Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Darkness leveling (pve), need advice

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Shadow / Assassin
Darkness leveling (pve), need advice

verfallen
03.28.2012 , 12:40 PM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by Eitri View Post
That's part of why I like Shroud of Darkness, it essentially makes your opener free since you regain force nice and quick coming out of stealth. Then you have the force to thrash a few times for Energize procs.

I do like it that we have a good core build and then we can move a few points around to suit our playstyle.

For the guy who asked about the rotation, check out the codex thread. The rest of the thread is a bit out of date, but the stuff in the Darkness section still holds, including the priority list.
I take it you mean dark embrace? Shroud of Darkness is a 3% endurance buff, and doesn't fit the description you mentionned. I suppose you go for a 31/2/8 setup?

I tought about it also, but in the end, thats 30 extra force you will get back (10 x 0,5 x6).

On so if you unleash more than 5 shock per battles, or 10 thrash, or a mix, Torment (31/0/10) is actually better for you, since the tank cannot really pull a vanish mid-fight to buff his regen.

Dark Embrace is extremely atuned to the deception burst style, so Darkness in most fight will prefer Torment.

You'll gain an advantage with Dark Embrace only with thrash encounters pretty much.

Eitri
03.28.2012 , 01:17 PM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by verfallen View Post
I take it you mean dark embrace? Shroud of Darkness is a 3% endurance buff, and doesn't fit the description you mentionned. I suppose you go for a 31/2/8 setup?

I tought about it also, but in the end, thats 30 extra force you will get back (10 x 0,5 x6).

On so if you unleash more than 5 shock per battles, or 10 thrash, or a mix, Torment (31/0/10) is actually better for you, since the tank cannot really pull a vanish mid-fight to buff his regen.

Dark Embrace is extremely atuned to the deception burst style, so Darkness in most fight will prefer Torment.

You'll gain an advantage with Dark Embrace only with thrash encounters pretty much.
Yeah I meant Dark Embrace. I'll need to count my shocks and thrashes, but I'm guessing I do do more than 5/10 average per fight. I'll probably respec. I still prefer a point in Nerve Wracking to Shroud of Darkness since it debuffs to all damage and 1% endurance increases HP by so little. That'd put me at the standard 31/0/10 with that one small change.

toshman
03.28.2012 , 01:26 PM | #13
darkness is a great spec when you hit 50. but not the fastest leveling spec.

deception is a much much faster leveling spec and burns elites due to the the interupts. you also manage to use your resources properly.

verfallen
03.28.2012 , 02:17 PM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by toshman View Post
darkness is a great spec when you hit 50. but not the fastest leveling spec.

deception is a much much faster leveling spec and burns elites due to the the interupts. you also manage to use your resources properly.
Deception pretty muh require you to use khem, which invalidate your statement.

Why? Because Darkness use Ashara or Andronikos, giving a team wide DPS around same values. Their DPS is below Deception sin one by a fair margin, but Darkness sin is way above khem also.

Makes for some very fine elite burning. Also, Darkness have the same number of interrupts, since you can use Spike out of stealth, giving you an effective in-combat KD.

Boerewors
03.29.2012 , 03:09 AM | #15
First time assassin here, I have been juggling around with the trees, only at level 31 at the moment. For some reason I have found playing madness spec but in dark charge works best for me. Madness in lightning charge seems too squishy with a lot of down time between PVE mob groups. I don't spec the lightning charge specific talents but have nothing in the darkness tree at all. I set Khem on the dps stance and whack away. The self heals of dark charge plus the DPS boosts from madness plus death field makes for an awesome steamroller through PVE soloing. I have even tanked with it in PVE and it does ok.

Am I seeing this right or am I playing madness wrong so that in lightning charge that I have downtime between fights?
"Humility endless is."

Varicite
03.29.2012 , 07:45 AM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by Boerewors View Post
First time assassin here, I have been juggling around with the trees, only at level 31 at the moment. For some reason I have found playing madness spec but in dark charge works best for me. Madness in lightning charge seems too squishy with a lot of down time between PVE mob groups. I don't spec the lightning charge specific talents but have nothing in the darkness tree at all. I set Khem on the dps stance and whack away. The self heals of dark charge plus the DPS boosts from madness plus death field makes for an awesome steamroller through PVE soloing. I have even tanked with it in PVE and it does ok.

