Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Which healer would you recommend to a beginner?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
Which healer would you recommend to a beginner?

futuredami's Avatar


futuredami
03.26.2012 , 03:15 PM | #1
I have never healed before ever, so I want the experience to be as painless as possible.

I am leaning toward sorc because they are easier to play, but there are a few reasons I feel like operative is worth considering.

+operative looks cooler, and has imo much more fun companions and story
+stealth seems like it would save a lot of time and allow you to pick your fights
+less popular may mean it is easier to get a raid spot, unless they really are inferior

The only thing is I have no desire to do dps as an operative. I don't want to be a watered down mara/sin running around and multitasking. If it were possible to dual spec a healing op/sniper I would love it. But with a sorc I could actually have a dps offspec, even if I do look like a tool in a dress.

I like playing a specialist character that has a very set rotation without a lot of micromanagement.
Lightsabers are for people who can't use a Gaffi

hadoken's Avatar


hadoken
03.26.2012 , 03:39 PM | #2
Sorc, they have the simplest to understand/master resource mechanic so you can concentrate on everything else easier.

Tenacity's Avatar


Tenacity
03.26.2012 , 03:42 PM | #3
After this upcoming patch, operatives will have the best single target healing output of any of the three healing-capable ACs on the imperial side.

However, they arent exactly an easy healing class - resource management is very tight and you have procs you constantly have to pay attention for - it's a very active class that requires a lot of attention to play well.

Gearing up as an operative (or sniper) is very easy as well, since there's not many of them at 50 compared to other classes, so you wont have much competition for gear.





The easiest healer to play is sorceror, though their healing ability is going to be significantly impacted by changes in this upcoming patch which will make resource management more important. They have more utility than the other healers via knockback, interrupt, stuns, no-limitation CC, and force speed - they can also pull an ally to drop his or her threat, making it easier to keep DPS alive in pve.




Mercenaries are the best option if you're wanting to be able to both DPS and heal (with a spec/talent change), they'll put out more damage than operatives or sorcerors with a DPS build, and being ranged they've got a leg-up on operatives for endgame DPS. Their healing is roughly as difficult as operative healing is, maybe moreso after the patch due to resource cost changes which will make resource management much more difficult for mercenaries. They dont have an interrupt or any kind of stealth/charge/speed abilities, which can make them more difficult to use in pvp.

THE LYNX LEGACY THE HARBINGER
Lynx --- Bastet --- Pakhet --- Leonen --- Maihos
Shock and Jawa Full Metal Jawa

kansaskyle's Avatar


kansaskyle
03.26.2012 , 03:45 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by futuredami View Post
I like playing a specialist character that has a very set rotation without a lot of micromanagement.
I have a lvl 50 Sorc and Agent, plus a lvl 31 Merc. Having played all three healers, I think the Sorc is pretty easy due to the bubble and extra utility (e.g., force speed, extricate, CC any mobs, etc.) over my Agent. The Agent is all about micromanagement with having to watch your surgical probe, TA proc, energy levels, etc.

The 1.2 patch is going to mess with Sorc resource management from what I've read, so that may make them a bit less easy to play.

futuredami's Avatar


futuredami
03.26.2012 , 03:53 PM | #5
This is all good advice, thank you guys.

Merc is something I hadn't really considered because honestly I hate the guy's voice and the aesthetics of the armor. I do realize that @50 these things hardly matter so if the class is REALLY fun to play I will probably get over my dislikes.

Now when you say micromanagement, do you mean watching a resource carefully or having a huge array of skills?

I don't mind playing tactical and cautious, I just can't stand pushing 20+ buttons and a really complex rotation: for example I hated marauder and shelved him at 35.
Lightsabers are for people who can't use a Gaffi

Toogeloo's Avatar


Toogeloo
03.26.2012 , 04:22 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Tenacity View Post
After this upcoming patch, operatives will have the best single target healing output of any of the three healing-capable ACs on the imperial side.
Nothing is changing about the Agent Single Target Heals. They are getting easier to manage 6% Bonus healing uptime (which was never a problem for Operatives who knew how to heal), and they are getting an improvement on the worst AoE heal in the game, making it at least somewhat viable.

Nothing about their Single Target healing has changed at all.


