Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Why everyone are in love in original saga character instead of the book ones

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > STAR WARS Discussion
Why everyone are in love in original saga character instead of the book ones

Kryptonson
03.22.2012 , 08:07 PM | #11
Because quite frankly, the OT movies were far superior to the new movies, games and books. I love the books, comics, etc. don't get me wrong. But the OT had such substance to it. Great story telling, amazing characters, and great actors. Everything that has come after it just copies the original. Name one sith lord from the EU that's not in some way a copy of vader or palpatine. Or a bounty hunter that's not a copy of Boba Fett, etc. Myself, like alot of SW fans grew up on the OT, it's a part of us, our past and our childhood, nothing else will ever come close.

Sewerus
03.23.2012 , 09:38 AM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by Kryptonson View Post
Because quite frankly, the OT movies were far superior to the new movies, games and books. I love the books, comics, etc. don't get me wrong. But the OT had such substance to it. Great story telling, amazing characters, and great actors. Everything that has come after it just copies the original. Name one sith lord from the EU that's not in some way a copy of vader or palpatine. Or a bounty hunter that's not a copy of Boba Fett, etc. Myself, like alot of SW fans grew up on the OT, it's a part of us, our past and our childhood, nothing else will ever come close.
Frankly I don't like any character from the movies at all but I love characters from games and books like:

Kyle Katarn, Mara Jade, Jaina Solo, Darth Revan, Bastila Shan, Mission Vao, Canderous Ordo aka Mandalore the Redeemer, Roan Fel, Grand Admiral Thrawn.

So I do not know why is so good in those characters from the movies, I do not find them intersting at all.
From the shards of tattered dreams, I rose - unwilling... Tossed upon tides of pain that flowed and ebbed and left me searingly awake. And more revoltingly - alive.

Molrune
03.23.2012 , 03:25 PM | #13
Dunno. They didn't bother to look for any they could get into maybe?

Legacy of the Force
Betrayal (2006), by Aaron Allston (40 ABY) (A)
Bloodlines (2006), by Karen Traviss (40 ABY) (A)
Tempest (2006), by Troy Denning (40 ABY) (A)
Exile (2007), by Aaron Allston (40 ABY) (A)
Sacrifice (2007), by Karen Traviss (40 ABY )(A)
Inferno (2007), by Troy Denning (40 ABY )(A)
Fury (2007), by Aaron Allston (40 ABY) (A)
Revelation (2008), by Karen Traviss (40 ABY) (A)
Invincible (2008), by Troy Denning (41 ABY) (A)
[edit]Crosscurrent
Crosscurrent (2010), by Paul S. Kemp (41 ABY)
Riptide (2011), by Paul S. Kemp (41 ABY)
[edit]Millennium Falcon
Millennium Falcon (2008), by James Luceno (43 ABY) (A)
[edit]Fate of the Jedi
Outcast (2009), by Aaron Allston (43.5 ABY) (A)
Omen (2009), by Christie Golden (43.5 ABY) (A)
Abyss (2009), by Troy Denning (43.5 ABY) (A)
Backlash (2010), by Aaron Allston (44 ABY) (A)
Allies (2010), by Christie Golden (44 ABY) (A)
Vortex (2010), by Troy Denning (44 ABY) (A)
Conviction (2011), by Aaron Allston (44.5 ABY) (A)
Ascension (2011), by Christie Golden (44.5 ABY) (A)
Apocalypse (2012), by Troy Denning (44.5 ABY) (A) [1])

I really liked all of these. Very well done. Great characters. Even still has all the old favorites too, like Luke, and Han, Boba...

But great new characters as well, like Ben Skywalker, and Jason Solo. And one very very evil B*tch that even the Sith are afraid of. Great series.

Datamonger
03.23.2012 , 04:36 PM | #14
Yeah, no real incentive for me to start reading any of the books. I can imagine it's the same with most people. Too many books to look into, and not nearly enough time in our lives. If you have the time for it, kudos.

GrandAdmrlThrawn
03.24.2012 , 01:14 AM | #15
My favorite characters happen to be from the EU. My favorite characters are Jacen Solo, Grand Admiral Thrawn, and Wedge Antilles (who was created in the movies but fleshed out in the EU). I like Luke and Han from the movies but most of the characters I really like are from the EU like my three favorite characters as well as Jaina Solo and Tenel Ka and so many others.
Master Jedi
"Q: Which side of an Ewok has the most fur? A: The outside!" - Jacen Solo

Molrune
03.24.2012 , 07:36 AM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by Datamonger View Post
Yeah, no real incentive for me to start reading any of the books. I can imagine it's the same with most people. Too many books to look into, and not nearly enough time in our lives. If you have the time for it, kudos.
I tend to read more than I play games. That's just me though. The books I posted previously however, I've never actually read. I listened to them. Audiobooks; great for fallen asleep to, or cleaning house to.

jarjarloves
03.24.2012 , 07:40 AM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by amantheil View Post
I'd think it would be obvious.

A lot more people have seen the movies than have read the books. Even people who have read the books, grew up on the movies and have childhood memories of them. And they only read the books after watching the movies and falling in love with them that way.

And plus, while I've only read a few of the books - they just weren't any good. Maybe they've improved. There are a lot of them, and you'll have variable quality. But I read a couple and didn't really have any desire to read more.

I'll grant you that the three prequel movies are abominably bad in their own right.
pretty much this.

Remember its a VERY VERY VERY Small percentage of people who have ever read an EU book.

Probably less then 1% of people who have seen Star Wars have ever read a star wars book.

I have read many of the EU book and for the most part they aren't very good. Even those that are good have still never made a character anywhere near as good as the OT main characters.

Pirana
03.24.2012 , 08:20 AM | #18
Simply because people are visual creatures, especially males. And the there's a large percentage of males interested in Star Wars.

Me personally. You couldn't pay me to read a book, I'd rather be in the gym or doing something productive outdoors when not nerding out to this game.
Beta - April 16, 2014 (Retired)
The Journey Is Often Greater Than The Destination - Pirana

Captain_Zone
03.24.2012 , 09:41 AM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by Sewerus View Post
Frankly I don't like any character from the movies at all but I love characters from games and books like:

Kyle Katarn, Mara Jade, Jaina Solo, Darth Revan, Bastila Shan, Mission Vao, Canderous Ordo aka Mandalore the Redeemer, Roan Fel, Grand Admiral Thrawn.

So I do not know why is so good in those characters from the movies, I do not find them intersting at all.
Kyle Katarn goes without saying. No need to even name him. It's just implied.
. OPOD
Shivalka: Darth Baras is quite large, isn't he?
Joran Karn: You, my dear Sith, have just mastered the art of understatement.

Idunhavaname
03.24.2012 , 09:50 AM | #20
I love Thrawn more than any other characters in SW universe so I don't know what you're talking about. And im sure there are many more Mara Jade fanboys out there.

RIP orange pixel