Am I seeing this right or am I playing madness wrong so that in lightning charge that I have downtime between fights?
Well, one of the best talents in Madness is Raze, which lets you cast Crushing Darkness instantly and finishes the cooldown on it.

It requires that you be using Lightning Charge so you can use the Discharge DoT to proc Raze.

I'd play in Lightning Charge for that alone, as Madness.
Quote: Originally Posted by JayPres View Post
Strap your digital dog to your digital roof and take your ideologies, lovely wife, and sweet little 8yr old girl to a PVE server where you fit best.

Deathstingg
03.29.2012 , 08:51 AM | #17
Just got harnessed darkness, have to say it's a stunning skill for elites where you have time to build 3 stacks and get the healing return and it's going to be even better when i'll get wither, i'm just wondering which stance is better for ashara, the armor pen or the internal dmg one?

MasterFeign
03.29.2012 , 09:25 AM | #18
I go for the armour one as it ignores 15%.

As for the rotation (someone from the previous page asking).

If I'm soloing, and don't need to pull hard threat (ie. mind control and mass mind control), I'll just go right to using:

Wither, saber strike, shock, thrash (hopefully getting Energize right off the bat), then shock again, then recklessness, then force lightning, saber strike then thrash then shock.

Something like that anyway. Discharge is good if there is a number of enemies but it doesn't deal that much damage so wither is good just the same. Also if you have force shroud on a 45 second cool down, don't be afraid to use it often. Tank fights can be long so using it to save some damage is fine. Even popping your trinket shield or w/e it is you have is good too especially since it's on a 2 minute cooldown only. Also don't be afraid to use your overcharge saber early too.

Also, don't be using force lightning unless if you have 3 stacks of harnessed darkness, not only because this ensures some healing, but because 3 stacks is 3500 damage.

Malkosha
03.29.2012 , 12:12 PM | #19

You are not wrong.

Raze is fantastic but not needed when leveling that much. Once you hit the cap yu will want it but for now you can steamroll ... as you have already found out ... doing exactly what you are doing now.
TRS-80, Dual 5 1/2" Floppy's, 13" CGA Monitor

verfallen
03.29.2012 , 12:47 PM | #20

Madness is built around Lightning charge, and its your only DoT source other than Crushing Darkness to pop Raze or consume a Deathmark.

Not using it will severly harm the tree effectiveness

Quote: Originally Posted by MasterFeign View Post
I go for the armour one as it ignores 15%.

As for the rotation (someone from the previous page asking).

If I'm soloing, and don't need to pull hard threat (ie. mind control and mass mind control), I'll just go right to using:

Wither, saber strike, shock, thrash (hopefully getting Energize right off the bat), then shock again, then recklessness, then force lightning, saber strike then thrash then shock.

Something like that anyway. Discharge is good if there is a number of enemies but it doesn't deal that much damage so wither is good just the same. Also if you have force shroud on a 45 second cool down, don't be afraid to use it often. Tank fights can be long so using it to save some damage is fine. Even popping your trinket shield or w/e it is you have is good too especially since it's on a 2 minute cooldown only. Also don't be afraid to use your overcharge saber early too.

Also, don't be using force lightning unless if you have 3 stacks of harnessed darkness, not only because this ensures some healing, but because 3 stacks is 3500 damage.
Your recklessness is badly situated. Always throw it on when at 2 stack of HD you get Energize to proc.

The. Recklessness ->shock (crit damage boost)->FL.

Also in many solo thrash fight, feel free to throw FL at 1-2 stack, it doesnt matter much. With Ashara, if there isn't a strong there, they die after 1-2 tick to the combined DPS.

Also on longer fight don't use thrash that much, since you'll have force issue and you'll delay the 3 HD stack.

Only thrash to proc energize if you got Recklessness off CD.

Discharge should be on CD at anytime, since its nice cheap AoE damage. Also keep force shroud to dispel DoT that could get annoying in some fights, or resist a powerful force or tech attack.