Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

The Status Quo Has Been Restored

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > STAR WARS Discussion
The Status Quo Has Been Restored

BrandonSM
03.25.2012 , 02:09 PM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by TheBentOne View Post

the force may be more powerful but its also more subtile. things like being able levatate objects, controling the people that fire the giant lazors and cutting off a political rival mid speech by closing his windpipe are more useful and powerful than having a giant death machine blasting planets willy nilly.

at least that how i always saw it.
Size Matters not.
Hapan: "This creature has information that could lead us to a woman who has been kidnapped. We will get that information."
Luke: "This woman is a citizen of the New Republic, and if you do not take your hands off her, I will take your hands off you."

Aximand
03.25.2012 , 02:23 PM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by BrandonSM View Post
Size Matters not.
That's what she said.
I'm not mean, you're just a sissy.
The Orange Pixel is the REAL Sith Emperor
I don't need luck, I've got ammo - Urdnot Grunt
Remember 4/22/2011. A day that shall live in infamy.

Mirdthestrill
03.25.2012 , 03:37 PM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by ProfessorWalsh View Post
Well, for those that don't know, there was an author by the name of Karen Traviss who came into Star Wars a while back. She had a personal obsession with Mandalorians and an agenda to make them the best thing since Lucas invented the lightsaber.

She made them better fighters pound for pound than Jedi.
She made them have weapons and armor that the Jedi couldn't match.
She gave them the best starfighters in Star Wars.
She pretty much Mary Sue'd the entire Mandalorian culture.

Thankfully... For the franchise... The Mandalorians, in canon, have been returned to what they should have been thanks to FotJ.

1. She made them better fighters pound for pound than Jedi.

In the series Star Wars: Fate of the Jedi we saw numerous clashes between Jedi and Mandalorians. The Mandos always had a numerical advantage and the Mandos always suffered losses. While we saw dozens of Mandalorian deaths we saw a grand total of one Jedi death despite numerous attempts and ambushes. The one Jedi death was an untrained, unarmed, Jedi apprentice who was all of fifteen years old. This categorically reduced the claims of Mandos down to being just that... Claims.

2. She made them have weapons and armor that the Jedi couldn't match.

Not only did we see lightsabers easily go around Beskar in FotJ, by aiming for the less armored joints and such, but we also saw them go through Beskar after several whacks. This is good because it makes Mando Iron decent but no longer nigh indestructible and a couple of whacks with a lightsaber still means a dead Mando.

However to sweeten the pot we were shown that Jedi can use the Force to shatter Beskar. (Shown by Jacen Solo and Luke Skywalker in Troy Denning's part of LotF) but they can also use techniques to pass right through it as was shown by an unarmed Barv in the ambush the Mandalorians sprang on them in another installment of Denning's run on LotF.)

3. They had the best Starfighters.

In FotJ it was revealed that the Republic now has fighters that are pound for pound better than the new Mando ships. As stated in the novel they were able " to go head to head with them and come out on top."

The Mando culture in Star Wars is now back to where it should be. They are not on par with Jedi or Sith but are the best of the best when it comes to mercenaries. They fetch top credits and they perform admirably. They are guns for hire that are more than worth hiring when one needs it.

All in all with the final nail in the coffin we once again have Star Wars back to the normal status quo!
Walsh is back. Us Mandalorian supporters are doomed.
I <3 alts!

Aximand
03.25.2012 , 03:49 PM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by Mirdthestrill View Post
Walsh is back. Us Mandalorian supporters are doomed.
There's a difference between supporting Mandalorians and supporting Karen Traviss' idiocy. Don't group me in with the rest of you.

Rayla_Felana
03.25.2012 , 03:50 PM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by Aximand View Post
There's a difference between supporting Mandalorians and supporting Karen Traviss' idiocy. Don't group me in with the rest of you.
Yeh, I'm with Aximand.

Aximand
03.25.2012 , 03:53 PM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by Rayla_Felana View Post
Yeh, I'm with Aximand.
Hippy farmer mercenaries =/= Mandalorians.

Rayla_Felana
03.25.2012 , 03:55 PM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by Aximand View Post
Hippy farmer mercenaries =/= Mandalorians.
Rofl.

Mirdthestrill
03.25.2012 , 03:59 PM | #28
I'll take a shot at explaining why I support Traviss books:

I love the Star Wars movies. I love the Jedi. As a small child I always imagined being like the Jedi, fighting like the Jedi.

Eventually I started reading the books. I read Zahn's Heir to the Empire trilogy, and loved it. Then Hand of Thrawn, and loved it. But time went on. The Yuuzhan Vong came. And I simply got to the point where the with every book, they stacked a new power onto the Jedi. They always have to top themselves, and they do it by giving the jedi more power. And more power. Et Cetera.

So I became a bit disillusioned after finishing the Vong series. And then I read the Republic Commando books. It was quite incredible for me, a guy who had played through Republic Commando on the Xbox and loved, and who had always wondered what clones were really like since episode 2.

But more than that, it was a story about people who weren't Jedi. Ordinary guys, who just happened to be clones, trying to make their way through the universe and not die. They were also finally a group of people who took the Jedi down to size. Think about it. When was the last time a KNOWN Jedi, one not introduced in a book and killed off in the same one, was killed by someone other than the Sith? In all this wide galaxy, there was no one at all who was able to even hurt these people?

In my opinion, Traviss did want to take the jedi down to size a little bit. And that's not why I like the books. I like the books because they tell a completely new story. Not the tired old Jedi-Sith dynamic, but a completely new story about a completely new group of people, who could be equal with the Jedi.

This probably came across as complete idiocy, didn't it? Sorry I'm inarticulate.
I <3 alts!

Aximand
03.25.2012 , 04:00 PM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by Rayla_Felana View Post
Rofl.
Actually, didn't she make them communists as well?

Wolfninjajedi
03.25.2012 , 04:04 PM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by Mirdthestrill View Post
I'll take a shot at explaining why I support Traviss books:

I love the Star Wars movies. I love the Jedi. As a small child I always imagined being like the Jedi, fighting like the Jedi.

Eventually I started reading the books. I read Zahn's Heir to the Empire trilogy, and loved it. Then Hand of Thrawn, and loved it. But time went on. The Yuuzhan Vong came. And I simply got to the point where the with every book, they stacked a new power onto the Jedi. They always have to top themselves, and they do it by giving the jedi more power. And more power. Et Cetera.

So I became a bit disillusioned after finishing the Vong series. And then I read the Republic Commando books. It was quite incredible for me, a guy who had played through Republic Commando on the Xbox and loved, and who had always wondered what clones were really like since episode 2.

But more than that, it was a story about people who weren't Jedi. Ordinary guys, who just happened to be clones, trying to make their way through the universe and not die. They were also finally a group of people who took the Jedi down to size. Think about it. When was the last time a KNOWN Jedi, one not introduced in a book and killed off in the same one, was killed by someone other than the Sith? In all this wide galaxy, there was no one at all who was able to even hurt these people?

In my opinion, Traviss did want to take the jedi down to size a little bit. And that's not why I like the books. I like the books because they tell a completely new story. Not the tired old Jedi-Sith dynamic, but a completely new story about a completely new group of people, who could be equal with the Jedi.

This probably came across as complete idiocy, didn't it? Sorry I'm inarticulate.
Its not that others being able to beat jedi is a bad thing. But Traviss went about it all the wrong ways, to the point where it was just stupid.
"There is one lesson you've yet to learn. How to become one with the Force!"
―Cin Drallig to Darth Vader

Maucs the Tauntaun King, former SWG player.