Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Requires [class] gear won't work on companions?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > New Player Help
Requires [class] gear won't work on companions?

DarthDemens
03.27.2012 , 01:33 AM | #11
My guess on the reasoning behind this is that some companions are actually opposite faction classes.

Andronikos Revel, Vette, and Ensign Temple would probably all be classified as 'Smuggler' classes (Dual Blaster/Cunning Attribute), but are companions for Imperial classes. I'm pretty sure there's at least 1 Republic companion who is a Sniper as well.
Oh, great . you live on in our hearts!
Comprehensive Guide to Space Missions

Eternalnight
03.27.2012 , 01:56 AM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by DarthDemens View Post
My guess on the reasoning behind this is that some companions are actually opposite faction classes.

Andronikos Revel, Vette, and Ensign Temple would probably all be classified as 'Smuggler' classes (Dual Blaster/Cunning Attribute), but are companions for Imperial classes. I'm pretty sure there's at least 1 Republic companion who is a Sniper as well.
No, they are not. Companions are their own classes and that's that.

Even if some companions use gear with similar stats as some playable classes, they don't have class like playable characters.

Their abilities are quite different.

Andronikos Revel, Vette and Ensign Temple are not smugglers. They don't have really have the abilities of the smuggler class.

Also heavy armor with aim main stat using ranged dps companions have almost identical special abilities as cunning using ranged dps companions.

Baelish
03.27.2012 , 05:40 AM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by DarthDemens View Post

I see what you mean by "the reasoning behind this", but think if this were the reason for not giving any companions a valid "class", it's a pretty shonky piece of reasoning. The recipes for imperial-class stuff drop for Republic toons and vice versa, and having cross faction-class companions would provide a market for this kind of stuff.

To be honest though, I don't think they were thinking that deeply. Just wonkily.

matthiaskotor
03.29.2012 , 07:16 PM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by Baelish View Post
I see what you mean by "the reasoning behind this", but think if this were the reason for not giving any companions a valid "class", it's a pretty shonky piece of reasoning. The recipes for imperial-class stuff drop for Republic toons and vice versa, and having cross faction-class companions would provide a market for this kind of stuff.

To be honest though, I don't think they were thinking that deeply. Just wonkily.
It doesn't have anything to do with faction stuff (IMO). It's more so they don't have to worry about balance between classes where you get a companion of the 'same' class (such as Trooper) and ones that don't.