Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Same gender relationships clarifications?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Same gender relationships clarifications?

MusedMoose
03.23.2012 , 06:40 AM | #11
Five threads already? Wow. Thank you, Suaine, for posting all the info we have so far, and thanks natashina for posting the bit about the toggle. Here's hoping this will be the first of these threads without extensive toggle arguments.

Quote: Originally Posted by natashina View Post
I've been reading the thread over the last couple of days and I would like to share this thought. Too much blame gets put onto Bioware for the lack of SGRs among other things, when the publisher could have as much if not more to do with it. Some people are automatically trying to accuse Bioware of shortchanging the LGBT player as some sort of deliberate act. I really think this isn't the case. A lot of those kinds of decisions(that lead to time constraints) are the publishers wanting the product to be shipped out the door asap. This leaves the poor development company trying to patch or otherwise work on content they intended to be in the game at the start. I love Bioware games, but EA has had a rather shady history of rushing products or trying to milk the consumer. I give BW a ton of credit for sticking to their guns and continuing to work on SGRs despite EA rushing ToR out the door. Even with a rather hurried release, it's still the most solid launch from an mmo I've ever seen.

The quotes from the devs at Bioware have given me every reason to believe that they are determined to give a solid product for all the many types of people that play this game. I get leery of their publisher, but the devs have proven my faith in the game company time and time again.
Agreed on all counts. Judging by how we're only just getting the Legacy system with the next patch - something I think BW intended to be in the game when it shipped - I think it's fairly safe to say EA rushed out TOR in time for Christmas. It's one of the sad effects of the business, but there's nothing we can do about it now.

The fact that BW was able to tell us, months before the game was released, that SGRs would be future content makes it clear to me that SGRs were always intended to be included. As I've said before, I think the reason we didn't hear anything more about them until the guild summit is because BW is keeping the entire story update patch under wraps until they're ready to give us information about it. While I'd love to hear more - as I think we all would - I am glad for what we've had so far. We've got BW's word that we'll get SGRs this year, so all we have to do is be patient.

And yeah, the idea that SGRs not being in the game from the start is some kind of anti-LGBT shun is just idiotic.

molvin
03.23.2012 , 11:42 AM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by MusedMoose View Post
... And yeah, the idea that SGRs not being in the game from the start is some kind of anti-LGBT shun is just idiotic.
The fact that there's numerous opposite-gender flirt-options and multiple "heterosexual" companions clearly implies that they didn't consider it that important. Maybe they just forgot or maybe they said to implement heterosexual relationships is more important (maybe for economic reasons), but in any way it was a direct or indirect decision.

Resource-wise if they used let's say ~10% of time/money/employees they used for the numerous opposite-gender flirts/companions we would still see numerous of those plus at least some options for players who want their characters to impersonate a gay/bisexual entity.

Captain_Zone
03.23.2012 , 12:08 PM | #13
Ok, I do find the need to play Devil's Advocate here for a moment. The fact that SSRs/SGRs weren't in the game at launch isn't anti-LGBT, imo. This is Star Wars. The ONLY referrences to SGRs I've ever seen in Star Wars, and the only two in existence, to the best of my knowledge, are in KotOR and KotOR II. Juhani in KotOR with a non-canon Female Revan, and Luxa in KotOR II with a female Exile. That one is just a suggestion, however. As to the KotOR Juhani/Female Revan, it's just one convo and nothing comes of it.

From some reports, Lucas himself is not a fan of the idea. Ok, that's his choice. But since Star Wars is HIS IP, it will probably have consequences here. I'm hoping he loosens up a bit, though.
. OPOD
The New Jedi Code: "Keep Calm & Carry a Lightsaber"

needagasmask
03.23.2012 , 12:14 PM | #14
While it's still very few, I'd like to add Goran Beviin (Boba Fett's right hand man and best friend in the Karen Traviss novels about Mandalorians) and Medrit Vasur (his husband) from the Expanded Universe onto that list. They'd been in Star Wars canon before even KOTOR, so it hasn't been something new that Bioware barely implemented.

Captain_Zone
03.23.2012 , 12:34 PM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by needagasmask View Post
While it's still very few, I'd like to add Goran Beviin (Boba Fett's right hand man and best friend in the Karen Traviss novels about Mandalorians) and Medrit Vasur (his husband) from the Expanded Universe onto that list. They'd been in Star Wars canon before even KOTOR, so it hasn't been something new that Bioware barely implemented.
Karen Traviss has been retconned here by most people who realize how much of a hack she is. It remains to be seen how much of her writing remains "canon", if any of it.
. OPOD

Kioma
03.23.2012 , 12:51 PM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by Captain_Zone View Post
Karen Traviss has been retconned here by most people who realize how much of a hack she is. It remains to be seen how much of her writing remains "canon", if any of it.
Fans can't retcon things; only the developers, writers and (ultimately) George Lucas can do that. Fans can only ignore them which doesn't - at all - change their canon classification or validity. Hack job or not her work is accepted EU canon; C-canon, if I'm not mistaken.

Feel free to cite sources if this is outdated information, though.
::Please Stand By, Signature Assessment Probe Commencing Analysis::

Angel_of_Cain
03.23.2012 , 12:54 PM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by Kioma View Post
Fans can't retcon things; only the developers, writers and (ultimately) George Lucas can do that. Fans can only ignore them which doesn't - at all - change their canon classification or validity. Hack job or not her work is accepted EU canon; C-canon, if I'm not mistaken.

Feel free to cite sources if this is outdated information, though.
Unfortunately, you are not mistaken. I hate her
Quote: Originally Posted by battlebug View Post
can you make sword in box light sword so sword come out when opened? then if sword is back after sword, use light saber on box, and saber will be boxed after sword is out.
Quote: Originally Posted by VoidJustice View Post
The community itself ended any chance at open world pvp by rolling imperial in mass.

Kioma
03.23.2012 , 12:57 PM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by Angel_of_Cain View Post
Unfortunately, you are not mistaken. I hate her
Never read her books, so I'm afraid I couldn't comment. I've not even heard much about her style.

Captain_Zone
03.23.2012 , 01:22 PM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by Kioma View Post
Never read her books, so I'm afraid I couldn't comment. I've not even heard much about her style.
Think Stephanie Meyer, only even more self-righteous. Mandalorian pacifists.... Killing off Mara Jade for no apparent reason.... those are the two that make me do the Frankenvader yell: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!
. OPOD

Kioma
03.23.2012 , 01:29 PM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by Captain_Zone View Post
Think Stephanie Meyer, only even more self-righteous. Mandalorian pacifists.... Killing off Mara Jade for no apparent reason.... those are the two that make me do the Frankenvader yell: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!
I haven't read anything written by Stephanie Meyer, either, but I certainly get the point that you don't like her work.