If anything, the 1.2 patch is going to make the Operative healer more newb friendly by giving them better resource management.

Ruzi's Avatar


Ruzi
03.26.2012 , 04:44 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by futuredami View Post
Now when you say micromanagement, do you mean watching a resource carefully or having a huge array of skills?.
You have more stuff to pay attention to. You don't use that many spells, but you are required to keep track of your energy and tactical advantage in addition to peoples health bars.
If you are not careful or don't pay attention you can miss free heals or run out of energy quite easily.

Tenacity's Avatar


Tenacity
03.26.2012 , 04:57 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Toogeloo View Post
Nothing is changing about the Agent Single Target Heals. They are getting easier to manage 6% Bonus healing uptime (which was never a problem for Operatives who knew how to heal), and they are getting an improvement on the worst AoE heal in the game, making it at least somewhat viable.

Nothing about their Single Target healing has changed at all.


If anything, the 1.2 patch is going to make the Operative healer more newb friendly by giving them better resource management.
They're getting the ability to stack an additional tactical advantage charge, and TA charges will last longer.

That means more surgical probes, which means better single target healing.
THE LYNX LEGACY THE HARBINGER
Lynx --- Bastet --- Pakhet --- Leonen --- Maihos
Shock and Jawa Full Metal Jawa

Toogeloo's Avatar


Toogeloo
03.26.2012 , 05:34 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Tenacity View Post
They're getting the ability to stack an additional tactical advantage charge, and TA charges will last longer.

That means more surgical probes, which means better single target healing.
Surgical Probe is also the second weakest single target heal we have. If someone is spamming Surgical Probes they have lower Heals per Second. No Operative Healer in their right mind would use Surgical Probe like it's our main heal. Healing is better if you do Injection > Probe > Injection because Injection is the better heal. Surgical Probe is a rescue heal for people under 30% health and as an Energy Saver to help get back to full between Injections. The only reason we are getting a third TA is just for easier maintenance of the 6% Bonus healing, which if you were a good Operative Healer before the patch, shouldn't change anything.


If anything changes from 1.2, we might see more Kolto Infusion casts, which may or may not be better (but only if you have 4 set) but gives some leeway due to the 3 TA stack.


Injection is our best single Target Healing spell, and 1.2 changes nothing about that. There is no way I would ever use two SPs just because I have 3 TAs up. I would rather use Infusion for one of them in the hopes it will crit which might make it excusable to skip Injection in the rotation.

Shroudveil's Avatar


Shroudveil
03.26.2012 , 05:55 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Toogeloo View Post
Surgical Probe is also the second weakest single target heal we have. If someone is spamming Surgical Probes they have lower Heals per Second. No Operative Healer in their right mind would use Surgical Probe like it's our main heal. Healing is better if you do Injection > Probe > Injection because Injection is the better heal. Surgical Probe is a rescue heal for people under 30% health and as an Energy Saver to help get back to full between Injections. The only reason we are getting a third TA is just for easier maintenance of the 6% Bonus healing, which if you were a good Operative Healer before the patch, shouldn't change anything.


If anything changes from 1.2, we might see more Kolto Infusion casts, which may or may not be better (but only if you have 4 set) but gives some leeway due to the 3 TA stack.


Injection is our best single Target Healing spell, and 1.2 changes nothing about that. There is no way I would ever use two SPs just because I have 3 TAs up. I would rather use Infusion for one of them in the hopes it will crit which might make it excusable to skip Injection in the rotation.
actually, hps wise, infusion tramples injection in the ground, but it is much more expensive (-5energy but also costs TA while inj generates TA)

single target healing for sustain will remain the same, maybe a 0,5%increase due to a bit faster DS once/20sec if you only do sustain.

i expect our burst healing to rise a bit though due to no lost KP procs (which were 60% lost prior to 1.2 and they SHOULD have fixed it) leading to some leaway to cast infusion now and then.

edit: as far as the OP question goes, sage/sorc is till the easiest and more versatile healer for pve content still.
Quote:
Georg Zoeller: A scoundrel, for example, is capable of producing rather significant burst healing output by using Upper Hand gained from Underworld Medicine or Kolto Injection to trigger an instant Emergency Medpack or Surgical probe when needed.