Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Class balance: Mobility, Interrupt, Knockback & OOC

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
Class balance: Mobility, Interrupt, Knockback & OOC

Dastey
03.24.2012 , 08:49 AM | #1
So im sure we all know that certain classes are lacking either of the 4 abilities.
The 4 im mentioning are: Mobility, Interrupt, Knockback, and an Out-of-combat ability.

When you take a look at the advanced classes you have the following:
Juggernaut: Mobility, Interrupt, Knockback
Marauder: Mobility, Interrupt, OOC
Sorcerer: Mobility, Interrupt, Knockback + Friendly pull
Assassin: Mobility, Interrupt, Knockback, OOC + Pull
Sniper: Interrupt, Knockback
Operative: Interrupt, OOC
Powertech: Mobility, Interrupt + Pull
Mercenary: Knockback

To summarize we have 1 AC that recieved all of the above 4 categorizes and that would be the assassin, there are 3 classes that recieves 3 of the above abilities which are marauder, sorcerer and juggernaut. Then we have sniper, operative and powertech which only has 2 of the abilities. And last and certainly least there is the mercenary that only has 1 of the above and that would be the knockback.

On top of this 2 classes are having a pull ability which funny enough assassin is 1 of them recieving every single utility spell in the game. Sorcerer also has a friendly pull giving them another ability.

Now 1 thing I didnt cover in the above was slowing abilties since honestly I have no clue which classes has a slow ability, I know for certain marauder and sorcerer has simply giving them more utility and yet again Mercenary doesnt.

As a mercenary im pretty disgusted about the class balance on this point. Yesterday Bioware announced in the Q&A that there are no intentions on giving the mercenary an interrupt since that is our weak point. Fair enough, honestly I don't really need an interrupt. The current mercenary class is pretty much a turret that stands in the background and shoots at people, and every single person in the game is whining about the TM. Now they said they want to change our rotation but this has proven to be a pretty unsuccesful way of doing it in PvP atleast.

Now im sure im talking for every mercenary when I say that we would like some mobility. We are the least mobile class despite having a *********** jet pack on our back. When we get charges or attack or whatever we can knockback and then we are screwed. We get interrupted, stunned, slowed, and whatever people can come up with, yet we don't have any get away ability. We simply has to stand there and take the hits while looking on other classes sprinting away, charging away.

To summarize we pretty much have 7 categorizes. Knockback, Mobility, Interrupt, OOC, Pull, Friendly pull, slow. Out of theese 7 categorizes the Mercenary AC is the only that hasn't got alteast 2 which seems like really bad balancing around the board when it comes to utility.

Ehlin
03.25.2012 , 12:44 AM | #2
I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks mercenaries need something that's not an interrupt. I think an interrupt would be, too much. At least in PVP. Maybe they could make an interrupt that only works in PVE? (Not gonna happen)

I think, as a mercenary, what we need is an ability like force speed. You even pointed it out~ we have a freaking jet pack. Sadly with the upcoming legacy systems rocket boost I don't see mercenaries ever getting this.

If anything mercenaries should get the rocket boost and commando should get the jet boots, only two classes that those abilities make the most sense with.

mamosh
03.25.2012 , 03:42 AM | #3
playing a lv 49 merch and 46 pt atm i know i know pre 50 pvp but what ever and i must say use to love the merch till i tryed powertech now i think merch is soooo bad in pvp to squishy to little cc soon as someone focus on you you try to run (gl no slows exept shared tree spec) 1 stun for a few secs that fills half the resolve 2 knock back (arsenal spec) one is like 1 meter woohoo cant really shoot and run cant shoot down a melee thats comming for you with charge chocke kickback charge dead merch

im enjoying the powertech more and more and agree merch needs another stun or remove the stupid casttime from our merz that would be great already

Daross
03.25.2012 , 04:30 AM | #4
Think Legacy migt be something that will work out bad for swtor.
Since people will try other classes, and get to know how much fun utility is.
SWTOR is very badly balance around utility (tho think your list is incomplete and subjective).. I predict soon more and more people will switch to consular/inquisitor.. the only class with overstacked utilties, which gives sooo much freedom of gameplay and options for every occasion.

