Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Darkness leveling (pve), need advice

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Shadow / Assassin
Darkness leveling (pve), need advice

Deathstingg
03.26.2012 , 08:58 AM | #1
I'm currently 34 darkness spec here http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#200rIbMkRkzZZR.1

I'm now planning going into madness tree to get chain shock and later force field, but i wanna know if there's some point i could remove and put elsewhere (blood of sith, hollow etc)

Thanks

Eitri
03.26.2012 , 06:22 PM | #2
I'm really happy with the standard (31/0/10) build (check out the Assassin's Codex in this forum). I went all the way up darkness first since the debuff from Wither is quite nice on groups of mobs while leveling. The only changes I made were Dark Embrace instead of Torment and one point of Nerve Wracking instead of Electric Execution. Both are personal preferences and those three points are not really key anyway.

For sure I'd drop Shroud of Darkness and any points in Electric Execution until you absolutely need them to get up the Darkness tree. 3% endurance is very little HP, we're talking 200 or so at your level.

Meeth
03.27.2012 , 10:16 AM | #3
31/0/10 is the way to go http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#200rsrokrskbsZZf0cM.1

i have been very happy with this build for leveling, pvping, and end-game tanking. my advice is to get all those darkness abilities then go into madness for chain shock. at the very least you should get "Electrify" and "Harness Darkness" before you go for "Chain Shock". also, gear is very important not only for you but for Talos also. keep his cunning and tech power as high as you can to maximize his heals.

if you don't have talos yet find a higher level player to run you through your class quests until you find him. he is on hoth. you have to be a minimum of lvl 33 because you have to do your class quest on quesh before you get him and you can't land on quesh unless you are 33. once you get him always remember to keep guard on him all the time.

hope this helps

verfallen
03.27.2012 , 02:09 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by Meeth View Post
31/0/10 is the way to go http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#200rsrokrskbsZZf0cM.1

i have been very happy with this build for leveling, pvping, and end-game tanking. my advice is to get all those darkness abilities then go into madness for chain shock. at the very least you should get "Electrify" and "Harness Darkness" before you go for "Chain Shock". also, gear is very important not only for you but for Talos also. keep his cunning and tech power as high as you can to maximize his heals.

if you don't have talos yet find a higher level player to run you through your class quests until you find him. he is on hoth. you have to be a minimum of lvl 33 because you have to do your class quest on quesh before you get him and you can't land on quesh unless you are 33. once you get him always remember to keep guard on him all the time.

hope this helps
Slightly gearing the ship droid is plenty to go through harder part of solo questing, and even some heroic 2 solo. He is simply annoying since he rush in for a fist fight. About that build however, I personnally prefer putting 3 points in electric execution (Dark charge discharge damage buffed by 9%) than thrashing blade and 1% of endurance.

Thrashing blade while leveling, sure, but once you get wither? I barely use it, due to force issue. Sure it procs energize, but getting 3 stack of HD ASAP seems more important unless recklessness isn't on CD. So a few thrash every minute and a half? Yeh not worth it imo.

Meeth
03.27.2012 , 03:08 PM | #5
wither also procs harness darkness

MasterFeign
03.27.2012 , 05:06 PM | #6
With the 31 0 10 build, I've noticed that I was able to hit for up to 4.4k on Champion level NPCs. This was done with also using recklessness and having the buffs for extra lightning and what not. Certainly worth it. Shock serves as a main ingredient simply because it's so useful (helps with harnessed darkness and threat, as well as getting more damage periodically). With this build I hardly ever use moves like crushing darkness, because 3 stacks of harnessed darkness can equate to 3500 damage.

Varicite
03.27.2012 , 07:32 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by verfallen View Post
Slightly gearing the ship droid is plenty to go through harder part of solo questing, and even some heroic 2 solo. He is simply annoying since he rush in for a fist fight. About that build however, I personnally prefer putting 3 points in electric execution (Dark charge discharge damage buffed by 9%) than thrashing blade and 1% of endurance.

Thrashing blade while leveling, sure, but once you get wither? I barely use it, due to force issue. Sure it procs energize, but getting 3 stack of HD ASAP seems more important unless recklessness isn't on CD. So a few thrash every minute and a half? Yeh not worth it imo.
The wording on the tooltip for Electric Induction says "Increases the damage dealt by your Lightsaber charges by 9%".

It doesn't say anything at all about Discharge.

I was under the impression that it didn't effect Discharge at all, and only effected the damage (lol?) portion when Dark Charge procs (and not the healing portion).

If that's the case, increasing the 200-300 damage of Dark Charge's proc by 9% would only be an increase of 27~ damage every 5 seconds or so.

Definitely NOT worth 3 talent points.

Can anyone clarify how this talent actually works?
Quote: Originally Posted by JayPres View Post
Strap your digital dog to your digital roof and take your ideologies, lovely wife, and sweet little 8yr old girl to a PVE server where you fit best.

Sototh
03.27.2012 , 10:53 PM | #8
May I ask which rotation to use whiles leveling up in 31-0-10?
Thanx ahead

verfallen
03.28.2012 , 12:31 AM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Varicite View Post
The wording on the tooltip for Electric Induction says "Increases the damage dealt by your Lightsaber charges by 9%".

It doesn't say anything at all about Discharge.

I was under the impression that it didn't effect Discharge at all, and only effected the damage (lol?) portion when Dark Charge procs (and not the healing portion).

If that's the case, increasing the 200-300 damage of Dark Charge's proc by 9% would only be an increase of 27~ damage every 5 seconds or so.

Definitely NOT worth 3 talent points.

Can anyone clarify how this talent actually works?
And thats what i get for reading tooltips too fast sometimes lol. Thanks for pointing that out, I agree.

3% endurance is much better in that case, or thrash danage upgrade, but imo I'd get endurance since, as I said; thrash is a one way highway to out of force ( and that makes lacerate the racetrack to it :P)

Eitri
03.28.2012 , 12:27 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by verfallen View Post
And thats what i get for reading tooltips too fast sometimes lol. Thanks for pointing that out, I agree.

3% endurance is much better in that case, or thrash danage upgrade, but imo I'd get endurance since, as I said; thrash is a one way highway to out of force ( and that makes lacerate the racetrack to it :P)
That's part of why I like Dark Embrace, it essentially makes your opener free since you regain force nice and quick coming out of stealth. Then you have the force to thrash a few times for Energize procs.

I do like it that we have a good core build and then we can move a few points around to suit our playstyle.

For the guy who asked about the rotation, check out the codex thread. The rest of the thread is a bit out of date, but the stuff in the Darkness section still holds, including the priority list.