Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Holding Left-Click and Right-Click Mouse Buttons

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > New Player Help
Holding Left-Click and Right-Click Mouse Buttons

kusajishii's Avatar


kusajishii
03.23.2012 , 08:09 AM | #1
Holding the left-click and right-click mouse buttons lets you move forward and steer. Is there a way to remap this to one button?

Erevan_Kindelar's Avatar


Erevan_Kindelar
03.23.2012 , 08:11 AM | #2
On the keyboard, yes. By default it is the W and Up Arrow keys. On the mouse, not sure but I do not think so, as both the left and right mouse buttons by themselves have specific roles. If your mouse has more buttons, perhaps.

Wrzaskun's Avatar


Wrzaskun
03.23.2012 , 08:12 AM | #3
Yeah, and its already in there: try pressing the 'W' button.

Smart, eh?



Alright, what you probably meant was toggle autorun. It's in the Preferences>Key Bindings> Movement. Bind something of your choosing.

In both cases you still have to press RMB to turn. Sucks, I know.

Erevan_Kindelar's Avatar


Erevan_Kindelar
03.23.2012 , 08:16 AM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by Wrzaskun View Post
Alright, what you probably meant was toggle autorun. It's in the Preferences>Key Bindings> Movement. Bind something of your choosing.
The default for Autorun toggle is "NumLock"

kusajishii's Avatar


kusajishii
03.23.2012 , 08:39 AM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Wrzaskun View Post
Yeah, and its already in there: try pressing the 'W' button.
I don't really want to use 'W' to move forward. I keybind my abilities, and I want to free up as many keyboard buttons as I can. For example 'W' is used as a keybinded ability instead of moving forward.

So now I move forward by holding LMB and RMB. But this gets very tiring for me over a long time. I plan on buying a new mouse with a side thumb button. So is there really no way to remap the thumb button to move forward and steer at the same time?

If this is not possible, maybe I need to remap the thumb button to auto-run and get used to that.

karasami's Avatar


karasami
03.23.2012 , 08:44 AM | #6
Depending on how many buttons your mouse has, bind one of them to autorun. I have a several additional buttons on my mouse and since autorun is so far from all the other keys I use, I used the secondary bind to a thumb button. I could bind one of the thumb buttons as secondary for run and another for autorun I suppose.

Natarii's Avatar


Natarii
03.23.2012 , 08:44 AM | #7
I always remap auto-run to the center mouse wheel (click) and steer with simply holding down right mouse button and dragging mouse in direction of the desired turn. the arrow buttons also work for movement by default, but have much slower turning speed than mouse turning, which is based on how fast you can swipe your mouse!
Dark Lord of Altaholics Anonymous
Sword of Ajunta Pall - Sith Empire

Baelish's Avatar


Baelish
03.23.2012 , 11:14 AM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Natarii View Post
I always remap auto-run to the center mouse wheel (click) and steer with simply holding down right mouse button and dragging mouse in direction of the desired turn. the arrow buttons also work for movement by default, but have much slower turning speed than mouse turning, which is based on how fast you can swipe your mouse!
I do something similar. I use a G700 mouse, and have mapped the button that's "forward" in my browser to be "autorun". "Back" is "move backwards". The scroll wheel tips left and right as well, and that's mapped to Strafe.

I think most mice these days have a driver which can map any of the mouse buttons to a keystroke, so you could easily set your SWTOR controls such that "forward" is <Ctrl-Ins> (or any arbitrary keycombo), then set your mouse driver to generate <Ctrl-Ins> when you press any given button. Be very wary about remapping the main buttons though. They have effects when not in the game field (so when you're interacting with dialog boxes, the toolbars and such) and jiggering with them might interfere with other functions.

One more thing to be wary of is that remapping movement keys might not be very helpful in space missions. It's possible to skid left, right, up and down using the keys for turns and forward and back, and this means you don't have to fly towards your target, and makes avoiding incoming fire much more doable. If you remap the movement keys, they might not be handily available for space missions. I use "turn left" and "turn right" so rarely that they're mapped to shift-arrowkeys, and strafe and forward/back are the unmodified arrow keys. I don't get to use key movement much in space missions.

Murah's Avatar


Murah
03.23.2012 , 11:21 AM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by karasami View Post
Depending on how many buttons your mouse has, bind one of them to autorun. I have a several additional buttons on my mouse and since autorun is so far from all the other keys I use, I used the secondary bind to a thumb button. I could bind one of the thumb buttons as secondary for run and another for autorun I suppose.
I do this as well. My autorun is bound to the mouse button by my thumb. So I thumb-click it on and off to move, and hold down the right mouse button to turn.
Reunion Guild