i just stand there, pressing 123 hoping they die before i run out of health? can somebody explain it too me? "
It has been often said that the best defense is a good offense, meaning... it's better to take the fight to the enemy than sit there and hope you can block or defend yourself. This is pretty much a universal truth because anyone fighting off the back of their heels will usually die first and often.

If you need specific help, you have to give more information such as: What class are you playing? (we cannot guess really)

What is your playstyle? Ranged? Melee? Are you a proactive player or reactive player?

Example: Sins are excellent offensive "defenders", because they stun the crap out of people attacking them, especially ranged who have skills that can take almost 3 secs to launch. Also many of those skills require them to be standing still and hope for the melee player to not move out of the 'circle of death'. A good rule of thumb is (like ANY mmo) if you see a circle of any type on the ground.. move.

Attacking keeps people off-balance which gives you the upper hand. Try varying tactics (attack with a stun first one time, then attack with a large dps attack the next, a dot the next) for optimal defensive help.

It's very tough for most players to give a spirited attack when they are trying to keep themselves from getting hurt at the same time.

oOParaOo
03.27.2012 , 07:21 AM | #10
i am playing sith warrior and am on the beast of ragnor is it? i go in prey, get about 5 strikes in then am dead. // Repeat.
Im a film maker, editor and mogrx artist. www.media73.co.uk