Slowmojo
03.25.2012 , 05:04 AM | #5
Time to play the devils advocate.

Quote: Originally Posted by Daross;
... (tho think your list is incomplete and subjective)...
I very much agree with this statement.
Utility, interrupts, knockbacks, etc are all part of the class as a whole. They weigh on other strenghts such as damage and survivability or compensate for their weaknesses alike.

The Assassin pull is also spec based, only for tanking Assassins.
There is also a big difference in interrupts for everyone.
Jolt: 12sec CD - 10/30 meter ranged (sin/sorc)
Quell: 8-6sec CD - melee range (powertech/tactics)
Distraction: 12 sec CD - 30-35/10-15 meter range. (sniper, op)
etc.

You forgot to much utility in the list that should be considered, as they all should be taken in consideration with eachother + damage and survivability.
- AoE stun/incapacitate (flashbang, intimidating shout, Carbonize),
- Taunts (again difference in class, ranged vs melee aoe Taunts)

Some classes have capabilities to apply alot of pressure.
Concealment - Iron Fist Powertech - Marauders - Mercenaries.

In addition, Mobility should also be considered with versatility in ranged vs melee.
Jugg/Mara have charge because they have no way to apply any damage at ranged.
Pyrotech has variety of damage it can do at ranged, while Tactics does not but has more mobility.

EDIT: don't get me wrong, i agree that Mercs need something more. But you cannot make a correct list the way you did.

Dastey
03.25.2012 , 05:45 AM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Ehlin View Post
Sadly with the upcoming legacy systems rocket boost I don't see mercenaries ever getting this.
The thing with the rocket boots is that everyone will be getting it so it will pretty much cancel each other out. We don't know how it will work yet but try and imagine the following scenarios:

Sorcerer: Sprint + Rocket boost
Assassin: sprint + rocket boost
Juggernaut: Rocket boost + charge + intercede

A lot of classes will get some awesome combinations taking them far away (and even scoring in huttball) making this an unfair advantage and as a Mercenary we still don't have anything. We are already gimped by LoS but its not possible for us to get LoS ourselves due to low mobility.

Herew
03.25.2012 , 08:52 AM | #7
Another TM turret that's QQing about being faceraped by the melee that know how to play?
Isn't the whole pyro tree based around mobility?
Member of squadron 950A
Heru - Jedi Guardian - Bloodworthy

Dastey
03.25.2012 , 10:01 AM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Herew View Post
Another TM turret that's QQing about being faceraped by the melee that know how to play?
Isn't the whole pyro tree based around mobility?
So just because we have 2 trees we should be forced into playing 1 of them without having any possibility of choosing ourselves? No it doesn't work that way and you know it. Any class of any specc should have some kind of mobility and so far every AC does except for the mercenary

deags
03.26.2012 , 06:12 AM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Dastey View Post
The thing with the rocket boots is that everyone will be getting it so it will pretty much cancel each other out. We don't know how it will work yet but try and imagine the following scenarios:

Sorcerer: Sprint + Rocket boost
Assassin: sprint + rocket boost
Juggernaut: Rocket boost + charge + intercede

A lot of classes will get some awesome combinations taking them far away (and even scoring in huttball) making this an unfair advantage and as a Mercenary we still don't have anything. We are already gimped by LoS but its not possible for us to get LoS ourselves due to low mobility.
Legacy abilities can't be used in warzones, so a none-issue.
Vors, sith assassin of Guild Grievance
www.grievanceguild.com

AetherMcLoud
03.26.2012 , 06:19 AM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by deags View Post
Legacy abilities can't be used in warzones, so a none-issue.
This. Also the basic version of the rocket boost cost 2 million credits, so surely not everyone will have them.
We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.